Lt. Commander
# 101
06-21-2009, 09:16 PM
8472 was defeated by the Borg. They've had to adapt themselves and adopt new technologies for their intents in our space.
Lt. Commander
# 102
06-21-2009, 09:49 PM
a card ship in the badlands can you ask for more.

your making it very hard to wait on Beta and the release of the game i cant wait to play!
Lt. Commander
# 103
06-22-2009, 01:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorD View Post

However, I'm disheartened to see Species 8472 wearing clothing and a weapon made of anything but their flesh, since all of their technology is biological, even their ships are completely biological. It is true, they made a station out of what looked like metal in order to simulate Starfleet Academy, but even in that case, the real trick was a biological one that allowed them to look completely human.

They're already completely phaser resistant, it's only lacing the phaser beams with Borg nanoprobes that allowed phasers to work, and they are strong enough to rip through the hull of a starship using their bare hands! You're simply not thinking radically enough when it comes to their technology. If they're going to adopt body armor (which doesn't fit their characteristics, they should be modifying their immune system) and beam weapons, you need to think Zerg and Tyranids. If Species 8472 should grow a new organ on their head, or hands that can emit the same beams their ships emit, they should develop focused psychic attacks, their claws should become thicker, longer, and harder, they should shoot shield piercing spines that infect people the same way their claws can infect, and for body armor their skin should thicken and harden. Not only that, they should be able to make these changes on the fly, like going into combat mode.
Maybe the armour is a biological material but just looks like metal :O

they did it looks epic maybe a little bright but still epic nonetheless

then that'll just turn them into a "instant death" npc .. making them so badass no one can kill it :O which is fine with me.. maybe for a player event they could spawn one at the noob spawns (Starfleet academy)(Klingon place) then we can watch it running around going crazy O.o

but it looks so cool Species 8472 version of Predator O.o.. we're soooo dead
Lt. Commander
# 104
06-22-2009, 08:16 AM
Nice read. I also think that screenshot is from the badlands.
Lt. Commander
# 105
06-22-2009, 10:08 AM
Has there been any indication that the Federation faction will only be made of Starfleet ships? Could it be that Cardassians are part of the Federation but have their own ships & Uniforms? I thought that the Kilingon faction was going to be this way, each species having it's on ship types.
Lt. Commander
# 106
06-22-2009, 11:25 AM
Quote:
Space combat in STO is tactical and measured. You have to think about positioning, transferring power to boost weapons or shields, when to use your crew's abilities, and what is the best way to exploit your opponent's weaknesses. There's a lot more to it than "fire phasers"! [In fact, one] of the things we realized from looking at other Trek games was that we didn't want to make a dogfighter. We needed to pace ship combat so that there was time to make tactical decisions. With ships zooming and rolling around the screen at top speed, that can be tough to do.

I dont know about you guys, but to me this says that combat is not going to be realtime. I am extremely disappointed by this fact.
Lt. Commander
# 107
06-22-2009, 11:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo999 View Post
Maybe the armour is a biological material but just looks like metal :O

they did it looks epic maybe a little bright but still epic nonetheless

then that'll just turn them into a "instant death" npc .. making them so badass no one can kill it :O which is fine with me.. maybe for a player event they could spawn one at the noob spawns (Starfleet academy)(Klingon place) then we can watch it running around going crazy O.o

but it looks so cool Species 8472 version of Predator O.o.. we're soooo dead
8472 Are EPIC!!!!!!
Lt. Commander
# 108
06-22-2009, 04:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnofBlood View Post
8472 Are EPIC!!!!!!
but 8472 in armor is EPIC FAIL!!!!!!! :p

by the way.. why does the phaser rifle look like a machinegun from nowadays and not like in tng for example?
Lt. Commander
# 109
06-23-2009, 03:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KL0k View Post
but 8472 in armor is EPIC FAIL!!!!!!! :p

by the way.. why does the phaser rifle look like a machinegun from nowadays and not like in tng for example?
EPIC SUCSESS!!! the 8472 rules
Lt. Commander
# 110
06-23-2009, 06:27 AM
Everything looks good,

except...

why the hell, is species 8472... wearing bulky metal armor with swords hanging off their hands...

I thought I gave up mutant orcs and swords and boards and mutant birds, and games that play like turds.