Career Officer
# 41
10-13-2012, 09:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurleybird View Post
I would tend to agree, in a perfect world at least. In the past I didn't think that Cryptic could ever pull it off, that they should cut their losses and go with something more GW-like, but now I'm not entirely sure

That said, some items (not gear) should be turned off. The fleet bonuses for example rightfully don't have an effect in PvP. The same should be true for bonuses you get from doff missions, consumables like ablative jevonite, and of course team batteries, but sadly isn't. I wouldn't mind seeing deuterium disabled in PvP either, I certainly wouldn't miss grinding it.
There's a simpler way that doesn't knock achievement as hard:

Instead of disabling those buffs, have an alternate way for PvPers to get all of them.

My BIG idea here is a method of paid PvP tournaments, which I think is necessary to support PvP development under F2P.

Here's the deal:

Cryptic releases a variety of ships BALANCED AGAINST ONE ANOTHER. Not perfectly balanced against anything else. Just eachother.

These ships cost a premium amount, more than normal ships.

For 3 months or 6 months, Cryptic has a PvP tournament. Which can only be queued for using these ships. Rewards might include things like Fleet-tier upgrades of the PvP ships, a special hull texture for all your ships, etc.

At the end of the tournament, the ships go down in price to 2500 or 2000 ZEN. This is more or less stated upfront than the higher cost is your "Tournament Entry Fee."
Lt. Commander
# 42
10-14-2012, 09:55 AM
The latest update includes an investigation of the claim that science heals like TSS and HE are not being used often enough.

For most of us PVPers the idea that TSS and HE are not commonly used and overshadowed by engineering abilities was a bit strange. And indeed we find that the data from the last year does not seem to indicate a bias toward engineering heals.
Survivor of Romulus
# 43
10-14-2012, 01:56 PM
Remember, though, that you are only collecting from a very small subset of the player base.

I don't know, but I would guess that the devs looked at the whole database in some way before judging that.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Promote what you love, instead of bashing what you hate.
Captain
# 44
10-14-2012, 02:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophlogimo View Post
Remember, though, that you are only collecting from a very small subset of the player base.

I don't know, but I would guess that the devs looked at the whole database in some way before judging that.
If you mean they asked the people around the office that play STO... then ya your likely right.
Survivor of Romulus
# 45
10-14-2012, 02:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by husanakx View Post
If you mean they asked the people around the office that play STO... then ya your likely right.
No, I mean they do a few SQL commands on their server's database to know such things. At least if the game's internals work as they should, by my guessing.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Career Officer
# 46
10-14-2012, 02:29 PM
Data mining can only get you so far.

If you just look at what the entire playerbase is equipping, you might get the idea that already weak skills like Jam Sensors and Boarding Party need to be nerfed based on the vast amount of PvErs who use those skills.

On the other hand, if a player is even semi-serious about PvP he's going to learn quite fast how bad Jam and Boarding Parties really are and how life saving HE and TSS can be.
Survivor of Romulus
# 47
10-14-2012, 02:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurleybird View Post
Data mining can only get you so far.

If you just look at what the entire playerbase is equipping, you might get the idea that already weak skills like Jam Sensors and Boarding Party need to be nerfed based on the vast amount of PvErs who use those skills.

On the other hand, if a player is even semi-serious about PvP he's going to learn quite fast how bad Jam and Boarding Parties really are and how life saving HE and TSS can be.
True, but you would cover that by simply selecting only those players' builds that have accolade A or B, or maybe even fields in the database that signify "PvP" or even "PvP of quality N or higher" in whatever way.

But that is all guessing on my part.
Captain
# 48
10-14-2012, 02:50 PM
I think you're really overestimating the amount of complex work the devs perform when it comes to game balance.
Survivor of Romulus
# 49
10-14-2012, 02:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shimmerless View Post
I think you're really overestimating the amount of complex work the devs perform when it comes to game balance.
It is not as if the above was complex. It is actually just a no-brainer when developing a game like STO. Of course, it is assuming that the game uses an SQL-compatible databse that can be queried that way. Which I don't know.
Captain
# 50
10-14-2012, 03:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophlogimo View Post
It is not as if the above was complex. It is actually just a no-brainer when developing a game like STO. Of course, it is assuming that the game uses an SQL-compatible databse that can be queried that way. Which I don't know.
The game doesn't run on SQL, for some reason the devs had issues with their SQL package so they upped and wrote their own database language (no, I'm not kidding).

I'd be sort of surprised if they cache arena results in the long term the way Hilbert did, I suppose it's not impossible. I just mean that I seriously doubt they mark players out or do much other than keep raw combat data.