Career Officer
# 21
10-12-2012, 08:36 AM
i'd much rather spend my Zen on new FE Missions (or any other type of real content) than on stupid LockBoxes.

on that note, i'm sitting on 10.000 Zen and have nothing to buy in the C-Store because i boycott LockBoxes / Keys, have no need yet for Ship Modules and have pretty much everything else that makes any sense at all for me to own.
there are still a few ships left that i could buy, but those would gain me nothing because they are already outclassed or just not fitting my playstyle at all (SCI ships *ugh*).

With that in mind, the C-Store releases have gotten pretty slow these last few months, it seems to me that everything that would go into the C-Store is now just redirected to LockBoxes, and by that also turned into a PER CHAR thing, which is only more reason for my 11 Char Account to boycott that nonsense.

Also, i have 3 LockBox Ships, collecting DUST because there is nothing to play besides the occasional 5 minute long PvE Queue match for fleetmarks with a 10 minute wait in the queue (i blame KDF side population, or odd hours i play at).

I'm DONE with the STF grind for now, i have all 3 STF XII Ground sets, each on another character, this new reputation system sounds to me like cartering to the casual player who does not like random drops and is whining when he didn't get his drop after the 10th time playing KAGE.
In short, if i can have 3 full ground Sets since they released it, while only playing STFs occasional when i'm in the mood for some grinding, then you can do one full set in that time easily instead of complaining about not getting it.

What i am personally concerned about is, what happens to the option to turn EDC into dilithium when that reputation system comes along and the old store is being ripped out?
Also, with having 3 full sets, do these chars need to run through all STFs another 150 times to get their reputation up?

ok enough with STFs...

obviously i'm not opposed to grinding or i wouldn't do it so much.
but i bought this game because its STAR TREK and i want STAR TREK STORY!
And i'm not seeing much of that lately.

But then... i always get a bit grumpy about the game not adding new stuff in the time right before a season update hits and one is coming up next month or so.... so i will just have to sit and wait and HOPE that they aren't screwing more things up for me than they are improving.

Oh and the next FE is scheduled for Season 8, so hopefully before March 2013?
(i did not expect Season 7 so soon to be honest, looks like they are going back to 3 - 4 Seasons a year instead of just 2 like last year)
Career Officer
# 22
10-12-2012, 08:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerobang View Post
i'd much rather spend my Zen on new FE Missions (or any other type of real content) than on stupid LockBoxes.
sooooooooooooooo thisssssssssssssssss ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
swimwear off risa not fixed
Quote:
Originally Posted by macronius View Post
This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by valoreah View Post
It's not their fault you feel trolled by the new ability to be immune to your disco ball, sorry'boutit.
Republic Veteran
# 23
10-12-2012, 08:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by red01999 View Post
Also, PWE seems to claim (quite possibly dishonestly) that buying Cryptic was in hopes of helping them understand Western gamers more
I remember this too. They are not doing a very good job of it, that's for sure.

"We understand the western market! Our western market!"
____
STO community Doom-O-Meter: |||||||||
Career Officer
# 24
10-12-2012, 08:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by commanderkassy View Post
I remember this too. They are not doing a very good job of it, that's for sure.

"We understand the western market! Our western market!"
They also call Cryptic their R&D department.

I think a very real part of "understanding western markets" is "understanding how we can adapt our business models to western markets with a minimum number of changes."

To that end, I really think they're allowing STO to run at no profit and Champions to run at a loss. I say this because they released their numbers for projected Season 6 total revenue and if you multiply that times 3, you get around $5 million. Which is the cost of... about 50 employees on payroll at average developer salaries for the bay area.

STO could have turned a huge profit with F2P but instead they sunk all the money back into expanding STO... but it also doesn't look like that was put into things devs traditionally wanted like developing Klingons as an "on par" faction.

Which would you reinvest in STO to a point where it doesn't turn a profit?

Same reason they call Cryptic their R&D department.

Their job isn't to teach PWE how to run a WoW-style traditional MMO. Their job is to take the PWE bag of tricks and figure out how to fine tune all the rough edges. The West is a smaller gaming market than SE Asia so they have to figure out how to proportionally reduce player churn while still using staple PWE monetization tactics.

It's not a matter of "teaching PWE how western MMOs were run 5 years ago." It's a matter of, "How do we fine tune boxes, grind mechanics, and F2P to make Western players love them?" It's about understanding Western players to turn them into something more like Eastern players.

I'm actually okay with that as a working mission statement. Your mileage may vary.
Rihannsu
# 25
10-12-2012, 11:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoleviathan99 View Post
<snipped to specific part responding to but still very interesting reading to me>...

It's not a matter of "teaching PWE how western MMOs were run 5 years ago." It's a matter of, "How do we fine tune boxes, grind mechanics, and F2P to make Western players love them?" It's about understanding Western players to turn them into something more like Eastern players.
Now take that idea and apply it to STOs "end-game" mechanics related to the STFs.

With STFs, you grind away in the hopes the RNG rewards you with currency with which to buy shinies. If RNG is with you or on your side, you get the currency quickly and buy your shinies.

Now comes into play the reputation system that extends the time spent in game needed to acquire currency by adding in the reputation layer to grind thru in order to have the opportunity to purchase shinies. Basically, the pole that the carrot token dangles from just got a tad bit longer.

