Lieutenant
# 1 How To Make Energy Credits
10-12-2012, 01:41 PM
Even though I am at level 24 I don't play quite as often. Maybe once or twice a week but that is it and I only have about 30,000 or so EC but I would like to know some more tips on how to make them instead of just selling loot. Does anyone have any ideas?
Starfleet Veteran
# 2
10-12-2012, 01:48 PM
It'll be easier at higher levels, loot (especially deflectors, shields, and engines) is worth a lot more, even if you're just throwing it down the replicator.

My usual way to fund projects is to buy master keys on the exchange when the price dips to the 600-900k range, and dump them back the day a new lockbox is added. Prices usually spike to 2-2.5 million that day.

But, yeah, you'll need some capital to start that, not really an immediate option for you. We just had a new lockbox, though, so it'll be a few months before that's an option, and by then you might be able to swing a few keys.

Duty officers are selling like crazy right now. It's come down somewhat since season 6 first came out, but it's still pretty high - some specializations are a pretty easy 30-50,000 even for a common. Fleets burn thousands of common and hundreds of uncommon doffs on progress, and even bigger fleets can have trouble keeping up just by recruitment. You can set up an alt, get them to level 6, and park at the academy to just farm doff recruitment, then sell them off and put the EC you gain in the account bank so your main can access it.

You can also use the reassign underperforming officers option to trade in white doffs for higher quality ones. Takes a while, but you can reliably generate purple doffs this way, many of which sell for a few million.

Last edited by hevach; 10-12-2012 at 01:51 PM.
Career Officer
# 3
10-12-2012, 01:50 PM
Most folks get ec's from selling loot, and as you get higher rank and get higher mk drops the values go up. You typically get about 80k from selling any of the Breen Feature episode set.

Some folks will then use those ec to work the markets buying stuff people accidentally undersell an then repost for a profit.

The last group spend zen, either acquired over dil market or by buying directly, and selling a cash shop item on the market.

As for me, I am so casual I am pretty skint from not doing much recently due to lack of time.
Career Officer
# 4
10-12-2012, 01:51 PM
The first thing that comes to mind is the Tour the Galaxy event.

It doesn't come up very often, compared to the other events, and i think you need to be a Vice Admiral, but i could be wrong on that point...

But, basically, you travel through all the sector blocks in the game and you 50k EC for each faction space that you clear.

StoWiki has a very good article on the event.

http://www.stowiki.org/Tour_the_Universe

I run through it when ever I can get a chance to catch it.

Hope this helps..
Lt. Commander
# 5
10-12-2012, 02:06 PM
Till level 50, do missions and sell items you don't or won't use.

When you reach level 50 go grind Tour the Galaxy event. It usually happens once a day.
Why level 50? Because you'll get better sector speed. Yes, you can go earlier, but the cash is not so good for lower levels. Higher level you are, more cash you get on the event. It's not a bug but is per design.

Can you make much EC? Yes you can, at least a million if level 50 during the event.
Is there a trick? Yes, there is. You won't do the complete tour but will visit only 3 sectors, then drop the quest, retake the quest, again make those three sectors, etc, every 5-6 mins you grab cca 150K.
1. All you need is to take Doomsday Device mission (replay) prior to the event. When you take the Tour quest, warp at DoomsdayD initial spot (you pay 100EC for that), from there go visit ONLY Orellius block, then warp back to DoomsdayD spot, go visit Gamma Orionis and Pelia. After that warp back on Earthdock and retake the quest, repeat the process.
2. If you have a ship with advanced "speed", any oddy for example, you can spread your area on one more sector - Eta Eridani, but you'll have to activate a replay on one more mission in that sector for the best result.
3. The third essential thing is to put at least uncommon (green) Astrometrics Scientist duty officer on your space duty. Rare one (blue) is even better. Why? Because he'll make sure you can transwarp back to Sol (shortens transwarp cooldowns). If you don't have such DoFF or can't buy one at the exchange, don't worry. Besides Doomstay mission just activate also Stranded in Space mission and when needed warp on it - it'll bring you to Azura ship which is just next to Sol System.

Looks complicated? Try it once and you'll see it's not that complicated. If you however wish to check other possibilities on that event, do pls check this article on STOwiki:
http://www.stowiki.org/Tour_the_galaxy
There are also probably some more reads on the matter on this forum.

The game is designed in a way you can't easily grab a million before you get to level 50. If you want to reach level 50 faster, don't do only story missions but seek for patrols in systems, they give you much XP. On the other hand, story missions give you nifty rewards - uncommon and rare items are guaranteed, so perhaps you should do at least the whole Klingon story and a half of Romulan one besides patrols.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hevach View Post
Duty officers are selling like crazy right now.
DO NOT SELL. Duty officers.
Not even in your wildest dream. Just don't. Once you fill your DoFF roster with purple and blue DoFFs, sure, you may sell those puny white ones you don't use any more or upgrade them by combining or exchanging assignments, but you're new, stick to every asset you have and don't sell something just because you're not sure what is it used for but can be sold for a nice cash on the exchange.

