Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 241
08-14-2010, 12:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelineAaele View Post
Quote:



In either case, it was a reward as you say.. Then A: it shouldnt be availible at all *or* B: It should be availible for a fee


Just like there is a reward for completing a mission, you must fulfill those requirements. Unless of course, people should be allowed to just buy them for a fee.

They have traits like "pig-Headed", "Dumb Luck" and "FEline Instinct" that are unavailable to anyone else, AKA Unique. And some of them are very valuable, a much lower chance of being held in place and shot at is a very good advantage.


My arguement is that these races are not better or worse than the existing - They get X advantage but also Y disadvantage.


My argument is that those players get to buy an advantage over other players, that is what it comes down to. They, at some points, may have a disadvantage, but that does not negate the fact that they are giving real world money to have a Unique advantage.


If they were just visual, I would be okay with it. Heck, I'm even ok with them putting in those kinds of races (Pakleds or Caitians) because they are rare in Trek. But species that are commonly shown (Ferengi, Klingon, Tellarite) just ticks me off, especially when they don't fit with the (poor) reasoning of the C-Store.


Starfleet is still a mainly a human organization.. Nowhere have I seen or heard of there being a majority of aliens in Starfleet (outside the other factions ofcourse) - Alien captains should be possible, but uncommon.

In almost every book and or game I have ever played, there are tons of Aliens because it all comes down to budget and point. The majority of people shown are Humans because 1) There is just not enough budget in the shows for so many aliens and 2) The shows are mostly about the Human Spirit and this game is not.



Maybe not in the shows, but they by the end of the shows, there was inferrence that more would come.
Especially the Ferengi, considering all the reforms Rom would make.
Heck, in several alternate timelines, Ferengi/Klingons have been shown in Starfleet.


Again, to quote one of my favorite actors in the series - Logic dictates that a race to whom honour is essential to existance, would not likely join with another organization at war with their own people.. Hell, even Martok refused to challenge Gowron, even when he knew his orders were given with a personal (and dishonorable) agenda.. I quote again "I swore an oath" Martok was willing to do anything and everything, he was ordered, because honour demanded it.

Remember : Honour is life


Except that the Klingons in Starfleet may see the Chancellor's actions as dishonorable and unworthy of following. AKA Worf during the Klingon-Federation War. Besides that, How does that legitimize charging for that option?

Yet in this case he chose to side with the Klingon Empire, because he found their actions honourable.. Even one of the loading screens, tell how Starfleet Intelligence suspects that there are infiltrators in all ranks/tiers of Starfleet (remember that Admiral Zelle and the "Vulcan" ambassador?) - The loading screens also tell us how the Klingons executed a large number of Undine infiltrators after they had conquered the Gorn.. So, clearly the Klingons are not "wrong"

The Duras sisters were never honourable... It isnt suggested anywhere.. The majority of Klingons would be against their actions.

In the DS9 incident, he was against the Empire, because he found their course of action dishonorable.. It is later shown that he was correct in this decision, since Gowron clearly had personal agendas, and used dishonourable methods to further his case (like sending Martok on impossible missions - With the sole intent of discrediting him)

Stricktly speaking, his choices were "treason", but really.. How much do a oath to a liar mean?


First off, he din't "side with the Klingon Empire", it was a civil war between two factions of the Empire trying to gain power. He joined Gowron because the other side was the House of Duras (his arch-enemy) and if he could help Gowron win, he could regain honor for his family. Also, if the majority of Klingons were against the Duras sisters, why is it so many Klingons were siding with them against Gowron, sure they had help from the Romulans, but that still meant many Klingons must have been supporting the Duras sisters since they almost defeated Gowron.


As for the Ferengi.. Do you really believe that a race that for hundred of years have cared about nothing but profit, to the point of betraying/assasinating their own familymembers would, in large numbers, join a organization where money have no value, where there is *no* profit whatsoever?

Not the entire race would join Starfleet but a lot would, considering how many are being put into schools and taught stuff more in line with Federation ideals. And btw, it has been 35 years since Rom became Nagus and even before that Ishka was changing things using Zek.

Their reasoning for the C-Store, from Stahl, is that they need it to justify making content such as the Excelsior model, which makes no sense when applied to the Klingon, Ferengi, and Tellarites as the skins and models were in game, at launch.


It still takes coding to change them to a playable species.. Maybe not a lot, but some..


Klingons were already a playable race, they just needed to code it to work with the Feds. And Ferengi would need some code, sure, but not enough to justify forcing people to pay for it.

And as for the C-Store in general

Either 1) They are hiring more people (which is unlikely, based on their press releases)

2) Subscription pays for :
Content A
Content B
Content C
Content D

Fans want extra content (E)

Like Nebulons and such?

Content D workers instead work on Content E, which you are then charged for.

So, at the end of the day, you paid for

A,B,C, and D

But only got A,B,&C and are told to pay extra for Content E

No, because Content D is not gone, it is merely delayed
As in I paid $15 this month, got $10 worth, and was told to pay $5 for Content E.


OR 3)

You paid for A,B,C,D and so they divert some of the workers to Content E

And A,B,C,D drop in quality

And A,B,C,D will be improved upon, once Content E is out.

