Captain
# 11
10-12-2012, 06:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chikahiro View Post
To build on this: Duty Officers are an optional system, but they're a lot of fun (most important), are a source of XP, buffs, items, and Dilithium. Selling your Duty Officers lowers your ability to play the Duty Officer Assignment successfully, since you never know when a particular DOFF or set of traits will be useful.

I would not sell the Duty Officers on your main playing character. Now, if you had an alt, that's something else entirely. I've got one alt whose sole purpose in life is to recruit DOFFs and sell them on the Exchange. That's it! I check him once every few days and that's it.

Now, if you're playing with Duty Officers and doing content that earns you Dilithium? There's a way to make EC from that! Earn Dilithium, buy Zen, then buy Master Keys and/or Fleet Modules to sell to other players on the Exchange.

http://samonmaui.blogspot.com/2012/0...o-credits.html

Also, ertihan wrote a nice guide as well, but its a little more involved, methinks.
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...51#post6049351

Find what works for your time/schedule and playstyle. It'll make it a lot easier, and more enjoyable.
How is doing missions you don't even get to activley participate in any fun? might as well play a board game or something. You guys are really making people miss out on easy money by making people think they have to do doff missions when they don't.

Duty officers (except for active ones) are exchange fodder to make money off of people that don't realize that ignoring this system in no way limits your gameplay experience, nothing more.
Starfleet Veteran
# 12
10-12-2012, 07:39 PM
It's pretty easy to generate doffs in large quantities thanks to the personnel contact. Even if you're actively loving the doff system, and a lot of people are, there's an easy million a week in recruitment while still building your roster by selling expendables, or high demand specializations with poor traits - packing your fleet starbase with emotional scientists has no penalty, but doing it on your own crew will give you failure traits on a bunch of good science missions.

And using an alt to farm recruitment is free money - you can hand pick any nice ones for your main's crew and sell all the rest for bank. Selling doffs for profit and advancing in the commendation system are not mutually exclusive goals. You're not going to be buying three attack pattern doffs or a Jem'hadar fighter doing it, but you'll be kitting yourself out with mk XI blues easily.

Last edited by hevach; 10-12-2012 at 07:41 PM.
Career Officer
# 13
10-12-2012, 08:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc8219 View Post
How is doing missions you don't even get to activley participate in any fun? might as well play a board game or something. You guys are really making people miss out on easy money by making people think they have to do doff missions when they don't.

Duty officers (except for active ones) are exchange fodder to make money off of people that don't realize that ignoring this system in no way limits your gameplay experience, nothing more.
As the saying goes, "different strokes for different folks." The important thing, to me, is whatever means you have for obtaining assets/resources is something you enjoy. I find DOFFing to be a great lunch-break activity, for instance. And, for me, its a relatively easy way to make Dilithium solo.

Plus, honestly, its a personnel/time resource game - if it doesn't click with you, it doesn't click. For me, I'm usually trying to figure out what I want at the time, juggling assignments and DOFFs, etc. And, I enjoy it, which means I have, and will continue, to stick with it. I'll get where I'm going eventually.

But, like you, I'm selling them too. Just on one character, mind you, but that's only because I've got three characters actively doing things that earn me Dilithium, and one of them is doing Commendation stuff to earn me Fleet Marks in a relaxed fashion. This allowed me to pretty much blow 16 million EC on stuff my fleet needed, and pay out about 3 million EC in "bounties" to my fleetmates for drops I wanted (if someone is going to get my EC, figure I'd give my mates first crack than the exchange).

Again, the biggest thing is any long-term ways of making EC is that it needs to be something you enjoy. I know there are ways to make more, faster, than what I'm currently getting, but after playing MMOs for 6+ years, I realize it doesn't matter. I'll reach my goals! And I wouldn't recommend my ways for anyone who thinks its boring or uninteresting - it'd be a waste of their time. They'd be better off finding something else and going with that. Find what you like, go with that, and you'll eventually get the EC while having fun. My fleetmates love running all their Elite VA stuff - great for them. I'll pass :p
Updated 2/11/13! Buying Zen with Energy Credits | Upgrading Duty Officers without Dilithium.
Q&A Presents: Maui Online! My friends' radioshow/podcast Computers, with occasional forays into astronomy.

Last edited by chikahiro; 10-12-2012 at 08:06 PM.
Lt. Commander
# 14
10-13-2012, 04:50 AM
Noone said doff system is essential, noone said it's not optional.

