Career Officer
# 11
10-12-2012, 02:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirsitsalot View Post
I'm tired of it. To Cryptic I say give me a reason to spend real money on STO that doesn't amount to some fluff item.
1000000 % agree with you
swimwear off risa not fixed
system Lord Baal is dead
Quote:
Originally Posted by valoreah View Post
It's not their fault you feel trolled by the new ability to be immune to your disco ball, sorry'boutit.
Career Officer
# 12
10-12-2012, 05:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoleviathan99 View Post
1) True.

3) Agreed somewhat but what SW does is release new powers regularly and more or less TV episode quality questlines. The flipside is that it was expensive to make and Funcom had big layoffs already.
This is why micro transaction store are ruining MMo's. People in our highly consumption based society would rather trade money for some perceived leg up. ie, not have to play through a game and get to end game stuff faster.

The problem with this is that it instantly devalues your time spent in game, and you no longer get any time spent on actual tried and true playable content. Instead you have made a f2p game more expensive than a subscription based model.

Everything in the game since before conversion to f2p has been focused on the micro transactions, and that is why after almost 3 years, we have had squat for playable content except for a few short FE's.

If this was a normal sub based model, we would have had a expansion by now with 5 times the so called micro store content, and it would have been astronomically cheaper.
Career Officer
# 13
10-12-2012, 05:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by trenttyler View Post
This is why micro transaction store are ruining MMo's. People in our highly consumption based society would rather trade money for some perceived leg up. ie, not have to play through a game and get to end game stuff faster.

The problem with this is that it instantly devalues your time spent in game, and you no longer get any time spent on actual tried and true playable content. Instead you have made a f2p game more expensive than a subscription based model.

Everything in the game since before conversion to f2p has been focused on the micro transactions, and that is why after almost 3 years, we have had squat for playable content except for a few short FE's.

If this was a normal sub based model, we would have had a expansion by now with 5 times the so called micro store content, and it would have been astronomically cheaper.
I don't really agree. Achievement is NOT AT ALL a factor for many players. It's only one reason why people play. I find that's the group that seems to feel the most cheated by an aspect of gameplay being up for sale but the Achiever group is also the most resistant to spending money to begin with. So I'm not certain there's as much to gain from catering too heavily to the group.

Explorers spend to explore more as WoW, EQ, and GW expansions show. Killers spend to kill more, as World of Tanks shows. Socializers spend to impress people and flaunt their own sense of style or resources, as Sims games and League of Legends show.

I'm the most stumped on how Achievers spend money. You can get them to spend time. You can get them to spend money if they're more Explorer/Socializer/Killer than they are Achiever and therefore willing to spend to get to the other side of an achievement.

But someone who is primarily Achiever seems primarily inclined to "work for it" and is resistant to spending money or acknowledging other people positively for doing so.

So I don't know if primary Achiever types fit into a F2P world. If they do, it almost seems like it has to be a cruel role that they're cast into where the other three types are encouraged to spend to outpace them, making the Achiever into the "villain" who devs inadvertantly or intentionally rally the other three types to crush by spending money.
Captain
# 14
10-12-2012, 06:09 AM
Whether or not The Secret World is an MMO that one likes is beside the point. The point is that Funcome has made it part of their mission statement to focus on releasing monthly content. They have proven their commitment to this task so far by delivering on their promise.

They are the only developer I know of that is doing that.

I would say that they have intentionally developed a few months worth of content in advance and held it back intentionally. And I say good for them. They ALL should do that. Mechanics are released with content patches in TSW, which are where the bulk of the workload probably lies, but their story missions are probably the easiest to produce, no doubt due to them having efficient tools to work with and having a live team structured around releasing regular playable content.

That is the direction they have chosen. Oh and The Secret World has a cash shop as well. But the difference between Funcom and Cryptic is that from the onset, Funcome has put forth effort to produce playable content while Cryptic puts most of its focus on regular releases of cash shop junk.

There is a tangible commitment on Funcom's part to produce gameplay that I do not see on the part of other developers. They have established a precedent that other developers would be wise to adopt.
I personally want a Star Trek game that is actually Star Trek. On a qualitative level that could be a lot of different things for a lot of different people. But on a quantitative level, if the developers were to watch star trek and make the game like what they see, then at least it will be a shot in the right direction, as far as I am concerned.
Commander
# 15
10-12-2012, 06:10 AM
B/c Cryptic / PWE doesn't give a hoot about $tar Trek?
EXPLORE.

