Starfleet Veteran
Are these worth getting?

I am currently using a Phaser Pulsewave Assault Mk XI and a Phaser High Density Beam Rifle Mk XI (Both Purple with KB3) that took me through the STF's way back when they were first put out.

Is there any reason for me to switch to these new Temporal Ground Weapons?
If your post is anything like, "I have a sandwich so you can't be starving" it's time to rethink posting.
Captain
# 2
10-14-2012, 01:58 PM
I'd say your main goal on stf ground should be fast remodualtion, meaning at least 1 maco or omega full set with weapon

For your secondary weapon you can basically run with whatever aslong as you use your kit right.

But granted the shotgun is by far the the surpreme weapon with AOE knockdown and split second firering animation.

Worth 50 lobi's I am gonna have to go with probably not especially if you look at the lack of both crit hit and pure dps
Career Officer
# 3
10-14-2012, 06:26 PM
Bottom line:

NO.

The Lobi store weapons are blue quality weapons that stop scaling at Mk X. At best, you might get one helpful shot with the stasis pistol per fight. (It works once per enemy.) So, for example, you get one good shot on Rebecca Simmons, right? And it buys you seven seconds to deal with respawning Borg. But the flipside is, you have an awful Mk X blue weapon with no range, it won't work on Rebecca a second time, and your DPS is awful with it.

The rifle is arguably better for PvE but is basically just a blue quality Mk X split beam rifle that hits one less target but has a wider arc. How often do you NEED a wider arc? It sacrifices BOTH a target and a mod slot for that arc.

It's like their strengths and balancing points were both designed for and limited by PvP. They're absolute rubbish for PvE.

Oh and using the two together if awful because the stasis pistol makes one target damage immune and frozen for seven seconds while the rifle hits a random extra target who, guess what, might be the damage immune one in stasis.

So they're bad separately and even worse together.

It's a big disappointment for me given that the outing of the 29th century pistol in "Future's End" treated it more as a miniaturized high powered rifle, capable of long range firefights in moving vehicles (it was fired by a guy driving a semi, who was barely looking, at the car behind him) and vaporizing a car. Instead, it turned out to be a weapon that was ONLY good for PvP (where it was overpowered) and then they nerfed that, making it equally bad anywhere.

The TOS Phaser rifle/blue pistol from Night of the Comet scale to Mk XI and white quality TOS phaser pistol from the TOS pack scales to Mk XI as well, compared to the Relativity pistol's Mk X cap.

Meaning that 23rd century weapons outperform 29th century weapons in STO.
Starfleet Veteran
# 4
10-14-2012, 06:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoleviathan99 View Post
Bottom line:

NO.

So they're bad separately and even worse together.
So true. That's 100 Lobi I wish I could get back.
Starfleet Veteran
# 5
10-14-2012, 07:16 PM
Thanks guys,

I had just finished the Temporal Warship grind and wasn't looking forward to grinding these.

I thought I was missing something in the description?

Why would Lobi grind weapons be worse than existing weapons?
If your post is anything like, "I have a sandwich so you can't be starving" it's time to rethink posting.
Career Officer
# 6
10-14-2012, 08:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thlaylierah View Post
Thanks guys,

I had just finished the Temporal Warship grind and wasn't looking forward to grinding these.

I thought I was missing something in the description?

Why would Lobi grind weapons be worse than existing weapons?
My guess, which I've alluded to in a few places, is this:

I think Geko handles space items. He looks at it that they cost money and better be good to be worth the cash. Thus, space items scale to Mk XI or Mk XII. I think the same is also true of ground items he probably had a hand in years ago, earned or otherwise.

I think Jeremy has taken point on ground items. He looks at it that paid and promotional items are cosmetic items, interesting novelties. Thus he started creating things like Nanopulse. They're INTERESTING. But because Borg adapt to them, very impractical. They might as well be a phaser with no range. They only get interestingly powerful when you start stacking them with DOffs or look at the handful of missions that disable ranged weapons. Jeremy is focused on PvP impact and wants to keep cash shop items worse than earned items.

Geko's attitude seems to be that a little (not too much, but a little) P2W is how they pay the bills. Jeremy's perspective seems to be that paid items should be worse. And Jeremy, like I say, is taking point on ground combat if I had to guess.

Where things fall apart if when you think of that guy who actually earned 20 million EC to buy the lockbox keys to get the Lobi to get the Relativity weapons. That's a massive disappointment.
Career Officer
# 7
10-14-2012, 09:59 PM
Yeah, the temporal ground weapons are a waste of lobi. The freeze stun sounds cool, till you realize you can't kill the bugger till the stun wears off.

I mainly use the stun pistol to annoy people during the Academy event; freezing their Klingon hologram attacker for 4 secs while they try to kill it.
Sometimes I think I play STO just to have stuff to rant about on the forums!

Career Officer
# 8
10-14-2012, 10:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dracounguis View Post
Yeah, the temporal ground weapons are a waste of lobi. The freeze stun sounds cool, till you realize you can't kill the bugger till the stun wears off.

I mainly use the stun pistol to annoy people during the Academy event; freezing their Klingon hologram attacker for 4 secs while they try to kill it.
It's a griefing toy to be sure and I think Jeremy -- who I see as a brilliant guy -- sometimes ends up taking his interest in novelty down that path.

IMHO, it would have been more interesting to make them, say...

Mk XII weapons. The pistol is a rifle with a pistol look. The rifle is an assault weapon with a rifle look. Mods would be something like:

Phaser: (Sniper rifle that looks like a hand weapon) [CritH]x2 [SDisrupt] (Making it novel as a phaser with the fleet disruptor proc and matching its onscreen tendency to disintegrate things. Also novel as a non-fleet weapon with a fleet special proc.)

Rifle: (Pulsewave assault that looks like a rifle) [CritD]x2 [SDisrupt]

Maybe if you want to make them further interesting/unusual, replace the stasis/arc bonuses with a second phaser proc, so they each have two 2.5% phaser procs.

Or... Hm. Maybe... Heck, temporal acceleration could be kinda fun as an effect for the proc on the secondary, making them anti-phasers.

2.5% chance: Receives 50% additional damage for 6 sec
+50% Runspeed for 6 sec

It'd be kinda like they're the ghosts and you're Pac Man who just ate a pellet when the proc fires. They take double damage but get insane runspeed to get away.