Captain
# 11
10-18-2012, 09:14 PM
One thing I don't understand is why the devs gave one side 3 unique (and effective) power drain abilities (siphon drones, aceton assimilators, and plasmonic leech). When combined with universal power drain abilities like polaron weapons and tyken's rift, the amount of power drained is devastating and seems to be uncounterable if the team using them has any coordination, which the team that I faced did. To me, that seems like an obvious design flaw that should be fixed, but how long has it been this way (honest question as I'm new to PvP)?

Would the game not be better if these 3 items were entirely removed from the game and the previous owners of them compensated in dilithium/zen? I have faced siphons before and yes they were annoying, and I have faced assimilators before and yes they were annoying, and I have faced plasmonic leech before and ok, it wasn't too bad by itself. But when these powers are combined (plus, combined even further with universal drains) and used in a coordinated effort that takes advantage of the lowered power levels it seems completely game-breaking. I have really enjoyed PvP up until that match, but I think I'm starting to understand why the queues are often empty.
Commander
# 12
10-18-2012, 09:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by skurf View Post
One thing I don't understand is why the devs gave one side 3 unique (and effective) power drain abilities (siphon drones, aceton assimilators, and plasmonic leech). When combined with universal power drain abilities like polaron weapons and tyken's rift, the amount of power drained is devastating and seems to be uncounterable if the team using them has any coordination, which the team that I faced did. To me, that seems like an obvious design flaw that should be fixed, but how long has it been this way (honest question as I'm new to PvP)?

Would the game not be better if these 3 items were entirely removed from the game and the previous owners of them compensated in dilithium/zen? I have faced siphons before and yes they were annoying, and I have faced assimilators before and yes they were annoying, and I have faced plasmonic leech before and ok, it wasn't too bad by itself. But when these powers are combined (plus, combined even further with universal drains) and used in a coordinated effort that takes advantage of the lowered power levels it seems completely game-breaking. I have really enjoyed PvP up until that match, but I think I'm starting to understand why the queues are often empty.
yes it would be better, but no, they wont do it. They've taken a stab at trying to fix it, but either they haven't put enough resources into it, or it's outside their capability to figure out. I have enough faith that it's not the latter to simply conclude it's just not that high on their priority list. This isn't saying it's not on their list at all, just not high up on it. Until it gets fixed, FvK will always suffer
Captain
# 13
10-18-2012, 09:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontdrunkimshoot View Post
surprised my processor survived.
I have to turn settings down a bunch going into PvP these days. Didn't used to have the problem, but there are times where if I didn't - I swear I could hear groans from my rig and see steam coming out the side from where the tears were cooking.

Between all the EWP/Plasma/Wells/Rifts/and drone spam... the screen tends to look like a cat ate a box of crayons and threw up on it. Somebody breaks out Temp stuff and I'll actually double cursor and get lost in desync...meh.
Career Officer
# 14
10-18-2012, 09:55 PM
Just wait until the Feds get these things in future lockboxes.

You know it's gonna happen. Just wait and see.

And the proposed siphion fix is still bad because the drones will have an unlimited amount of stacking and long term drain. Sure it'll take longer to drain but its still unlimited and can still be stacked.
Captain
# 15
10-18-2012, 10:05 PM
How about this: limit the maximum amount of power drained from any 1 ship to 50% of their maximum power, no matter how many power drains are stacked on them. That way you won't be a sitting duck dead in the water, but it won't invalidate these power drain abilities either.
Commander
# 16
10-18-2012, 10:14 PM
they should have major shared cooldown
The Average PvP player

1) Teamwork and timing is #1
2) You cannot "Kirk It" in every ship
3) You are going to die, just get back up
Rihannsu
# 17
10-18-2012, 10:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by husanakx View Post
Easiest Fix.... warp out. No I'm not kidden.
[...]
Welll, I can understand that one does that when he's having a bad day, but as a thought-out strategy? Nah. I mean, in a real war situation/open PvP, you'd obviously retreat and come back with lots of reinforcements if at all possible, but isn't PvP via the queues supposed to be like sports?

Like thishorizon said, keeping some distance and using AOE attacks like EWP is what works best. The drain team will still be at an advantage, though. Energy drain is just a very good weapon.

Has anyone ever tried to build a fed energy drain team?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Promote what you love, instead of bashing what you hate.
Rihannsu
# 18
10-18-2012, 10:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontdrunkimshoot View Post
if you think that, you have 0 grasp of what your doing, seriously. review the help threads, ask questions, and be willing to learn. the game is about 85% perfectly balanced
Hm, I think the main problem is that the combat is just too fast. I reckon that if everything went at half speed, it would still be enjoayble and easier to learn. (It woul also feel more like Trek to me, but that is obviously subjective.)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Promote what you love, instead of bashing what you hate.
Commander
# 19
10-18-2012, 10:57 PM
I am a player who frequents the Klingon side often (4 KDf characters to 1 Fed character). I went into a private match with some guys and my Fleet Tor'kaht was at the receiving end of his own faction's power draining spam.

As an honorable Klingon (saving for the decloaking alpha strikes, got to use what I have) I don't use Aceton Assimilators or Siphon Drones. I only use the Plasmonic Leech because even if I spec into it, the power drain isn't enough to make people worry, especially if they have specced into Power Insulators. I also use Polarons, but only because they're purple in color and the power drain proc doesn't happen often and clears in no time.

But I think warp plasma or Topedo spreads can take care of drones and Assimilators.
Captain
# 20
10-18-2012, 11:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophlogimo View Post
Welll, I can understand that one does that when he's having a bad day, but as a thought-out strategy? Nah. I mean, in a real war situation/open PvP, you'd obviously retreat and come back with lots of reinforcements if at all possible, but isn't PvP via the queues supposed to be like sports?

Like thishorizon said, keeping some distance and using AOE attacks like EWP is what works best. The drain team will still be at an advantage, though. Energy drain is just a very good weapon.

Has anyone ever tried to build a fed energy drain team?
Nah, the Feddies just use their sci spam BS and subsystem targeting to disable and hold ships while bludgeoning them to death. They don't need energy draining.

I love it when Feddies complain about KDF drain abilities, but don't seem to see a problem with pre-made sci spamming teams that also toss in a few pay-to-win abilities (graviton pulse being one). I don't do either, tbh. The only P2W I use is Impulse Capacitance Cell (which can be overcome with sci spam or subnukes). Other than that, I just rely on decloak alphastrikes, skill, and a bit of luck.