Dec '07 Account
I EARNED 1000 days...I didn't BUY it! New LTS=Death to Vet.System: 10/10/12 Never Forget
Something should be done for those who cared enough to have a 1000+ day sub.

Last edited by xenor002; 10-12-2012 at 06:16 AM.
Rihannsu
# 16
10-12-2012, 06:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirsitsalot View Post
Whether or not The Secret World is an MMO that one likes is beside the point. The point is that Funcome has made it part of their mission statement to focus on releasing monthly content. They have proven their commitment to this task so far by delivering on their promise.

They are the only developer I know of that is doing that.

I would say that they have intentionally developed a few months worth of content in advance and held it back intentionally. And I say good for them. They ALL should do that. Mechanics are released with content patches in TSW, which are where the bulk of the workload probably lies, but their story missions are probably the easiest to produce, no doubt due to them having efficient tools to work with and having a live team structured around releasing regular playable content.
cryptic also made a similar statement to update its game faster than anyone else when STO launched and for a time they did. There were updates and new missions coming thick and fast for the first 8-10 months.

whether funcome release content now at a fast pace is really beside the point, the key is can they keep that pace up in 6 months or a year or 2 years time?

i dont know their team size, their development tools, the funding, or quite frankly even anything about their game but dont get attached to any kind of breakneck speed because chances are it will slow down, much like every other mmo ever made, at which point im sure their forums will erupt wanting to know why the next new mmo on the block is making content so much faster than them.

House of Cards - Lvl 46 Fed mission
Commander
# 17
10-12-2012, 07:38 AM
Perhaps, I have grown cynical and less optimistic than many would like. However, from my perspective PWE (and now Cryptic by extension) is in the business of making as much cash as they can by way of limited, cheap, content delivery in a free to play but pay to progress gaming environment. New content is becoming new items to buy or grind for in order to change your playing experience within whats already there. Increasingly (and like their other games) the best gear is becoming linked to Zen by way of dilithium in this case and the ordinary crafting and EC based economy is becoming marginalized in favor of such sales they control as it is based on RMT and ensures they get their actual money somehow.

In consideration, I do not expect much new story content outside of the occasional featured episode that plays into the new developing economy somehow. Right now Funcom?s Secret World is still controlled by people that love the IP and are willing to pour their financial future into its growth with a prayer for success. STO is in a phase where it exists to be milked for its worth and no more. It is what it is.
Career Officer
# 18
10-12-2012, 07:43 AM
It's much more fun to make you pay for simply things, then let you play for complex things.
My name may say "PWE member", but I will never be.
-NEVER Forget the Screwups and ignorance made towards the people who supported the game through 2011
Don't look silly, don't call it "Zen-Store" - Don't waste devs time, Post proper bug-reports - I don't like Gekos
Commander
# 19
10-12-2012, 08:02 AM
It's simple. PWE owns Cryptic, PWE is an asian MMO company, so of course they're going to switch it over to a grind/pay to win oriented setup.

Do not expect new story content unless it directly ties in with a way to make money. I would honestly NOT be surprised if new story content eventually requires a cstore purchase item to unlock and is billed as "expansions".
Captain
# 20
10-12-2012, 08:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by talien View Post
It's simple. PWE owns Cryptic, PWE is an asian MMO company, so of course they're going to switch it over to a grind/pay to win oriented setup.

Do not expect new story content unless it directly ties in with a way to make money. I would honestly NOT be surprised if new story content eventually requires a cstore purchase item to unlock and is billed as "expansions".
So far as I know, this would actually go against PWE's MO; I believe that they pretty much require all games to remain entirely free.

Also, PWE seems to claim (quite possibly dishonestly) that buying Cryptic was in hopes of helping them understand Western gamers more, so maybe there's that to help... maybe.

In any event, my hope is that Season 7 and 8 will prove to boost content in a pretty strong way. It's entirely possible that this will not be the case; however, it will show whether or not they've been taking all the time to train all those hires into something that attracts people or not.