Starfleet Veteran
# 141
10-19-2012, 11:27 AM
Really hoping they reconsider these changes. Heck, most people already pay for DOffs through DOff packages on the S-Store, through Zen or converted Dilithium. That's why throwing 5 of a lower tier to get one of a higher tier was discounted anyhow - because people are swimming in commons through DOff packs. it's sort of a double-dip with these new prices - pay for DOFFs, pay again fro better DOffs.

Certainly, you can run Recruitment missions for common DOffs, but PWE is still making money off of free DOffs when we up-convert them anyhow. Now they're just going to be replacing them wholesale with packs purchased for Dilithium? Classy; that's like a triple-dip. Now there will be zero sources of free DOffs outside of the handful you can pick up during missions :/

I'm not one to use rhetoric lightly, but this move just kinda smacks of greed. S7 seems to be excessively fully of Dilithium sinks: in addiiton to S6 starbases, now we'll have to pay dilithium for Rep-based rewards, pay more for Doffs... S7 is looking less and less appealing as teh Dilithium grind keeps going up. What good are ECs for now?

Either reduce the upgrade price to Season 6 levels, or give us better DOffs in the DOff packs out of the door.

I don't care how long you've been playing. I only care about how you play.
And remember to follow the rules.

Last edited by obsidiusrex; 10-19-2012 at 01:10 PM.
Captain
Just as a general note, folks, I've seen a lot of people bringing up Gene Roddenberry, the "spirit" of Star Trek, and what he'd want done.

While this may be an interesting question, it is not one for this thread. This thread is to point out a glaring problem that is likely to be coming down the pike and allows the devs to see the level of discontent that it would cause, and why. Even if they don't reply to it, they may at least be aware of it.

As such, this is a thread that I do not think we can allow to be derailed. If you want to talk about this it would be better done in a separate thread. Right now though, this is a potentially massive problem that the devs need to be made aware of immediately, which means it can't afford to be diluted or diverted. Thank you for your consideration on this point.
Captain
# 143
10-19-2012, 11:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by obsidiusrex View Post
Really hoping they reconsider these changes. Heck, most people already pay for DOffs through DOff packages on the S-Store, through Zen or converted Dilithium. That's why throwing 5 of a lower tier to get one of a higher tier was discounted anyhow - because people are swimming in commons through DOff packs. it's sort of a double-dip with these new prices - pay for DOFFs, pay again fro better DOffs.
Ironically this has made me start gathering up mission-based DOff packs in anticipation of this going south. Before I was pretty meh about it, but now, stockpile time.

Quote:
I'm not one to use rhetoric lightly, but this move just kinda smacks of greed. S7 seems to be excessively fully of Dilithium sinks: in addiiton to S6 starbases, now we'll have to pay dilithium for Rep-based rewards, pay more for Doffs... S7 is looking less and less appealing as teh Dilithium grind keeps going up. What good are ECs for now?

Either reduce the upgrade price to Season 6 levels, or give us better DOffs in the DOff packs out of the door.
Unlike most people, I don't hold EC's as useless, because they can do something that dil can't - often enough you can get EXACTLY WHAT YOU WANT with them. For instance, if I want to pick up a Hamlet Conn DOff, I can get it off the Exchange. It's up to chance and grinding otherwise.

This brings to light a new point - perhaps if PWE wants this kind of cash so badly, they might, instead of encouraging us to gamble, have us pay to get specific DOffs we want. Heck, we already do that with Lt. Ferra for rewards after the first one. I gladly paid up for my purple Security Officers so I could fill out my ground roster.
Captain
# 144
10-19-2012, 11:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by red01999 View Post
This brings to light a new point - perhaps if PWE wants this kind of cash so badly, they might, instead of encouraging us to gamble, have us pay to get specific DOffs we want.
Seconded. I wholeheartedly agree with this.
Career Officer
# 145
10-19-2012, 11:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirai222 View Post
I noticed the following dilithium costs on Tribble at the Personnel Officer:

General Recruitment (the basic DOff pack) - 1,000
Reassign Underperforming Officers (crunch 5 into 1 of the next higher quality)
Common - 500 (600 at race specific vendor)
Uncommon - 2500 (3000 at race specific vendor)
Rare - 5000 (6000 at race specific vendor)
Well that's just damn insane...

This will severely impair fleet starbase development if this goes live. What the hell is Cryptic thinking?
@HyperLimited
Career Officer
# 146
10-19-2012, 11:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypl View Post

This will severely impair fleet starbase development if this goes live. What the hell is Cryptic thinking?

I would say nothing.
T6 Miranda and T6 Oberth FTW!
Captain
# 147
10-19-2012, 11:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypl View Post

That's probably why they're doing it. Buying time by dragging out the starbase grind.
Career Officer
# 148
10-19-2012, 12:05 PM
Quote:
Honestly it's more than a double dip in the game at large, it's getting to the point in this game that any single item you end up with is double, triple or even quadruple taxed.

Quote:
I'm not one to use rhetoric lightly, but this move just kinda smacks of greed. S7 seems to be excessively fully of Dilithium sinks: in addiiton to S6 starbases, now we'll have to pay dilithium for Rep-based rewards, pay more for Doffs... S7 is looking less and less appealing as teh Dilithium grind keeps going up.
It's really dilithium taxes run wild.

As another poster said, items should require a time cost or payment cost, not both compounded on each other with layers of time costs and payment costs.

Lt. Commander
# 149
10-19-2012, 12:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by red01999 View Post
Is that an actual quote that you're citing, or a hypothetical one that you'd like to see posted?

I agree that the answers are DESPERATELY needed. I did some very crude math on how this would play out in terms of cash, and, well, let's just say I don't think anyone is going to be getting anything higher than a T2 base if this comes in and sticks.
Hypothetical. If it was real i'd provide a link to it.

For the record. I dont bring Gene Roddenberry up lightly. That's how upset i am over this.
Empire Veteran
# 150
10-19-2012, 12:16 PM
wow...sounds like the Cryptic is taking a note from the banking industry...
Introduce a neccesary commodity, DO recruitment needed for StarBases, then make that commodity more and more expensive, forcing most to work endlessly to stand a chance of survival or move to another place...like a game that doesn't endlessly sap your resources and your wallet and allows you just enjoy a game to escape the tribulations of reality.
And probably just like the banks have done, smile while they take your money and tell you that you like it that way.
Lord Krueg
KBF CO
We are the Dead
join date Aug 2008