Career Officer
# 71
10-19-2012, 02:26 PM
Whatever the case, I'm hoping the Omega Adapted MACO set gives Klingons a cool helmet.

And Omega Adapted Honor Guard gives Federation a cape. Preferably one with the Federation seal.

I will be sorely tempted if you guys do that to work up as super-hero-y a color scheme as I can and rename one of my characters "Captain Federation."
Captain
# 72
10-19-2012, 02:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontdrunkimshoot View Post
it doesn't just effect beams, your 2 single cannon test does not correctly show what happens when running a full cannon and turret setup, over caped energy helps here too
That's certainly true.

2x Cannons or 2x DHCs or 2x Turrets firing simultaneously drains weapons power quite visibly, even whenever weapons power is far "overcapped". 2x Beam arrays or DBBs do not. I'm prepared to accept that this behaviour might change whenever you start mixing multiple cannon types together, but the 2-weapon test is a very simple way to prove that the effect of >125 weapons power on cannons is demonstrably not identical to its effect on beams.

I actually tested a multiple Cannon setup as well (in which I found Cannons to be basically interchangable with Quads and Turrets), but I wasn't able to get a satisfactory readout going above ~4 cannons because of the lower activation time compared with Beams (2 secs for Cannons, compared to 4 secs for Beams). The problem is that by the time the last Cannon fires and reserve energy, the first cannon has finished firing and starts releasing energy again. DHCs (with their 1 second activation time) were even worse.

Performing another DPS test for multiple weapon setups (where the sample size for each weapon setup is large enough to average-out any "lucky" streaks) would have been the only way for me to properly try all the possible combinations out, and frankly I wasn't game for that kind of time investment... but if someone else wants to run their own tests in order to determine just how much excess energy above 125 "helps" those Cannon setups... or if a Dev examines the code and figures out what way the calculations are actually working under the hood, I'd certainly be interested to see the findings...

Oh, and I agree that overcapping affecting all energy weapons is fundamentally desirable. It makes Engineers (EPS) and Cruisers (EPTW) much more viable in a fight, without allowing DD'ers to ridiculously increase the achievable damage of any single shot...

[ <<<--- @Maelwys --->>> ]

Last edited by maelwy5; 10-19-2012 at 02:41 PM.
Empire Veteran
# 73
10-19-2012, 05:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maelwy5 View Post
That's certainly true.

2x Cannons or 2x DHCs or 2x Turrets firing simultaneously drains weapons power quite visibly, even whenever weapons power is far "overcapped". 2x Beam arrays or DBBs do not. I'm prepared to accept that this behaviour might change whenever you start mixing multiple cannon types together, but the 2-weapon test is a very simple way to prove that the effect of >125 weapons power on cannons is demonstrably not identical to its effect on beams.

I actually tested a multiple Cannon setup as well (in which I found Cannons to be basically interchangable with Quads and Turrets), but I wasn't able to get a satisfactory readout going above ~4 cannons because of the lower activation time compared with Beams (2 secs for Cannons, compared to 4 secs for Beams). The problem is that by the time the last Cannon fires and reserve energy, the first cannon has finished firing and starts releasing energy again. DHCs (with their 1 second activation time) were even worse.

Performing another DPS test for multiple weapon setups (where the sample size for each weapon setup is large enough to average-out any "lucky" streaks) would have been the only way for me to properly try all the possible combinations out, and frankly I wasn't game for that kind of time investment... but if someone else wants to run their own tests in order to determine just how much excess energy above 125 "helps" those Cannon setups... or if a Dev examines the code and figures out what way the calculations are actually working under the hood, I'd certainly be interested to see the findings...

Oh, and I agree that overcapping affecting all energy weapons is fundamentally desirable. It makes Engineers (EPS) and Cruisers (EPTW) much more viable in a fight, without allowing DD'ers to ridiculously increase the achievable damage of any single shot...
i can run 4 DHCs and 4 turrets and not drop below 100 weapons power most of the time with just pretty standard over capping.+10 from kdf cruiser, 5 from borg, 6 kill into weapons performance and potential, and EPtW1. just seeing my energy up that high has got to mean its helping, but im sure trying to get hard numbers with them would be quite difficult. with beam arrays, its all the same rate of fire and damage, much easier to get a base line for.
gateway links-->Norvo Tigan, Telis Latto Ruwon, Sochie Heim, Solana Soleus
Career Officer
# 74
08-12-2013, 06:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by borticuscryptic View Post
The Kinetic Cutting Beam will deal Kinetic Damage. And, just like torpedoes, this means it deals less damage against shielded targets, and more against exposed hull.

It will not benefit from any tactical consoles (even +Kinetic, as those are specifically designed for Torpedoes/Mines), but we've built in the appropriate damage modifiers so that the damage output is scaled for all players as if they had two consoles equipped of the appropriate energy type.
Which begs the question, does Plasmonic Leech work with it? Or is 'beam' just there in name?! ('beam' means it's gotta be an energy weapon of sorts, right?).
Career Officer
# 75
08-14-2013, 02:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by meimeitoo View Post
Which begs the question, does Plasmonic Leech work with it? Or is 'beam' just there in name?! ('beam' means it's gotta be an energy weapon of sorts, right?).
Well, if the Dev won't answer, any other takers?
Career Officer
# 76
09-15-2013, 06:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by meimeitoo View Post
Well, if the Dev won't answer, any other takers?
Mouseover the weapon in your tray with Leech equipped and read the tooltip :p