Captain
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 3,553
# 271
10-12-2012, 10:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexindcobra View Post
Thats only the Odyssey. Thats only one ship and can't be representation of all the other cruisers when they don't get these natural boost.
Did you read the whole post? The only reason it gets those boosts is because the accursed thing costs $25. It's a pay to win system.
It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once.
Tired of Wasting EC and Time trying to get Superior Romulan Operative BOffs? Here's a cheap and easy way to get them, with an almost 100% chance of success.
Why the Devs can't make PvE content harder.
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,693
# 272
10-12-2012, 11:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hereticknight085 View Post
Did you read the whole post? The only reason it gets those boosts is because the accursed thing costs $25. It's a pay to win system.
By that logic my Excelsior should be in a similar position, I paid 20 quid for it, I don't know how that works out in $s, but it's comparatively balanced against the assault cruiser, you know... the free thing... In a P2W system my Excelsior should be nearly as good as your Oddy, but it's not, you know why it's not? Try because it was made when everything was balanced. The oddy? No, that's not a fair test, that's P2W, hell the free escorts make BOTH free cruisers look like utter rubbish that they could blow up in seconds (which they could), that's not balance balance is the oddy vs a patrol escort... "Why?" you ask? because tactical has OP career powers which combined with escorts weapons which make anything else look rubbish (I'm sorry but it's true) means the only way to stand up to them is with P2L or some horribly specialised build that is not as fun to fly.

I have suggested a way to fix this however but I know it will never happen

See here for the latest of my ideas
Captain
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 3,553
# 273
10-12-2012, 11:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamkafei View Post
By that logic my Excelsior should be in a similar position, I paid 20 quid for it, I don't know how that works out in $s, but it's comparatively balanced against the assault cruiser, you know... the free thing... In a P2W system my Excelsior should be nearly as good as your Oddy, but it's not, you know why it's not? Try because it was made when everything was balanced. The oddy? No, that's not a fair test, that's P2W, hell the free escorts make BOTH free cruisers look like utter rubbish that they could blow up in seconds (which they could), that's not balance balance is the oddy vs a patrol escort... "Why?" you ask? because tactical has OP career powers which combined with escorts weapons which make anything else look rubbish (I'm sorry but it's true) means the only way to stand up to them is with P2L or some horribly specialised build that is not as fun to fly.

I have suggested a way to fix this however but I know it will never happen

See here for the latest of my ideas
Odyssey Tactical Cruiser costs 2500 zen points. That translates into 25 US Dollars. Excelsior costs 2000 zen, which translates into 20 US Dollars. So the Odyssey still costs 125% of what your excelsior costs, so naturally it will perform AT LEAST 25% better.

Also your Excelsior is a Rear Admiral-Lower Half ship, whereas the Odyssey is a Vice Admiral ship. So again, it's a tier lower and should be expected to perform as such.

In addition, the Excelsior also has 3 engi BOff, and NO UNIVERSAL SLOTS. The Odyssey has one engi, and two universal. So it already has the potential to be a much much higher damage output ship.

Also, the Excelsior gains +5 to all power levels, whereas the Tactical Odyssey has +10 to weapons and +5 to shields and aux. That +5 power over the Excelsior in weapons, in addition to the possibility of an additional +10 weapons power from saucer sep means that the Tactical Odyssey can sustain higher damage per volley, which results in higher overall DPS.

Lastly, just look at overall stats. The oddy can tank better simply because it has more hull, stronger shields, and 10 consoles. It can turn better when saucer sep is active.

