Career Officer
# 121
10-17-2012, 01:49 PM
It's a good change, and to be honest isn't as big a deal as others are crying about. I personally stopped using the Borg set two seasons back.

Now maybe they can fix the rest of the neglected sets!
Captain
# 122
10-17-2012, 01:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ussultimatum View Post
Let's say you have a captain power with a 3 minute cooldown.

That's 180s, reduced by 5% = 171s

Or, 2 minutes and 51s.

Functionally speaking, that's pointless.

You're still waiting, basically, 3 minutes.

"Torp builds" is a pretty limited and specific niche, and since many KDF ships can slot dual heavy cannons they are often much better off going with those for STFs.

It's a cost opportunity issue.

What you describe it does is fine for a power on a 45s or 60s cooldown.

This one, however, requires you to slot the entire MACO set and has a 3 minute cooldown. That's the main issue with it.

Similar to MACO, the issue is the cooldown to usage ratio and the fact that -50 defense is pointless on STFs, which one must assume the STF sets were in fact designed for.

It might as well be a -50 to sense of humor for all that it actually does against the borg.

These are not set bonuses.

They are part of the shield, and the shields are all generally good.

My post is discussing the set bonuses which are largely weak and pointless.
For PvP that 9 sec gives you the advantage of getting your APA or SNB etc up faster than your opponent. For PvE there are otherthings like NWS where you don't really have down time and the faster the better. Why are you only focusing on STFs?

You speak of opportunity costs, but don't include the value of the individual items? This makes no sense. You should be evaluating the individual items and w/e set bonus they may or may not have. So what if the jem set's 2 part bonus gives a polaron damage boost if the pieces of it are too substandard for w/e task @ hand you're trying to accomplish?

You don't think a team of 5 players staggering 3 part maco w/TBRs has any use in PvE?

You know the defense to ACC ratio spills over into crit hits and damage? The more you debuff a target's defense the more crit hits and crit damage you'll do. The -50% defense boost not only your damage but your allies. It also boosts kinetic damage. Again a team of 5 players can stagger them debuff on the targets.

Torp builds can fire off a torp a second. Brels can fire them cloaked while laying rear mines. The stf borg torps come w/a 1k damage boost proc and you don't think they're useful?
Starfleet Veteran
# 123
10-17-2012, 01:53 PM
I just checked it out on Tribble.

Interestingly, the Deflector, Drive an shield are now the old Borg set, but the console is part of a new set "Omega Adapted Borg technology", which contains the console, and "Omega Plasma Torpedo Launcher" and a "Kinetic Cutting Beam".
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Promote what you love, instead of bashing what you hate.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...lM_skuv4#t=584
Career Officer
# 124
10-17-2012, 01:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by red01999 View Post
Considering this will probably require a T8 starbase that takes even the huge fleets another 5 months to build, and tens of millions of dilithium, I am not overly excited at this prospect, even though the consoles may indeed be awesome.
No, the new holdings are either part of or just after S7 and will run concurrently with the current T4 builds going on. They are for embassies in various areas, the new Romulan zone for example and require far less in contributions than the Starbase, IIRC they are also going to be tied into the new rep system. There's a blog about it somewhere. The rewards will be new consoles again IIRC.

FLTCDR SRS FLEETS - S.R.S. - S.R.S. ACADEMY - SRS GUARDIANS - SRS KDF
Join Us www.srs-fleet.net/html/join_srs.html
Ensign
# 125
10-17-2012, 02:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophlogimo View Post
I just checked it out on Tribble.

Interestingly, the Deflector, Drive an shield are now the old Borg set, but the console is part of a new set "Omega Adapted Borg technology", which contains the console, and "Omega Plasma Torpedo Launcher" and a "Kinetic Cutting Beam".
I foresee some folks rocking both Borg sets since every piece occupies a different slot.
Commander
# 126
10-17-2012, 02:04 PM
Great change! The fact that a lot of ppl will go to a two Pc glider to keep the Maco shield will also tip the balance to offense a bit.
Survivor of Romulus
# 127
10-17-2012, 02:07 PM
I find it funny because of all the changes to skills and sets have been because pvpers are *****ing about being overpowered....then it makes it underpowered in PvE because players want "balance" in PvP....

PS: clef-censoring rules :p

Quote:
Originally Posted by borticuscryptic View Post
I find this line of replies sadly hilarious. We put a lot of work into the massive list of fixes/changes above, and ya'll are hung up on the ability to skip our content. =p
Career Officer
# 128
10-17-2012, 02:08 PM
Now i'm going to have to remember wtf the other sets do...
Commander
# 129
10-17-2012, 02:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynder2012 View Post
I find it funny because of all the changes to skills and sets have been because pvpers are *****ing about being overpowered....then it makes it underpowered in PvE because players want "balance" in PvP....

PS: clef-censoring rules :p
Exactly what is underpowered? You get the same bonuses from 3 pcs as you did from 4, AND your getting a whole new "set" of toys!
Empire Veteran
# 130
10-17-2012, 02:19 PM
good change, only the borg shield should get that regeneration imo. the tractor beam should have been moved to that new set, a 1% chance of 10 more weapons power is useless.
gateway links-->Norvo Tigan, Telis Latto Ruwon, Sochie Heim, Solana Soleus