Career Officer
# 11
09-19-2012, 10:24 PM
The latest news on the series:
  • I have completed remastering of Part III! It is being published as I type this. Note that I have changed its alternate title to "Chasing Ghosts". This is [1] to keep with the "ghosts" theme of the series and [2] because it turned out the original alt-title, "Chasing Shadows", is also the name of a map in the Cryptic mission "Skirmish", and I did not want people to confuse them.
  • Part IV will probably not require the kind of huge makeover Parts I-III got, just a bit more polish, and dialogue tweaks here and there to reflect the changes made in the first three installments.
  • Once all that's done, then yes, finally, I can start developing the long-awaited Part V in earnest! I hope to have it done sometime in October.
  • Last, but not least: At the request of my fleet, I have also begun creating a pair of companion missions (one space and one ground) to the series, designed for 5-player teams. I will try to get these done by November, then start work on the grand finale, Part VI.
Career Officer
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxfederatica View Post
Mission Name: Ghosts of War, Part III ("Chasing Ghosts") - Remaster
Author: NCC-89471
Minimum Level: 35+
Allegiance: Federation
Project ID: ST-HLAJXIZUN
Estimated Mission Length: 30-45 Minutes
Method of Report Delivery: Post to this forum thread
Federation Mission - Ghosts of War, Part III ("Chasing Ghosts") - Remaster
Author: NCC-89471
Project ID: ST-HLAJXIZUN

----------Report Start-----------

Summary: This is a great mission in the series. From the great map design, battles, and excellent story dialogue this mission is a lot of fun. You did a great job with the updating of this mission. I would highly recommend this mission to all players who like the combination of a good map design, tough, but fun battles, and excellent story dialogue. I was riveted in my seat for this rollercoaster ride of a mission. Great job!

Mission Description: This is a good description. I noted no spelling or grammatical errors with this description.

Grant Mission Dialogue: This is a good grant dialogue. I noted no spelling or grammatical errors with this dialogue.

Mission Task: This is a good initial task with a clear start location for the first custom map. I noted no spelling errors with this task.

Mission Entry Prompt: This is a good use of the prompt. I noted no spelling or grammatical errors with this prompt.

MAPS:
1: Bironex Depot - Space: This is a good map design with very well written story dialogue. I noted no spelling or grammatical errors with this dialogue or any issues with the map.

2: Bironex Depot - Interior: This is a good map design with excellent interaction and very well written story dialogue. I noted no spelling or grammatical errors with this dialogue or any issues with the map.

3: Ready Room - Interior: This is a good map design with excellent story dialogue. I noted no spelling or grammatical errors with this dialogue or any issues with the map.

4: Leneka V - Space: This is a good map design with excellent and very detailed story dialogue. I noted no spelling or grammatical errors with this dialogue or any issues with the map.

5: Leneka V base - Interior: This is a good map design with tough battles and well written story dialogue. I noted no spelling or grammatical errors with this dialogue or any issues with the map.

6: Leneka V base - Interior: This is a good map design with tough battles and well written story dialogue. I noted no spelling or grammatical errors with this dialogue. I noted one item to consider changing:
-When planting the charges no devices appeared. Consider adding a device each time the player plants a charge. It would add to the story.

7: Leneka V - Space: This is a good map design with tough battles, well written story dialogue, and is a good wrap up to this sequel in the series. I noted no spelling or grammatical errors with this dialogue or any issues with the map.

---------End Report----------

Thanks again for authoring and for giving me the chance to review your work. You did a great job updating this mission and I had a blast playing it. I look forward to playing/reviewing the next mission in the series.
Brian

This critique report also filed 09/20/2012 on forum posting for: In depth mission reports upon request.
If you would like a detailed review of your mission please visit my forum posting "In depth mission reports upon request" for details.
Career Officer
# 13
09-20-2012, 08:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by evil70th View Post
6: Leneka V base - Interior: This is a good map design with tough battles and well written story dialogue. I noted no spelling or grammatical errors with this dialogue. I noted one item to consider changing:
-When planting the charges no devices appeared. Consider adding a device each time the player plants a charge. It would add to the story.
What would be a good one to use? Alas, the "spatial charge" asset used in some Cryptic missions doesn't seem to be available.
Career Officer
# 14
10-14-2012, 11:52 PM
At long last, after a long hiatus to remaster Parts I-IV, "Ghosts of War, Part V", aka "Battleground 001", has finally been completed and published! With any luck it will go through the initial review process and be released to the STO public in a matter of days.
Lieutenant
# 15
10-18-2012, 08:11 AM
Played your 5th part, really enjoyed just want to point out a few issues I've found

during the briefing if you select the top option it finishes the convo when everything's been said instead of going back to the various convo options.

It's possible to get yourself trapped in the central core, like I did

and a some of the ship NPC's are called like Actor #59 etc, mainly the 2nd group onwards for the first space map and for the battle at the end.

otherwise I really enjoyed your series so far,keep it up
Career Officer
# 16
10-18-2012, 06:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerryu View Post
Played your 5th part, really enjoyed just want to point out a few issues I've found

during the briefing if you select the top option it finishes the convo when everything's been said instead of going back to the various convo options.

It's possible to get yourself trapped in the central core, like I did

and a some of the ship NPC's are called like Actor #59 etc, mainly the 2nd group onwards for the first space map and for the battle at the end.

otherwise I really enjoyed your series so far,keep it up
Thanks for the feedback! I found the ships labeled "Actor #x" in Map 2 and fixed them. I couldn't find any such ships in Map 5 though. I hope it's not one of those bugs that only becomes evident in a published mission.