Trying to compare the two ships is like trying to compare an F-16 to an F-22. There are too many similarities, but the disparity in the differences are huge. If you really want to compare the Excelsior to something, compare it to another tier 4 c-store ship. Don't try to compare it to a tier 5 one.
It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once.
Tired of Wasting EC and Time trying to get Superior Romulan Operative BOffs? Here's a cheap and easy way to get them, with an almost 100% chance of success.
Why the Devs can't make PvE content harder.
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,693
# 274
10-12-2012, 11:38 AM
how about I compare it to it's CMDR counter-part? Oh wait... same damage output... (using the same 6 beams and similar engi boff skills) oh and same shield tankability... why ever did I get the retrofit? Ii can just fly the standard 1 around it'll still outperform the sovy!
Captain
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 3,553
# 275
10-12-2012, 11:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamkafei View Post
how about I compare it to it's CMDR counter-part? Oh wait... same damage output... (using the same 6 beams and similar engi boff skills) oh and same shield tankability... why ever did I get the retrofit? Ii can just fly the standard 1 around it'll still outperform the sovy!
I think now you're mocking me, because I am almost sure you see the 2 fewer weapons, 13k less hull points and 4 fewer consoles, in addition to the lower ranking BOff slots...
It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once.
Tired of Wasting EC and Time trying to get Superior Romulan Operative BOffs? Here's a cheap and easy way to get them, with an almost 100% chance of success.
Why the Devs can't make PvE content harder.
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,693
# 276
10-12-2012, 11:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hereticknight085 View Post
I think now you're mocking me, because I am almost sure you see the 2 fewer weapons, 13k less hull points and 4 fewer consoles, in addition to the lower ranking BOff slots...
Please see this it explains my point perfectly, I did the testing myself and there are the results
Captain
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 3,553
# 277
10-12-2012, 11:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamkafei View Post
Please see this it explains my point perfectly, I did the testing myself and there are the results
Read your thread. Still wouldn't want to be in your Cmdr Excelsior when a death pea/iso charge comes your way. Would want to be in a your Rear Admiral-Lower Half Excelsior if a death pea/iso charge headed your way. But in all honesty I always hated the Excelsior. That is an ugly ship man... no offense to you and your taste, but that ship... yeeeeesh... *shudders*. I agree with Scotty on that one.

But still, I wouldn't want to put your Cmdr Excelsior up against an AC. You'd probably get wiped. It would take a while, but in the end, the AC has access to more tactical abilities and is a much tankier ship. Harder to kill and can hit harder. I don't think you'd win bro.
It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once.
Tired of Wasting EC and Time trying to get Superior Romulan Operative BOffs? Here's a cheap and easy way to get them, with an almost 100% chance of success.
Why the Devs can't make PvE content harder.
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,693
# 278
10-12-2012, 12:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hereticknight085 View Post
Read your thread. Still wouldn't want to be in your Cmdr Excelsior when a death pea/iso charge comes your way.
Been there, done that, lived to tell the tale (and help a captain level escort defend Kang in CSE)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hereticknight085 View Post
But still, I wouldn't want to put your Cmdr Excelsior up against an AC. You'd probably get wiped. It would take a while, but in the end, the AC has access to more tactical abilities and is a much tankier ship. Harder to kill and can hit harder. I don't think you'd win bro.
Also I'd love the opportunity to try, my RA Excelsior has taken down Oddys both with an Engineer at the helm using ESTF standard equipment and with a grade 41 Tac using nothing on the ship better than purple Mk VIII (it took some time and I thought a couple of times I was done but I won) So I'd love the challenge
Captain
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 3,553
# 279
10-12-2012, 12:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamkafei View Post
Also I'd love the opportunity to try, my RA Excelsior has taken down Oddys both with an Engineer at the helm using ESTF standard equipment and with a grade 41 Tac using nothing on the ship better than purple Mk VIII (it took some time and I thought a couple of times I was done but I won) So I'd love the challenge
Hm... I would offer to challenge you myself, but atm I am set up for PvE, and too lazy to alter that XD. But I think that oddy must have been pretty bad, since stats alone would make an oddy able to survive just fine against an excelsior, or you really are that epic. I would accept either explanation tbh.
It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once.
Tired of Wasting EC and Time trying to get Superior Romulan Operative BOffs? Here's a cheap and easy way to get them, with an almost 100% chance of success.
Why the Devs can't make PvE content harder.
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,693
# 280
10-12-2012, 12:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hereticknight085 View Post
Hm... I would offer to challenge you myself, but atm I am set up for PvE, and too lazy to alter that XD.
Well I'm the same, I won't call you a coward for turning me down under any circumstances (I'm not like that).

My point is that the RA Excelsior should have something over the CMDR version to show for the extra boff skills and consoles but it doesn't in terms of shield tanking or in damage output... Strange don't you think?
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:52 AM.