Empire Veteran
# 21
10-19-2012, 09:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by l3dz3p85 View Post
The people on the forums make up a very small minority of the playerbase.
Funny how you'd claim the forum minority is an innaccurate metric for measuring playerbase wishes when Cryptic never bothers to even poll online players. What are you comparing that metric to? I'm just curious.
=^= Starfleet Code Red Message =^= Starfleet intelligence's central network was compromised by an insidious ARC virus. All captains are to avoid contact with the ARC until we can ascertain how dangerous it is. All ships remain on high alert!
Empire Veteran
# 22
10-19-2012, 09:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by trek21 View Post
If the Romulans are added as playable, you guys should be lucky you're getting to play them at all

Sure it'd be nice to have a proper faction, but we all know they don't have the time or resources to make it happen; they have their hands full already

I for one though, welcome more content in this game, no matter the form (and yes that includes grind, as I don't hate or love it)
Yes, and no matter how large their team is, "they don't have the time or resources to make it happen." Where have I heard this before?
=^= Starfleet Code Red Message =^= Starfleet intelligence's central network was compromised by an insidious ARC virus. All captains are to avoid contact with the ARC until we can ascertain how dangerous it is. All ships remain on high alert!
Captain
# 23
10-19-2012, 09:38 PM
Aw come on. Now that we've parted the Mists of Romulus we can finally get at these space elves. Better yet they are OPEN TO BOTH FACTIONS.

Balance is coming. We should welcome it.

Lovely fluff piece for a blog post. Now if only it as an epic CGI video with voiceover.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. Comm. Pion
What should I wish upon the endless universe;
To be able to smile and forgive everything;
That's right, if we light up the dream in our hearts without averting our eyes;
We should be able to walk whatever tomorrow comes...

I am V. Adm. Kha Yuung, and I approve of this message.
Career Officer
# 24
10-19-2012, 09:42 PM
This may be the disappointment that finally drives me from the game. They floated this stupid idea about splitting up the Romulan empire and most people hated it. Now we have a dev blog saying it's the end of their political system. Their political system was what made them interesting.

Furthermore this is entirely out of character for Romulan norms. The Romulans believe that the strong should rule the weak. They challenge the federation because they appear weak (from the outside), then go away for a while when they are proven wrong by someone in a ship named Enterprise. They are too mindful of their own strength to ever allow anarchy.

This new plot line is the worst hack writing the trek universe has ever seen. If they go through with it I'll finally suspend all future purchases, even if that costs me my playable romulan. I've been buying ships and the like on the assumption that cryptic would finally come through on content. This will probably be the final wound to kill that idea.
-------------------
Nerfing is Fraud...

Last edited by picardcrusher; 10-19-2012 at 09:45 PM.
Empire Veteran
# 25
10-19-2012, 09:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by picardcrusher View Post
This may be the disappointment that finally drives me from the game. They floated this stupid idea about splitting up the Romulan empire and most people hated it. Now we have a dev blog saying it's the end of their political system. Their political system was what made them interesting.

Furthermore this is entirely out of character for Romulan norms. The Romulans believe that the strong should rule the weak. They challenge the federation because they appear weak (from the outside), then go away for a while when they are proven wrong by someone in a ship named Enterprise. They are too mindful of their own strength to ever allow anarchy.

This new plot line is the worst hack writing the trek universe has ever seen. If they go through with it I'll finally suspend all future purchases, even if that costs me my playable romulan. I've been buying ships and the like on the assumption that cryptic would finally come through on content. This will probably be the final wound to kill that idea.
You'd be surprised how sufficent hardship can change people's views/customs/etc... and let's not forget they didn't just change overnight, they've been dealing with this whole situation for quite awhile.

They may not like it (hell, they probably don't), but when you have no other choice, why let your old customs get you killed if the other choice means you can live?

Plus, you can't really call it a hack just because you don't like it. This is just the tip of the iceberg in what the Season 7 storyline will give us... there's plenty more that will explain things
Was named Trek17, but still an author.

Been playing STO since Open Beta, and have never regarded anything as worse than 'meh'.
Career Officer
# 26
10-19-2012, 10:03 PM
Quote:

This new plot line is the worst hack writing the trek universe has ever seen. If they go through with it I'll finally suspend all future purchases, even if that costs me my playable romulan.
Yes, this is disappointing, but remember that it wasn't Cryptic's decision to destroy Romulus, an event without which their political system would be as strong as ever, and none of the post-2387 Romulan backstory would have even been necessary to begin with. If you really need to pin blame on someone for this, blame J.J. Abrams first.
Ensign
# 27
10-19-2012, 11:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxfederatica View Post
Yes, this is disappointing, but remember that it wasn't Cryptic's decision to destroy Romulus, an event without which their political system would be as strong as ever, and none of the post-2387 Romulan backstory would have even been necessary to begin with. If you really need to pin blame on someone for this, blame J.J. Abrams first.

As much as I hate to posit a position, the idea of the Romulan Star Empire splitting, contrary to my personal wishes, actually makes a great deal of sense. When struck with force sufficient to render shockwaves, the *Roman* empire easily fell into Civil War and factioning. The idea that the Romulans would do similarly isn't difficult to believe, just unfortunate.
Captain
# 28
10-19-2012, 11:36 PM
Quote:
This new plot line is the worst hack writing the trek universe has ever seen.
Not sure if it's the worst , I dropped buying ST books because of the amateurish writing/editing (mostly editing as an editor can demand more from a writer) .

But yeah , in STO they have managed to turn the RSE into Deferi .
Romulans = DEFERI .

Try to swallow that one .
Now try again . I know it's hard .
Empire Veteran
# 29
10-19-2012, 11:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by caemgen View Post
As much as I hate to posit a position, the idea of the Romulan Star Empire splitting, contrary to my personal wishes, actually makes a great deal of sense. When struck with force sufficient to render shockwaves, the *Roman* empire easily fell into Civil War and factioning. The idea that the Romulans would do similarly isn't difficult to believe, just unfortunate.
They have always been split. Its just that the backstory on this is that they are in desperate times just as the KDF was with the explosion of praxis. Its just a Romulan turning point in their affairs in the quadrant to begin story on that.
Captain
# 30
10-20-2012, 01:13 AM
Well this storyline makes one thing clear. Unless Sela returns with a huge Iconian fleet to reunite the Romulan Empire by force there will never be a playable Romulan faction!

And I think the real reason for it is money. If the Romulans were to be made a playable faction it would have to be free, with at least one free ship per rank. But if it's just gonna be an unlockable race for Feds and Klings you will have to pay for playing them. And you will probably have to open a lot of lockboxes to get their ships. Furthermore making the Romulans just a subfaction needs a lot less time and effort to implement.

I still hope for a full Romulan faction but I'm a lot more pessimistic now.