Captain
# 21
10-18-2012, 11:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingmaster View Post
Nah, the Feddies just use their sci spam BS and subsystem targeting to disable and hold ships while bludgeoning them to death. They don't need energy draining.

I love it when Feddies complain about KDF drain abilities, but don't seem to see a problem with pre-made sci spamming teams that also toss in a few pay-to-win abilities (graviton pulse being one). I don't do either, tbh. The only P2W I use is Impulse Capacitance Cell (which can be overcome with sci spam or subnukes). Other than that, I just rely on decloak alphastrikes, skill, and a bit of luck.
Did you just crawl out of Season 2-3 hole or something ? What is a sci spam in current state of DPS Online ?
Captain
# 22
10-18-2012, 11:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalnar83 View Post
Did you just crawl out of Season 2-3 hole or something ? What is a sci spam in current state of DPS Online ?
Sci spam is when they throw enough sci skills at you to where you run out of debuff-clearing abilities (very quickly). That's still quite applicable, especially when you don't have a dedicated and competent healer around. A good example would be to use sensor scramble, tractor beams, subsystem targeting (sci ships have this automatically, so I consider it a hybrid of sci and tac), sensor scan to massively debuff, subnucleonic beam, energy drain, and maybe throw in a few p2w moves in for flavor. Most sci spam is accompanied by a few eng abilities like warp plasma for extra holding and graphics overload.

That's why I laugh at people whining about how sci skills are soooo underpowered. Yeah, a few could use a buff (Tachyon Beam, especially), but most of the people complaining are just people who aren't using science builds the way they're supposed to be used. . .to debuff, disable, or hold your opponents and wear through the defenses (or have teammates shred them). They're expecting to use science skills to DPS the heck out of everyone, and that's not what you're supposed to do with most sci skills.
Survivor of Romulus
# 23
10-18-2012, 11:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalnar83 View Post
He probably means the Danubes.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Promote what you love, instead of bashing what you hate.
Captain
# 24
10-18-2012, 11:50 PM
Quote:
Nah, the Feddies just use their sci spam BS and subsystem targeting to disable and hold ships while bludgeoning them to death. They don't need energy draining.

I love it when Feddies complain about KDF drain abilities, but don't seem to see a problem with pre-made sci spamming teams that also toss in a few pay-to-win abilities (graviton pulse being one). I don't do either, tbh. The only P2W I use is Impulse Capacitance Cell (which can be overcome with sci spam or subnukes). Other than that, I just rely on decloak alphastrikes, skill, and a bit of luck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophlogimo View Post
He probably means the Danubes.
I am not a "Feddie" just here to complain and whine about how KDF is OP. In fact, I would say I spend 60-70% of my time on my 2 KDF toons vs. my 1 Fed toon. I was curious if there was a hard counter to this type of team. I'll try to carry some extra boffs and weapons for a layout to counter this with scatter volley, torp spread and eject warp plasma. It's not my prefered layout by any means, but if it's what I gotta do then it's what I gotta do.

As for danubes, I really don't understand the complaints and comparisons to siphon drones. Yes, they're annoying, but there are hard counters built into the game that can pretty much make your ship immune to tractor beams, such as running 2 APO's, AP doffs, polarize hull, and evasive maneuvers. I have been on the receiving end of both siphon/drain teams as a Fed and tractor/hold teams as a Klink. It is much more manageable to deal with the tractors/holds than it is a fully decked out KDF drain team. Like I said, I'll try what has been recommended, but I have a feeling it ain't gonna be easy, especially with pugs.
Captain
# 25
10-19-2012, 12:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by skurf View Post
One thing I don't understand is why the devs gave one side 3 unique (and effective) power drain abilities (siphon drones, aceton assimilators, and plasmonic leech).
Aceton Assimilators' drain is broken. Against a ship with no skill points in Power Insulators, it drains 50% of what it says it will do. At 6 Power Insulators, it is resisted 100%.

The only thing you have to worry about those is someone firing energy weapons on a tactical buffed Assimilator.
Captain
# 26
10-19-2012, 01:50 AM
Looks like the pandas need to dust off the anti tuq heghta builds again. Me, MT and a couple of others developed very specific builds to counter such a team. Yup, i know i cried once earlier, but........

AOE is the way to go, but not in the way you think. Energy weapons are absolutely useless in this encounter.

Husanak, it brinks your favourit weapons into play. The feared torpedos and a few other secrets to compliment.
Aux based team healing is a no go for such an encounter so plenty of team heals is a must.

PS, warp plasma is useless as you are generally tractored in place as well.
aka NazHuggyBear2

"No, there is no real problem with P2W in STO. Obviously, if you fight against someone with an equal level of skill in the game, better equipment will give you an edge. But usually, it is the skill level that determines the outcome, not the P2W." - Sprinkles
Empire Veteran
# 27
10-19-2012, 01:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by naz4 View Post
Looks like the pandas need to dust off the anti tuq heghta builds again. Me, MT and a couple of others developed very specific builds to counter such a team. Yup, i know i cried once earlier, but........

AOE is the way to go, but not in the way you think. Energy weapons are absolutely useless in this encounter.

Husanak, it brinks your favourit weapons into play. The feared torpedos and a few other secrets to compliment.
Aux based team healing is a no go for such an encounter so plenty of team heals is a must.

even if you cant move and you release plasma, your killing the drones on you, its kinda fool proof. TBR is good too, even with no aux your dealing lots of damage to them. applying plasma to a team mate who is being siphoned is a quick fix on them too. you need very specific ships to pull off a effective plasma countering though
gateway links-->Norvo Tigan, Telis Latto Ruwon, Sochie Heim, Solana Soleus
Captain
# 28
10-19-2012, 02:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by naz4 View Post

Why so cryptic? These drain team bastards need to be put in their place and it's not going to happen with people keeping secrets and giving vague innuendos on how to deal with them. If you know of a way please enlighten us all.
Career Officer
# 29
10-19-2012, 02:47 AM
Quote:
Sci spam is when they throw enough sci skills at you to where you run out of debuff-clearing abilities (very quickly). That's still quite applicable, especially when you don't have a dedicated and competent healer around. A good example would be to use sensor scramble, tractor beams, subsystem targeting (sci ships have this automatically, so I consider it a hybrid of sci and tac), sensor scan to massively debuff, subnucleonic beam, energy drain, and maybe throw in a few p2w moves in for flavor. Most sci spam is accompanied by a few eng abilities like warp plasma for extra holding and graphics overload.

That's why I laugh at people whining about how sci skills are soooo underpowered. Yeah, a few could use a buff (Tachyon Beam, especially), but most of the people complaining are just people who aren't using science builds the way they're supposed to be used. . .to debuff, disable, or hold your opponents and wear through the defenses (or have teammates shred them). They're expecting to use science skills to DPS the heck out of everyone, and that's not what you're supposed to do with most sci skills.
ill stop sci spaming people when tactical stop DPS spamming.
Survivor of Romulus
# 30
10-19-2012, 03:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by matteo716maikai View Post
ill stop sci spaming people when tactical stop DPS spamming.
Well said.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Promote what you love, instead of bashing what you hate.