Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Klingon Fleetyards
Login

Lt. Commander
I have a KDF science officer in the Vo'Quv carrier - I have bought and tested every carrier pet available for EC, hoping to get an idea of how they perform and been underwhelmed.

Based on forum writings in the PvP section - syphon drones are hugely OP, and capable of redering elite tactical cubes helpless - but even with a full set of flow cap consoles and spec into flow cap skills, the regular syphon drones can't even disable a probe in the empire defence scenario.

Orion slavers - mine never stole anything, but they did seem a bit more effective than the standard To'Duj fighters which were almost completely ineffective.

The B'rel BOPs work ok.

The specs of the advanced versions look better, but how does that translate in practice?

I'm wondering wether the Vo'Quv was a bad mistake, and whether I should just cut my losses and walk away now rather than spend my small stockpile of dil on new pets.
Empire Veteran
# 2
10-19-2012, 11:04 AM
i recommend: Bops
Empire Veteran
# 3
10-19-2012, 11:16 AM
slavers big time
Lieutenant
# 4
10-19-2012, 01:53 PM
Really, the high-end hanger-pets are indeed better than the normal versions. My humble opinion is that the best pets are the advanced Frigates and Skul fighters for the Kar'Fi. For the Voquv, most people seem to get the most out of BoPs. Their alpha-strike is respectable, and they pop out photon torpedoes all over the place.

Most of the Advanced versions just add a higher tier skill (like Torpedo Heavy Yield II instead of I) or else they increase the pet's defenses so they last longer. They do cost more, but they really do improve the effectiveness.

The power drain drones are fine with a full power drain build. Enhanced FlowCaps, Tyken's Rifts, Power Drain deflector powers all add together for monstrous draining, but you really have to commit yourself. Plasmonic Leech plus Polarons plus FlowCaps plus Drain Drones plus Tyken's Rift plus Siphon Beam plus Breen Siphon all add up to powerless opponents. The fewer items you add in, the less likely you'll actually shut them down. Even without a gung-ho build, the target my still be moving and shooting, but you'll notice that their energy weapons are so weak that they don't actually hurt your shields. You don't have to shut them down completely to take them out of the fight.
Lieutenant
# 5
10-19-2012, 02:03 PM
I have to give the advanced BOP's a big thumbs up against the borg. I was in a red alert yesterday with two Voq'uv carriers equipped with advanced BOP's and they could have taken the whole thing by themselves.

I was in my own BOP doing a typical lurking strategy, waiting for the big guys to get aggro so I could unleash my attack from safety but it seriously wasn't required. I had a hard time getting to a targeted cube on time before it got busted up and destroyed by the BOP spam.

Extremely impressive, I've never seen Borg go down so fast! The cubes were popping like they were spheres.

Makes me wat to roll up an Eng and put him in a Carrier!
Republic Veteran
# 6
10-19-2012, 04:48 PM
Like its been said, the advanced BoP's are your bust choice for a offensive Vo'quv build.
Empire Veteran
# 7
10-19-2012, 10:34 PM
Something of importance I've found out is:

Launch BoPs...constantly. As fast as you possibly can, max aux, Flight Deck Officers, anything to launch em as quick as you can.

The reason why is because every time you launch a new carrier pet, it has no cooldowns. So every new BoP that pops out, has another HY 2, another CRF, and so on ready to go.

That's partially why they can be so nasty, some captains had their fighter pets launching within seconds (less than 5), constantly releasing a whole slew of new pets with no cooldowns, over and over and over.

Even with the Flight Deck Officer nerf we had recently, it's still a good idea to run them, especially 3 purples if you have the EC.

Captain
# 8
10-19-2012, 11:22 PM
Sipon Drones got nerfed mid-season 5. They used to be fairly OP-- two carriers spamming them could shut down Donatra even not skilled into Flow Caps -- but not anymore.

I'd go Advanced BoPs for a Vo'Quv, the Advanced Slavers do steal Contraband, but it's luck as to when. Bad luck you might be wondering if they are even working at all, good luck you'd get Contraband 6x every couple of STFs as well as smattering of other commodities and trickles of EC.
Career Officer
# 9
10-19-2012, 11:27 PM
Only the ADVANCED Slavers actually do any stealing. Just FYI. Your basic level ones do not which is why you havent been seeing it yet.

I like the Advanvced BOPs and the Advanced Slavers a whole lot.
Republic Veteran
# 10
10-20-2012, 07:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hippiejon View Post
Only the ADVANCED Slavers actually do any stealing. Just FYI. Your basic level ones do not which is why you havent been seeing it yet.

I like the Advanvced BOPs and the Advanced Slavers a whole lot.
They don't steal much but they do steal...I was leveling a officer to 50 to use the new destroyer...on the way through 40 I used the marauder. So I used slavers hoping I would get something good. Well I didn't get any contraband but I did get some EC and some med supplies.