Hopefully, there will be some "different" scenery to grind thru with all the new shinies recently released in the form of ships.
Career Officer
# 26
10-12-2012, 11:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by red01999 View Post
So far as I know, this would actually go against PWE's MO; I believe that they pretty much require all games to remain entirely free.

Also, PWE seems to claim (quite possibly dishonestly) that buying Cryptic was in hopes of helping them understand Western gamers more, so maybe there's that to help... maybe.

In any event, my hope is that Season 7 and 8 will prove to boost content in a pretty strong way. It's entirely possible that this will not be the case; however, it will show whether or not they've been taking all the time to train all those hires into something that attracts people or not.
In global business, a common strategy when entering a new regional market is through acquisition. This allows you to acquire an established base instead of spending tons of money in marketing, infrastructure, market research, etc. For example, back when I managed acquisitions for my company, we commonly targeted soon-to-be competitors who had contracts with influential clients (who in many cases wouldn't otherwise use us). After the acquisition, we slowly phased out the old products and move our new clients to our core products. This approach saved us millions of dollars in start-up funding and the client list we received made us immediately a serious contender for future business.

So to put it bluntly, When PWE bought Cryptic, what they really bought was you (the clients) and the western IP's they owned. They weren't buying the games or the business models (because lets face it the model was failing or else Atari wouldn't have sold in the first place). Go back and re-read that original comment from PWE with this in mind and everything PWE has so far will make sense.
Kobayashi Maru

"Holographic tissue paper for the holographic runny nose. Don't give them to patients." - The Doctor
Commander
# 27
10-12-2012, 12:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobayashlmaru View Post
In global business, a common strategy when entering a new regional market is through acquisition. This allows you to acquire an established base instead of spending tons of money in marketing, infrastructure, market research, etc. For example, back when I managed acquisitions for my company, we commonly targeted soon-to-be competitors who had contracts with influential clients (who in many cases wouldn't otherwise use us). After the acquisition, we slowly phased out the old products and move our new clients to our core products. This approach saved us millions of dollars in start-up funding and the client list we received made us immediately a serious contender for future business.

So to put it bluntly, When PWE bought Cryptic, what they really bought was you (the clients) and the western IP's they owned. They weren't buying the games or the business models (because lets face it the model was failing or else Atari wouldn't have sold in the first place). Go back and re-read that original comment from PWE with this in mind and everything PWE has so far will make sense.
Yup, we're a test bed. That's why the lock boxes keep getting tweaked with each new box.
Empire Veteran
# 28
10-12-2012, 12:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirsitsalot View Post
OP *snip*.
Previously having been a Funcom player, Anarchy Online (for many years) and Age of Conan, I can assure you that these content updates are not the standard opperating procedure for Funcom. Indeed it has been the norm for very long gaps between content updates, let alone the long gaps between bug fixes.

All these recent Contet updates could be just stuff they already had made, or were finishing when the launch date arrived, and simply didn't make the deadline.
OR
They could have intentionally held them back for the illusion of rapid content development.
Handle: @kirian_darkstar
Fleets: Warriors of the Phoenix, Kirian Industries
Three years and still no Captain Klaa hair...
Captain
# 29
10-12-2012, 01:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkstarkirian View Post
Previously having been a Funcom player, Anarchy Online (for many years) and Age of Conan, I can assure you that these content updates are not the standard opperating procedure for Funcom. Indeed it has been the norm for very long gaps between content updates, let alone the long gaps between bug fixes.

All these recent Contet updates could be just stuff they already had made, or were finishing when the launch date arrived, and simply didn't make the deadline.
OR
They could have intentionally held them back for the illusion of rapid content development.
Or it could indicate a change in direction concerning what they feel they need to do to deliver a product with serious longevity.

I'm sure that they did have much of the post launch monthly issues developed in advanced and held them back while they continue to work of future ones. That way they stay several months ahead of the curve.

As it is, people were maxing their characters within the first 30 days. Issue #1 "Unleashed" cam out before the fist 30 days were over, while people were still in their free month. Issue #2 "Digging Deeper" was scheduled to release before the end of the second 30 days. But because of the layoffs and subsequent re-organization of the team, it got delayed. Then they ran into a major gamebreaking bug that was discovered the day of the rescheduled release. And from what I understand, it was a nasty one that was very hard to track down and would have been an open door to a big exploit. Issue 2 released in the latter half of the third 30 day period. But then just a few days later they released Issue #3 "The Cat God". So this suggests that yes. The mission content has been developed in advance and intended to be doled out every month so there will always be something new each month. The bug in Issue 2 was related to the new mechanics they were releasing in addition to the mission content. And Issue #4 "Big Trouble in the Big Apple" is on track to be delivered before the end of October. Issues 5 and 6 are expected in November and December respectively...

If Cryptic were to adopt a monthly content development process in a similar way, and use it to showcase the things we can get on the C-store, Lobi Store and in Lockboxes, then they can drive sales while growing their game.

I know... It won't happen...
I personally want a Star Trek game that is actually Star Trek. On a qualitative level that could be a lot of different things for a lot of different people. But on a quantitative level, if the developers were to watch star trek and make the game like what they see, then at least it will be a shot in the right direction, as far as I am concerned.