Ensign
# 91
10-16-2012, 08:39 PM
HEY,
this probbably isnt the right place for this question, but is there a way to play STO on ipad 3 and ONLY ipad 3?

I've seen people do it with their ipad connected to a computer and stuff but if I only had my ipad + peripherals on me could I still play it?

the only problem I can think of is how to get it onto the actual ipad...
I was thinking that you could download the file on pc, burn it on a disc, make itunes upload it, and then just sync with ipad, but then again, it's never that easy.

I also heared it was possible using something called iswifter but I have yet to explore such things.

ANY HELP WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED...

(it would be MUCH easier if those lazy devs would just make the game available in the app store FOR ipad....)

anyways, yeah. Thanks!
Career Officer
# 92
10-17-2012, 07:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainlysiak1 View Post
HEY,
this probbably isnt the right place for this question, but is there a way to play STO on ipad 3 and ONLY ipad 3?

I've seen people do it with their ipad connected to a computer and stuff but if I only had my ipad + peripherals on me could I still play it?

the only problem I can think of is how to get it onto the actual ipad...
I was thinking that you could download the file on pc, burn it on a disc, make itunes upload it, and then just sync with ipad, but then again, it's never that easy.

I also heared it was possible using something called iswifter but I have yet to explore such things.

ANY HELP WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED...

(it would be MUCH easier if those lazy devs would just make the game available in the app store FOR ipad....)

anyways, yeah. Thanks!
STO is Windows-only software... Wineskin allows you to get some Windows-only software cheaply/quickly ported to Mac OS X... but it does not work at all with iOS. iOS devices use an ARM CPU, which is not even remotely compatible with x86 (Intel). It would take a HUGE amount of work to try to do something like that... a lot of money and probably around a year of time (or more depending on the problems ran into). I don't know enough about STOs actual source code to be any more specific.

What some people do, as you have said... is remotely connect to their PC, so they see their PC screen on the iPad... so STO is still running on their PC, they just can control their PC from their iPad.
Ensign
# 93
10-18-2012, 12:58 AM
OK, I finally got it installed OK, and I can launch STO and actually get into the log-in screen now. But every time I log in, it crashes. Every single time.

Here's what happens: I click on the Wineskin wrapper, it opens STO in a small window the upper left corner of my screen, I type in my username and password, it logs me in, it says 'Loading launcher..." and then crashes. Then it gives me a "Oops, your Cryptic application has crashed" notification. It does this every time I log in. So, is there anything else I can do? Thanks in advance.
Career Officer
# 94
10-18-2012, 06:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaywest21 View Post
OK, I finally got it installed OK, and I can launch STO and actually get into the log-in screen now. But every time I log in, it crashes. Every single time.

Here's what happens: I click on the Wineskin wrapper, it opens STO in a small window the upper left corner of my screen, I type in my username and password, it logs me in, it says 'Loading launcher..." and then crashes. Then it gives me a "Oops, your Cryptic application has crashed" notification. It does this every time I log in. So, is there anything else I can do? Thanks in advance.
so you never get to hit "Engage" ??

What system are you on? Can you do a Test Run from Wineskin.app in Advanced...? It'll give logs that may (or may not) help... not sure I've heard of it crashing at that point.
Ensign
# 95
10-19-2012, 12:31 AM
I'm on an old (2008) 24" iMac running Mountain Lion 10.8.2. I tried the test run from the Wineskin.app in Advanced, and it does the same thing. It opens the log-in window, I type in my username and password, and it crashes. It does give me logs but I'm pretty clueless when it comes to computers and I have no idea what they mean or how to interpret them. I can send you the logs if you'd like.

And no, I can never get to hit "Engage" because it crashes before I can do so. It crashes while the launcher is loading. I know I'm logged in because after I type in my username & password it says "Welcome, JayWest21" at the top of the log-in window. So I know I'm in there. But then right after that down at the bottom it also says "Loading launcher..." then it crashes.

I also noticed that it has a red rectangular box at the bottom of the log-in window that says "You need JavaScript enabled in order for this site to work properly" or something like that. But I've always had JS enabled by default. I looked in my Preferences just to double check and sure enough, I still had JS enabled. So I don't know why it's saying that. It never used to say that back when I had STO working (before Apple's update that broke compatibility).

I was thinking maybe it might have something to do with the latest update that Apple just pushed out on Tuesday (16 Oct) that removes Java from Mac web browsers, requiring you to go download the Java plug-in manually from Oracle or something like that. At least that was my limited understanding of it.
Ensign
# 96
10-19-2012, 02:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by therealdoh123 View Post
not sure if i understand...

if you crashed, then it may want to verify files thinking something might be messed up, that is nothing to do with what was going on in game, just that it crashed.

