Lieutenant
# 21
10-18-2012, 02:50 PM
Like everything else, DOFFing gets boring after doing it for a long time. And really boring if you're doing it on a whole bunch of characters.

With this change, it will be boring no longer. It will become an entirely ignored portion of the game.

Acquiring and donating items for Starbase construction feels to many people like a waste of time and effort.

With this change, it will feel like a waste of time and effort to very nearly EVERYONE.

Now this all assumes they don't add some other way of getting DOFFs much cheaper AND a way to get rid of DOFFs you don't want and get something out of it. But let's be honest, I don't see that happening.

This looks like nothing other than a MASSIVE penalty. If their intent is to increase sales of c-store DOFF packs, I'm sure it will be successful...for a while. And then those c-store DOFF packs will entirely stop selling as nearly everyone that plays STO because they enjoy DOFFing will move on to a different game.
Career Officer
# 22
10-18-2012, 02:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ussultimatum View Post
You know I try to be positive and accept that the game needs to make money, but there are times when the crushing grind of "free to play" has me feeling that by this time next year you can log into the game and play for free but dilithium costs will be added to sector space travel, basic character movement, opening menus and a "cost per character" when you type in chat.
Believe me, its not my intent to be a downer . But the reality is that STO is the lab experiment for PWI to figure out what western players will and will not accept. I think STO's well being is secondary to them getting those metrics.
Commander
# 23
10-18-2012, 02:55 PM
I'll add this as well, to make sure our concerns are 100% heard:

We are not looking for a reduction in the cost to run General Recruitment and the "Shredders"/Exchanges compared to what's being offered.

We're wanting costs to stay the same on something so general as, well, General Recruitment. If we're getting White DOFFs the vast majority of the time, why should we pay 1,000 Dilithium? Why should we pay anything? We can only get 1 Dilithium per DOFF back on them if we dismiss them.

As well, the Starbase system already takes a ton of Dilithium. Don't effectively add another 1,000 per General Recruitment run. As many DOFFs as it'll take, that's effectively what you're asking us to do.

So if you're really listening to us, please remove any cost associated with the General Recruitment and re-think your costs on the "Shredders"/Exchanges.
Captain
# 24
10-18-2012, 02:55 PM
Angry Mob - Check
Pitchforks - Check
Large Signs - Check

Honestly who thought this was a good idea.....
http://www.auroratrek.com/index.html
Career Officer
# 25
10-18-2012, 02:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by red01999 View Post
Definitely not picking up extra char slots or DOff slots at this point. That's just ridiculous, and I shudder to think what it might be like to start over under these conditions.
Actually a player just starting right now is in a pretty good position. They notice right away this is a game for whales and free players, anyone trying to stay in the middle will be unsatisfied. Most of us have been around a long time and have such an investment of time and money and friendships built in that the change to f2p has left us caught in the middle.
Career Officer
# 26
10-18-2012, 02:59 PM
This should be interesting. I'm sure they are doing this to stop people from profiting from the DOff exchange. It's going to work, no question about it.

But it's going to drop dilithium exchange rates again, force DOff exchange prices to skyrocket, and make it once again impossible to upgrade starbases. This will effectively kill the only feature Cryptic released in S6.
Kobayashi Maru

"Holographic tissue paper for the holographic runny nose. Don't give them to patients." - The Doctor
Career Officer
# 27
10-18-2012, 03:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobayashlmaru View Post

But it's going to drop dilithium exchange rates again, force DOff exchange prices to skyrocket, and make it once again impossible to upgrade starbases. This will effectively kill the only feature Cryptic released in S6.
This is surprising somehow? Nukara and Defera... dead already. Starbases... already slowly dying because they are just too much of a grind. Upcoming next season... more grinding. All these grinds cost... for the priviledge of paying extra lol.

Silly Cryptic Execs, would it kill you to let the dev teams offer value now and then? Is PWI really that cavalier about risking it all for their metrics?
Captain
# 28
10-18-2012, 03:08 PM
Quote:
ut it's going to drop dilithium exchange rates again, force DOff exchange prices to skyrocket, and make it once again impossible to upgrade starbases. This will effectively kill the only feature Cryptic released in S6.
it'll go way beyond that. Doffing just dosen't work very well with mostly whites, you need greens and above to really get anywhere with it. Blues and purples really for the long haul. Thats now impossibble. NO ONE is ever going to egtall purple doffs who dosen't allready have them, it's just not going to happen, no one has enough time and STO won't last long enough as a game even if it has a long, (by MMO standards), and active future, becuase it's a multi-year dilithium grind to do it. That bassiclly means for probably 80% of the playebase doffing ios dead, which just removed a huge chunk of Dilithium and FM generation from things.
Career Officer
# 29
10-18-2012, 03:18 PM
I think the real question is

WILL THERE BE ENUFF PPL LEFT TO PLAY THIS GAME?

Cause this is just so stupid it's funny. Exchange prices now pretty much show the real value of all doffs except purple. I.e. they are useless. Except for starbases... Or for those who still bother.
STF Elite Advanced Tactics
Career Officer
# 30
10-18-2012, 03:18 PM
I... I have no words for this.

Joined August 2008