Starfleet Veteran
# 1 Dialogue Success / Failure
10-16-2012, 11:45 PM
I'm working on a Dialogue with Success / Failure, but the Failure option is no longer appearing.

Was this feature removed?

EDIT: Seems this feature only works for Popup Dialogues that are independent of the Storyline Tree. Anyone have a clue to get those to work with success / failure?
NO to ARC!

Season 9.5 = STO's NGE is Coming!

Last edited by azurianstar; 10-16-2012 at 11:53 PM.
Starfleet Veteran
# 2
10-17-2012, 12:00 AM
Failures can also be used on Dialog with Contact, but those are the only two dialog trees that support failure.

@greendragoon
Starfleet Veteran
# 3
10-17-2012, 12:11 AM
Unfortunately, what I intend was to be a puzzle. So right now my options are not to do it or use rebounds (going back to certain dialogue boxes).
NO to ARC!

Career Officer
# 4
10-17-2012, 01:54 AM
A lot of times you can substitute a map dialogue without really losing anything. It's possible to make it impossible to proceed with a map dialogue, just block the way with invisible walls or a force field, etc, or don't tell the player where to go.

Another option if it's on the ground is to use a contact reskinned as a console. That has the benefit of allowing the player to interact with it multiple times.

The problem with the failed dialogues is they minimize on the screen and that might be confusing to some players. Looping back is probably a better alternative in general, simply because you avoid that problem.

Click here for my Foundry tutorial on Creating A Custom Interior Map.
Starfleet Veteran
# 5
10-17-2012, 11:44 PM
Well in the end I just worked out the loop, but wanted to have the failure option so it was similar to you entering password, getting an error, then starting over.

Perhaps this is something the Foundry Team could consider adding in the future, minigames of various types of logic puzzles. Keypads, lever combinations, etc.
NO to ARC!

Starfleet Veteran
# 6
10-18-2012, 07:12 AM
Keep in mind that with non-failure dialogs, all the player has to do to continue is minimize the dialog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azurianstar View Post
Well in the end I just worked out the loop, but wanted to have the failure option so it was similar to you entering password, getting an error, then starting over.

Perhaps this is something the Foundry Team could consider adding in the future, minigames of various types of logic puzzles. Keypads, lever combinations, etc.
I don't think we'll ever see anything more complex than the dialog tree. Eventually, we'll get the Dialog with Object which is perfect for doing this sort of thing.

@greendragoon

Last edited by thegreendragoon1; 10-18-2012 at 07:27 AM.
Career Officer
# 7
10-18-2012, 06:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreendragoon1 View Post
Keep in mind that with non-failure dialogs, all the player has to do to continue is minimize the dialog.
Players don't know that by and large. If they don't know what to look for, telling a map dialogue apart from a story dialogue is not very easy. Not to mention, they won't be able to continue if, for example, that force field only drops on a "Dialogue Prompt Reached" set to the "success" outcome.

Click here for my Foundry tutorial on Creating A Custom Interior Map.