Verify can take a while, but it comes up in a new pop up window in the center of the screen... you have to answer it before anything else works.

Why are you clicking Option? Did you quit and launch it again?
ye i quit and launched again and now i can get as far as character select but because I'm saved at the same place it keeps telling me to verify but doesn't give me an option to do so like you mentioned which is why i tried to use the option button in the launcher to do it. but whenever i tried, the normal engage button changed to cancel and never changes back to engage, let alone start to verify the files
Career Officer
# 97
10-19-2012, 04:12 AM
Quote:
I'm on an old (2008) 24" iMac running Mountain Lion 10.8.2. I tried the test run from the Wineskin.app in Advanced, and it does the same thing. It opens the log-in window, I type in my username and password, and it crashes. It does give me logs but I'm pretty clueless when it comes to computers and I have no idea what they mean or how to interpret them. I can send you the logs if you'd like.
you can copy and paste logs on pastebin.com and then post the link to them over here.
Quote:
I also noticed that it has a red rectangular box at the bottom of the log-in window that says "You need JavaScript enabled in order for this site to work properly" or something like that. But I've always had JS enabled by default. I looked in my Preferences just to double check and sure enough, I still had JS enabled. So I don't know why it's saying that. It never used to say that back when I had STO working (before Apple's update that broke compatibility).

I was thinking maybe it might have something to do with the latest update that Apple just pushed out on Tuesday (16 Oct) that removes Java from Mac web browsers, requiring you to go download the Java plug-in manually from Oracle or something like that. At least that was my limited understanding of it.
That error will have nothing to do with using JavaScript in any of your Mac Web browsers.. its all internal to the wrapper. It almost sounds like your wrapper is somehow getting corrupted, but I don't have a clue how that could happen... you could try to move the install over into a clean copy of the wrapper, but the log in window should work fine on almost any computer, even ones that the game will not run... I've never heard of anyone having crashing issues like this.

Oh, and for your info, JavaScript and Java are NOT the same thing, and are not even remotely related. The only thing common about them is the word "Java" in the name. This is confusing to most people because of the idiots who named JavaScript that should have never named it that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sokin287 View Post
ye i quit and launched again and now i can get as far as character select but because I'm saved at the same place it keeps telling me to verify but doesn't give me an option to do so like you mentioned which is why i tried to use the option button in the launcher to do it. but whenever i tried, the normal engage button changed to cancel and never changes back to engage, let alone start to verify the files
I really do not understand whats going on. Something in the game after you get to character select is saying to verify something? Never heard of that.. verify messages usually prompt during log in. Verify files can take a LOOOOOOONG time as well. It sounds like you may just have some corrupted game files though and its nothing to do with the wrapper. I had an issue with corrupted files once in the past and I had to trash almost every file in the STO install besides the Star Trek Online.exe and let the patch server download everything over again... which takes a LOOOOOONG time too.
Ensign
# 98
10-19-2012, 08:53 AM
ok thanks for your help... you were right, it seems like it was a corrupted game file i downloaded a different copy and step it up and the patch fix did the rest... your wrapper is great sry i was so confusing about what was going on but as you as see i didn't know where to start first thanks again for your help
Ensign
# 99
10-20-2012, 02:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by therealdoh123 View Post
you can copy and paste logs on pastebin.com and then post the link to them over here.

That error will have nothing to do with using JavaScript in any of your Mac Web browsers.. its all internal to the wrapper. It almost sounds like your wrapper is somehow getting corrupted, but I don't have a clue how that could happen... you could try to move the install over into a clean copy of the wrapper, but the log in window should work fine on almost any computer, even ones that the game will not run... I've never heard of anyone having crashing issues like this.

Oh, and for your info, JavaScript and Java are NOT the same thing, and are not even remotely related. The only thing common about them is the word "Java" in the name. This is confusing to most people because of the idiots who named JavaScript that should have never named it that.
Oh, OK. Once again, thanks a lot for all your help thus far. I'll try to get into the log and see if I can paste the link to it in here.

I knew that Java and JavaScript aren't the same thing; I just didn't know what the difference was between them. I consider myself only just barely computer literate, so I have a lot to learn.

I'll also try moving the install over to a clean wrapper (again) and see if that helps.
Rihannsu
# 100
10-20-2012, 02:51 AM
Tried the new wrapper on my old imac 10.8.2 and all works fine even tribble, great job doh123

The performance has increased significantly on my old machine, very happy about it. Sound works great, and no more window conflicts. *big thumps up*

Don't let all the problem post fool you every one, this thing has been working great for quite some time.
Joined 06.10
PvP 2010-2011
PvP 2012-2013

Last edited by havam; 10-22-2012 at 02:06 AM.