Not necessarily. They have shown a remarkable propensity towards releasing garbage content full of bugs, that are never fixed.

Weeeeeell, the game is not that old.. Serious gamebreaking bugs, take precedence over minor issues.. Understand that they have a strictly planned schedule a while ahead, and all fixed bugs (as well as minor requested changes) are done in the sparetime..

Id hazard a guess that the "severity" of issues and how they are prioritized in the "to-do" list is based on the number of tickets on each one.


And your understanding of the intricate, inner workings of Cryptic come from where? What they're schedule is like is unknown to those who don't work there, so unless you actually work at Cryptic, that is peculation. And bug if bug fixes only occur in spare time, this company is crappier than I thought.


My understanding of the workings of a MMO company comes from the other MMOs Ive played.. They have a schedule, the calendar with upcoming changes proves this.. This schedule isnt limited to the things we see there, they have planned a long ahead of that.. Now a bug can be fixed by changing a single line of code or correcting a typo.. It can also take a long long time, if the bug is tied up with other things (which they often are) Fixing one bug in a hurry, might create 5 new bugs..

Example: In SWG (spacepart JtL) the Royal Guard Interceptor was bugged (its hitbox was too small), there were an outcry, and it was fixed in a hurry.. This broke the hitbox of the ARC-170.. That was fixed, and the turrets fireing arcs broke..

Example: Also in SWG, the other POB ships besides the YT-2400 had a bug with the booster.. Every time the energy were exhausted the ships speed were set to zero.. The boosters were fixed, and the enginemounts dissapeared, the interior textures were also broken..


Probably the best way to prove a point about the company isn't to use an example from another failure of a game. All it proves is that Cryptic, is indeed doing a crap job. There should be set times for them to work on bugs, not just "Whenever they get spare time."

I am white and blue

MelineAaele is red








Quote:
Originally Posted by DES_SNIPER View Post
Alot of the issues people are having with STO is that there are alot of bugs that have been here since CB. Eight months later, they still exist. Some as you say can be changed within a single line such as typo's (that still exist) and other bugs that may take many lines of code (Kar'rat).

Cryptic seems more inclinded to create items for the C-Store then they are to actually fix bugs. There is no money in fixing bugs, plain and simple. However, there is money in placing $25 ships in the C-Store.
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DES_SNIPER View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelineAaele View Post
Not necessarily. They have shown a remarkable propensity towards releasing garbage content full of bugs, that are never fixed.


This is the reply we recieved after the complaints of the VA Fluidic Space Fleet Action.



The FA is in game, it is broke. You are correct in your statement that cryptic releases garbage and that they never intend to fix bugs.
That was actually me, not MelineAele.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelineAaele View Post
Weeeeeell, the game is not that old.. Serious gamebreaking bugs, take precedence over minor issues.. Understand that they have a strictly planned schedule a while ahead, and all fixed bugs (as well as minor requested changes) are done in the sparetime..

Id hazard a guess that the "severity" of issues and how they are prioritized in the "to-do" list is based on the number of tickets on each one.


And your understanding of the intricate, inner workings of Cryptic come from where? What they're schedule is like is unknown to those who don't work there, so unless you actually work at Cryptic, that is peculation. And bug if bug fixes only occur in spare time, this company is crappier than I thought.
This is a beliveable hypothosis regarding company policy to bug fixes. (Refer to my statement above about C-Store)[/quote]

Were you agreeing with them or me. I fixed it so that I am blue and they are red.
Ensign
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 10
# 242 first promotion but no ship
10-12-2012, 01:31 PM
I play the game a wile now and i love it

so i have just got my first promotion to lieutenant commander. but i can not pick a free ship instead i must buy them

Can someone help me?
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,630
# 243
10-12-2012, 01:37 PM
Have you done the Promotion to Lieutenant Commander mission, which makes you run around Earth Spacedock a bit? After wards, go to the shipyard and filter by rank for Lieutenant Commander. There'll be 6 ships available at that rank, three of them will show the cost as "1," meaning they'll take your free ship token. Those ships are the Cruiser, the Escort, and the Science Vessel. The Cruiser Refit, Escort Refit, and Science Vessel Refit are upgraded C-store ships with special powers and skins, they don't work on your token.
Ensign
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 10
# 244
10-12-2012, 02:32 PM
Yes i ve done the mission and i ve even done the ceremony but noting works
Ensign
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 10
# 245
10-12-2012, 02:40 PM
i'm still with the war is good for business episode
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 605
# 246
10-12-2012, 04:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gucky20 View Post
I play the game a wile now and i love it

so i have just got my first promotion to lieutenant commander. but i can not pick a free ship instead i must buy them

Can someone help me?

You have to go to Admiral Quinn and talk to him about your promotion. Then he will give you a token for a T2 ship
Ensign
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 10
# 247
10-13-2012, 09:08 AM
I got my new ship

and thanks for the tip i will use it
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 108
# 248
10-16-2012, 06:28 PM
Why oh why must you bring the post up from the dead
Ham I Am. Jacksonville Jaguars Fan. Born and raised in Jacksonville. Join Date Feb 2012
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:18 AM.