I also moved all the invisible interacts a few feet back from their respective bulkheads, which should make it slightly harder to trap yourself on the wrong side. Last, but not least, I fixed that dialogue branch to make it go back to the branch point.

I also added a few more captains to fill up all the chairs in the briefing room, and tweaked Map 5 to have the Pax Federatica separate its chevron for battle. (The stardrive goes into combat, where it may or may not get destroyed, while the chevron stays behind for you to talk to afterward.)
Lieutenant
# 17
10-19-2012, 10:12 AM
No problem, I may be mistaken for map 5, I can't remember now

Keep up the good work!
Career Officer
Quote:
O Evil One, I have great news: The long-awaited, months-in-the-making fifth installment of my "Ghosts of War" series is at last published and ready for your review!
Federation Mission - Ghosts of War V
Author: paxfederatica
Project ID: ST-HDISRTVDK

----------Report Start-----------

Summary: This is a riveting mission in the series with great map designs, several tough battles, and excellent story dialogue. I would highly recommend this mission to all players, although not on Elite level. The battles are tough enough on Normal. This episode in your series ties several elements together from the other episodes. It makes me look forward to the next episode in the series, so get back to work on it?

Below are a couple of things I noted while playing the mission that I wanted to let you know about. Everything in this write up should be seen as suggestions on ways I felt you could improve certain elements of the mission. They are yours to do with as you see fit.

Mission Description: This is a good description with detailed notes for the player. I noted no spelling or grammatical errors with this description.

Grant Mission Dialogue: This is a good grant dialogue. I noted no spelling or grammatical errors with this dialogue.

Mission Task: This is a good initial task with a clear start location for the first custom map. I noted no spelling errors with this task.

Mission Entry Prompt:

MAPS:
1: Utopia Planitia (Interior): This is a good map design with excellent story dialogue. I noted no spelling or grammatical errors with this dialogue. I noted one item to consider changing:
-Commander Veld is standing on the console.

2: Near Earth (Space - Phase-shifted): This is a good map design with fun battles and excellent story dialogue. I noted no spelling or grammatical errors with this dialogue or any issues with the map.

3: Earth Spacedock (Interior - Phase-shifted): This is a good map design with several tough battles and excellent story dialogue. I noted no spelling or grammatical errors with this dialogue or any issues with the map.

4: Earth Spacedock (Interior): This is a good map design with some fun battles and well written story dialogue. I noted no spelling or grammatical errors with this dialogue or any issues with the map.

5: Near Earth (Space - Phase-shifted): This is a good map design with fun battles and well written story dialogue. I noted one item to consider changing:
-The "Hail the Pax Federatica" dialogue; consider changing "it may mean these ones are injured" to read "it may mean they are injured".

6: Caves beneath Starfleet Academy (Interior - Phase-shifted): This is a good map design with excellent story dialogue. I noted no spelling or grammatical errors with this dialogue. I noted one item to consider changing:
-The other maps had excellent detail, but this one seemed a little plain. If this is the location where they found Data's head in the TNG series then you should consider adding objects that help make it look more like a mine shaft rather than a series of caves.

---------End Report----------

Thanks again for authoring and for giving me the chance to review your work. You did a great job with this mission and the entire series. I look forward to playing/reviewing more of your work in the future.
Brian

This critique report also filed 10/20/2012 on forum posting for: In depth mission reports upon request.
If you would like a detailed review of your mission please visit my forum posting "In depth mission reports upon request" for details.
Lieutenant
# 19
10-21-2012, 11:34 AM
Quote:
Thanks for the feedback! I found the ships labeled "Actor #x" in Map 2 and fixed them. I couldn't find any such ships in Map 5 though. I hope it's not one of those bugs that only becomes evident in a published mission.

I also moved all the invisible interacts a few feet back from their respective bulkheads, which should make it slightly harder to trap yourself on the wrong side. Last, but not least, I fixed that dialogue branch to make it go back to the branch point.

I also added a few more captains to fill up all the chairs in the briefing room, and tweaked Map 5 to have the Pax Federatica separate its chevron for battle. (The stardrive goes into combat, where it may or may not get destroyed, while the chevron stays behind for you to talk to afterward.)
just tried it again and it still finishes off the dialogue when you select the top option no idea why.
Career Officer
# 20
10-25-2012, 07:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerryu View Post
just tried it again and it still finishes off the dialogue when you select the top option no idea why.
Try it again. I recently added a couple more dialog boxes to that branch, and apparently doing that causes its endpoint to revert to "Finish Dialog". That's probably what you were seeing. I just fixed that, however.

I also fixed the bug that had been reported in the Battle of Club 47. I used to have two invisible barriers along the Club 47 "forcefield" wall: one in front of the club entrance that was supposed to be triggered when the player walks through it, and a "permanent" one the length of the rest of the wall. The permanent barrier was meant to keep the Devidians in the club from attacking the player over/through the wall while the player's still outside (as I observed happening in map previews), while the triggered one was meant to keep them from leaving (thus forcing the player to go back outside and hunt them down to complete the mission objective).

Some players reported that the triggered wall was appearing prematurely, locking them out of Club 47 and preventing them from completing the mission (not to mention denying them its epic centerpiece!). I never experienced this problem, even when playing the mission with one of my regular toons. However, when playing "for real" I also found that none of the mobs in Club 47 even spawn at all until I enter the club, even though I set most of them to spawn immediately at the start of the map. While this isn't what I intended, it does have the side benefit of eliminating the need for either of those invisible barriers, so I just deleted both of them to get rid of the reported bug.