[EDIT]
rifter beat me to it... good thinking man!

Last edited by joxertm2; 10-12-2012 at 02:24 PM.
Survivor of Romulus
# 6
10-12-2012, 02:29 PM
another thing is scanning anomalies for particle traces....Ive made 3mil ec in the past 4-5 days just doing scanning....and im normally doing it at delta volnaris (due to it being easy to get the stating crafting supplies and just because its simple to use those up) the most ive made off particle traces in one run was 800k in about an hour, but that seemed to just be luck because i haven't had that much at once point yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by borticuscryptic View Post
I find this line of replies sadly hilarious. We put a lot of work into the massive list of fixes/changes above, and ya'll are hung up on the ability to skip our content. =p
Lt. Commander
# 7
10-12-2012, 02:38 PM
This is not a completely bad idea, but I'd vote against it. Sorry. Grinding samples is very boring, and you're actually selling your future. There is a certain "set" of asignments that will later in the game drop ultra rare consoles on crits - those consoles can be sold for 20+ millions on exchange. How much is for example antiproton +30% one? IIRC last time I checked ppl asked 40 mils for it.
And you need rare samples for those asignments or to buy powered alien artefacts at exchange that are also expensive as hell.
More on the matter (do check notes pls):
http://www.stowiki.org/Assignment_ch...ldren%27s_Toys
http://www.stowiki.org/Assignment:_F...Alien_Artifact
Wiki is not updated, I believe the step #2 is removed from the game completely.

Even if you opt to skip that and craft consoles without doffs, you'll need "normal" samples.

Last edited by joxertm2; 10-12-2012 at 02:43 PM.
Career Officer
# 8
10-12-2012, 04:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by joxertm2 View Post
Not even in your wildest dream. Just don't. Once you fill your DoFF roster with purple and blue DoFFs, sure, you may sell those puny white ones you don't use any more or upgrade them by combining or exchanging assignments, but you're new, stick to every asset you have and don't sell something just because you're not sure what is it used for but can be sold for a nice cash on the exchange.
To build on this: Duty Officers are an optional system, but they're a lot of fun (most important), are a source of XP, buffs, items, and Dilithium. Selling your Duty Officers lowers your ability to play the Duty Officer Assignment successfully, since you never know when a particular DOFF or set of traits will be useful.

I would not sell the Duty Officers on your main playing character. Now, if you had an alt, that's something else entirely. I've got one alt whose sole purpose in life is to recruit DOFFs and sell them on the Exchange. That's it! I check him once every few days and that's it.

Now, if you're playing with Duty Officers and doing content that earns you Dilithium? There's a way to make EC from that! Earn Dilithium, buy Zen, then buy Master Keys and/or Fleet Modules to sell to other players on the Exchange.

http://samonmaui.blogspot.com/2012/0...o-credits.html

Also, ertihan wrote a nice guide as well, but its a little more involved, methinks.
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...51#post6049351

Find what works for your time/schedule and playstyle. It'll make it a lot easier, and more enjoyable.
Updated 2/11/13! Buying Zen with Energy Credits | Upgrading Duty Officers without Dilithium.
Q&A Presents: Maui Online! My friends' radioshow/podcast Computers, with occasional forays into astronomy.
Career Officer
# 9
10-12-2012, 04:07 PM
Oh, and whatever you do? DO NOT TURN IT INTO A JOB! It'll burn you out, and the game will stop being fun. Honestly, while credits are nice, just keep in mind you don't have to pimp out your ship each and every time you get one. Its FUN, but its not necessary. And, especially at lower levels, blowing a ton of EC on a ship you're going to get promoted out of probably isn't the best possible thing to do.

Invest in your crew: Bridge Officers and Duty Officers. They'll be with you for the rest of your career. But that's just my opinion.
Updated 2/11/13! Buying Zen with Energy Credits | Upgrading Duty Officers without Dilithium.
Q&A Presents: Maui Online! My friends' radioshow/podcast Computers, with occasional forays into astronomy.
Captain
# 10
10-12-2012, 06:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by joxertm2 View Post

[EDIT]
rifter beat me to it... good thinking man!
Duty Officer system is comletley optional, its much easier to ignore the Doff system entirely and sell all your doffs except for your ones needed for active duty.

The rewards for Doff missions are rather insignificant, you can earn way more xp and dil just from doing mirror events, however the money made from selling all Doff immediatley is significant, he can have millions of EC before reaching level 50 just by running recruitment missions and selling all doff not needed for active duty.

You barely lose anything by ignoring the doff system, my main Fed character is rank 0 in most commendations but regularly makes and spends tens of millions of EC, caps dil refinement everyday, has all purple active duty officers and all purple gear. Ignoring the doff system does not limit your gameplay ability at all, it in fact gives you more options on how to make quick easy money for little effort.