Captain
# 11
10-12-2012, 08:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by diogene0 View Post
Do you understand irony?
Why should we believe anything you say, your a liar!!

But i love you anyway Garak.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t02v9EUHs30
Empire Veteran
# 12
10-12-2012, 09:42 PM
edited - I don't know what I'm talking about.
Commander
# 13
10-12-2012, 09:52 PM
STO has had its ups and downs. So far it has managed to hang in there and I don't see that changing yet. I don't really see it growing much though either. I'd be more concerned over the future of Champions Online than STO at this point.

OP, I am curious what makes you doubt STO's staying power past S7?
Captain
# 14
10-12-2012, 11:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nixboox View Post
I know that the majority of Star Trek TV series only ran for 7 seasons. Does this apply to STO?

Will there be some new version STO.TNG or something to take its place?
IMO, the only reason Star Trek shows end after 7 seasons is that there is nowhere else for the writers to go or the show has been going for so long that it's time for a natural end and to put another series on the air, and as this isn't the case for STO (at least from a Mission Content viewpoint) it won't be going anywhere soon
__________________________________________________ __
For those of you who have complimented me on my Avatar, I'm wondering what you're talking about. I don't have one.

SILENCE WILL FALL....................Why the hell did I just say that
Empire Veteran
# 15
10-12-2012, 11:34 PM
(Mostly being sarcastic in this post as an FYI)

Let's look at some stuff:

TNG, Voyager, and DS9 all each lasted for 7 seasons each. Enterprise and TOS lasted for 4 and 3 respectively, for a total of 7 as well.

There were 6 movies for the TOS area, the 7th bridging that and TNG. The next three were all TNG. And the latest is the one from 2009 for eleven movies total.

So...what does all that mean in comparison to the game?

I could give a long spiel on what I think it could mean, but that'd be silly. So I'll stick with this:

Ending at season 7 means that the game would be following canon, however slightly, and as we all know, this game doesn't like to do that at all.

That, or it's just gonna be around for awhile most likely until PWE tires of it.

Career Officer
# 16
10-12-2012, 11:48 PM
Season 7's release date isn't anywhere near the release date of Star Trek Into Darkness which is only 7 months away at this point (May 13th, 2013).

I'm pretty sure They are already planning stuff for this game, to coincide and tie into, the movies release...
(granted it probably won't be anything major, but They'd be foolish NOT to take advantage of all the Trek hype and hoopla that'll be going on.)

Somewhere around Season 8 would be my guess...
I could even see them attempting to negotiate a deal to add some kind of FE or quick mission, that takes the player into and back from, the JJ-Trek Universe for a quick adventure...

Though more likely, it might only be a uniform, or a starship variant or some fancy console.

So NO, Season 7 Will Not be the end of STO.
...... DaveyNY ...STO Forum Member since February - 2009
..............Star Trek Fan since Thursday Sept. 8th, 1966
There are No Longer any STO Veterans... We're Just People who have Played the Game for the last 4.5 years.
I Really Do Miss the little TOP Button at the bottom of the threads.

Last edited by daveyny; 10-13-2012 at 12:04 AM.
Rihannsu
# 17
10-13-2012, 12:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nixboox View Post
I know that the majority of Star Trek TV series only ran for 7 seasons. Does this apply to STO?

Will there be some new version STO.TNG or something to take its place?
of course it doesn't.

there is a world of difference between a tv show and a computer game. seasons in game are just a name. they could call them updates or patches, or anything they like. it has nothing to do with how long the shows ran for. they are not going to close the game down and then just make a new one.

House of Cards - Lvl 46 Fed mission
Career Officer
# 18
10-13-2012, 12:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by srspells View Post
it will be around til many more seasons PWE bought it 50 mil they need to make about a 10x profit before they will shut it down, which is good for me I love the lockbox ships.
-Spells
They bought CRYPTIC for 50... That dosen't nessacarily mean that STO was of interest to them... merely that it was a bonus game where they could rip off naive people.
My name may say "PWE member", but I will never be.
-NEVER Forget the Screwups and ignorance made towards the people who supported the game through 2011
Don't look silly, don't call it "Zen-Store" - Don't waste devs time, Post proper bug-reports
Career Officer
# 19
10-13-2012, 12:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anazonda View Post
They bought CRYPTIC for 50... That dosen't nessacarily mean that STO was of interest to them... merely that it was a bonus game where they could rip off naive people.
this ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
swimwear off risa not fixed
Quote:
Originally Posted by macronius View Post
This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by valoreah View Post
It's not their fault you feel trolled by the new ability to be immune to your disco ball, sorry'boutit.
Captain
# 20
10-13-2012, 04:00 AM
Not sure if this a troll, a joke, or someone who is very into numerology

At anyrate, No... The Devs have several times mentioned Seasons 8 and 9 for several other projects. And as far as I can see, the storyline with the Iconians are not going to be finished anytime soon.

Also, a season of television is a year of content. A "season" in STO is once every 3 months or so, and has more game elements than plot.

Another thing to consider is that Television series have a definite ending when the writers decide that the story is finished and there is nothing left to tell. An MMO ends when the Devs. publishers, and the gamers themselves decide that the game has run it's course and the server is shut down.

Don't worry. Still plenty of Klingons to Send to Sto'va'kor