Ensign
# 561 really??!!
10-14-2012, 01:05 PM
I really wish Cryptic still ran STO, I would hope they wouldn't want to chance losing all those lifetime members that have been here the whole time from the beginning. It is such a slap in the face to those of us that have been here since Beta testing in some cases. I agree with letting new lifetime subscribers get credit for time played, but letting some new guy that has never been in the game get the full 1000 day bonus is just for buying a lifetime subscription is just ... sigh ... what's the point? It is only about making money from new players, who cares about those that have invested so much time.
Career Officer
# 562
10-14-2012, 01:41 PM
Thanks screwing the people who bought it from the start over again by just giving everyone everything without them having to wait...
thanks a bunch!!
Ensign
# 563
10-14-2012, 03:14 PM
Maybe this has been said before but, im really confused by all the people claiming to have "earned" their 1000 day ships by being here since day 1. Im not sure how you earn something that is given to you, its not like you had to grind for the ship or perform super human feats of EQ 1 style Epic Quest heroism. You paid money, you got a ship, people do that on the C-store all the time. As for people getting them all unlocked for buying a lifetime sub?

well basically at the core, they bought something on sale for a lower price than you did. You paid 14.99 a month for 3 years, they paid 199-299 up front, got the ship on sale so to speak, if I buy a new car and take out a 5 year loan, and next year someone buys the same model used for a lower price cash, I dont start screaming in the streets about h ow I earned my car cause I Was there from day 1.
Commander
# 564
10-15-2012, 06:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jentharan View Post
Thanks screwing the people who bought it from the start over again by just giving everyone everything without them having to wait...
thanks a bunch!!
Quote:
We know you have a lot of options when it comes to how you spend your time. That's why it means so much to us that you choose to spend it with Star Trek Online. To show our appreciation, we've put together these great Veteran Rewards for anyone who's been a Star Trek Online subscriber for 100 to 1,000 days with new reward sets every one hundred days.
Every time I look at this now......
EXPLORE.

Dec '07 Account
I EARNED 1000 days...I didn't BUY it! New LTS=Death to Vet.System: 10/10/12 Never Forget
Something should be done for those who cared enough to have a 1000+ day sub.
Captain
# 565
10-15-2012, 06:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sylent1 View Post
I really wish Cryptic still ran STO, I would hope they wouldn't want to chance losing all those lifetime members that have been here the whole time from the beginning. It is such a slap in the face to those of us that have been here since Beta testing in some cases. I agree with letting new lifetime subscribers get credit for time played, but letting some new guy that has never been in the game get the full 1000 day bonus is just for buying a lifetime subscription is just ... sigh ... what's the point? It is only about making money from new players, who cares about those that have invested so much time.
If an "old" player is no longer putting money into the game they become a liability vs an asset. If they can suck new money out of a newer player - they then become an asset - until they stop putting money into the game and become a liability.

Unlike a game company that makes a game then its only cost is producing the DVD/box/paper and some support, Cryptic has mostly on-going costs of development which requires constant flows of money. To keep the game going you have to keep paying for ever - or at least a good number of people do. The free-to-play model is just an fantasy, in reality it has to be pay to play - just disguised as other things.
Career Officer
# 566
10-15-2012, 07:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiarose View Post
Maybe this has been said before but, im really confused by all the people claiming to have "earned" their 1000 day ships by being here since day 1. Im not sure how you earn something that is given to you, its not like you had to grind for the ship or perform super human feats of EQ 1 style Epic Quest heroism. You paid money, you got a ship, people do that on the C-store all the time. As for people getting them all unlocked for buying a lifetime sub?

well basically at the core, they bought something on sale for a lower price than you did. You paid 14.99 a month for 3 years, they paid 199-299 up front, got the ship on sale so to speak, if I buy a new car and take out a 5 year loan, and next year someone buys the same model used for a lower price cash, I dont start screaming in the streets about h ow I earned my car cause I Was there from day 1.
Quoted for truth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by robdmc View Post
Remember, this place [Captain's Table] is so desolate that upon entering the Aenigma Nebula you will be prompted with a warp out box because the game thinks you flew there by mistake.
Career Officer
# 567
10-15-2012, 07:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiarose View Post

The problem isn't the price of the LTS or the money earned / saved over time. Cryptic billed it as a "veteran reward" and explained that you earned it by having a sub for XX amount of time which made you a gaming veteran. Had they named it something simpler like "subscription perks" no one would be arguing about this.

In your example, it would be like someone giving you an award for driving your car for 1000 days straight, while at the same time someone who just bought the same car gets the same thing immediately. I'm not aware of any car company giving that type of award in real-life so your analogy is incorrect.
Kobayashi Maru

"Holographic tissue paper for the holographic runny nose. Don't give them to patients." - The Doctor
Lt. Commander
# 568
10-15-2012, 07:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by levi3 View Post
The free-to-play model is just an fantasy, in reality it has to be pay to play - just disguised as other things.
f2p is a scandal and should be called as you said further in the sentence - pay-to-play.
Yes, there is a free content inside, but excuse me, games that respect their audience call the free content - a demo. Would you play a game that would call itself a demo? No. Neither would I.

But the problem is not the name of the scandalous concept. No.
The problem is when the game, of any financial system, "free to play" fraud or subscription model or whatever else, the problem is when under every nicelooking name, the game is actually p2w. Pay to win. Is STO pay to win game? I won't answer it.
It's an offtopic here.

Lifetime subscription is now cheap (well... comparing other games that have it) and sorry but noone is trying to con anyone with it. LTS is on sale, it's $199 now, they don't cover it with f2p nonsense title or such crap, by stating what you get and for what amount, they're honest. Brag all day you want, I can only respect when someone says that the green color is green and not red.
Career Officer
# 569
10-15-2012, 07:40 AM
Can't believe you guys are still whining about this. It is no longer a veteran award and Cryptic should state that, it is now a LTS worth buying and I hope it brings more money to the game. Get over it and carry on playing, S7 is just around the corner and it looks awesome.

FLTCDR SRS FLEETS - S.R.S. - S.R.S. ACADEMY - SRS GUARDIANS - SRS KDF
Join Us www.srs-fleet.net/html/join_srs.html
Career Officer
# 570
10-15-2012, 09:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattjohnsonva View Post
....It is no longer a veteran award and Cryptic should state that......
And if Cryptic would just come out and say it; about 85% of the complaining would stop.
But to allow a sub with 30 days to use the "Veteran" Title is offensive. Whether in the real world or in cyberspace the title of "Veteran" is never bought; it is earned.