What I said was NOT to sell doffs BEFORE YOU KNOW WHAT ARE THEY ABOUT. Please reread my post.
And a new player level 24 can't know what are they about. It also looks a half a year experience player thinks doffs are only to add to the ship/ground skills and that's it. Really? You really think everyone who is on assignments is silly/stupid/cretin?

In any case, by suggesting him to sell doffs now, you're trying to leave him without options. Not just me, but some others suggested Tour the Galaxy event not just because you get mill or two per run, but because you invest nothing, you sell nothing and you can't possibly ever regret doing it.
Sure, and for example, once he learns that one purple Klingon Chef is better than 10 white ones, he'll buy the purple Klingon Chef with the cash he grabbed on the Galaxy Tour as purple klingon chefs are cheap, replicate dozens of Klingon Octopus for 20EC and sell them for 5000EC each, etc and such stuff, and he'll also sell those white chefs. Or will combine 5 of them into a green DoFF who might turn to be an explosive expert fit for dilithium assignments. Or a green nurse with resolve trait? Or whatever great for daily assignments. Just please let him learn the game before he makes a move of selling something that can be very useful later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chikahiro View Post
Again, the biggest thing is any long-term ways of making EC is that it needs to be something you enjoy. I know there are ways to make more, faster, than what I'm currently getting, but after playing MMOs for 6+ years, I realize it doesn't matter.
This. I agree 100%. But to know what you'll enjoy, you can't just sell stuff, try crafting, maybe it's your thing? Try doffs, maybe you're in it completely? Try mission replays for 200K items you can sell to NPC, it's not a bad cash earner, right? Just don't sell everything you can and then think "everyone has to sell, sell and just sell".

Last edited by joxertm2; 10-13-2012 at 05:01 AM.
Ensign
# 15
10-13-2012, 05:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifter1969 View Post
The first thing that comes to mind is the Tour the Galaxy event.

It doesn't come up very often, compared to the other events, and i think you need to be a Vice Admiral, but i could be wrong on that point...

But, basically, you travel through all the sector blocks in the game and you 50k EC for each faction space that you clear.

StoWiki has a very good article on the event.

http://www.stowiki.org/Tour_the_Universe

I run through it when ever I can get a chance to catch it.

Hope this helps..
As a relatively new player (been playing for about three weeks), I can verify that you can do this as a low level player and you should be doing this, in addition to the other things you are doing, as often as you can. Was it a lot of credits? No. But hey, it's free credits just for flying around the galaxy.

The amount of sector blocks you will be sent to will be lower as a low level player, but, this also means you can complete it more than once during the event. As you level up, each time you take the mission, you will be sent to more and more sector blocks. Since you don't get the slipstream until Vice Admiral, you may not be able to complete it multiple times, but you will get more credits as a higher level player, too.
Career Officer
# 16
10-13-2012, 05:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by capt001 View Post
Even though I am at level 24 I don't play quite as often. Maybe once or twice a week but that is it and I only have about 30,000 or so EC but I would like to know some more tips on how to make them instead of just selling loot. Does anyone have any ideas?
Fastest way selling Ship-Modules for 5 mio each but for each you have to pay 500 Z-Store Points first.
Level 50 Cpts: W-T-Riker; Jadzia; Sharan; K'Dhan; T-W-Riker; T'Pok; Ehrehin; Shanara; Karana; Lukara
Subscribed For: 1200 Days 23-08-2013
Survivor of Romulus
# 17
10-13-2012, 07:19 AM
the way i make ec is i buy fleet duty offs and exchange them up for purples and sell purples so selling doffs is easyest way to grind ec
Lt. Commander
# 18
10-14-2012, 07:22 AM
So... A player level 24, new to the game, buys doffs in the fleet?
Ppl, we have a new player here and he asks how to earn some easy EC now. Not how to earn easy EC after he joins a fleet and after he gets enough fleet credits to buy white doffs.
Starfleet Veteran
# 19
10-14-2012, 07:34 AM
Nobody's said he needs a fleet, just standard recruitment. 36+ potential doffs a week, an average of ~34 are white (the biggest bulk sellers). At current prices that's 400k at the low end, and far more likely.

Last edited by hevach; 10-14-2012 at 08:01 AM.
Career Officer
# 20
10-14-2012, 09:13 AM
If you have a Gold membership and you don't need anything with your stipend, buy the Reinforcement Duty Officer Pack and sell it on the Exchange.

I got about 3 million EC when I did it.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/BuffyFanForever/Misc%20Pics/CustomSizeforSTOSignatureImagesSelection3.jpg