Career Officer
# 21
10-19-2012, 11:21 PM
So , wanting to make sure I am reading it correctly before I have an opinion.

I will get to keep the gear I have earned.
But I will be starting at an effective zero'd starting point with everyone else so far as reputation goes ?
I will be paying the same as everyone else to purchase gear, etc ? With the new marks I earn ? Whether the cost be in dilithium or whatever.

at least this sounds like what I am reading.
Sorry haven't been on tribble to see for myself what it is all about.
Been too busy learning the Foundry.

If indeed what I reading is what I laid out .
I have no problem with this.
No problem whatsoever.

I am probably reading it wrong, or looking at it too simply.
Please help a simple hippie understand why this is bad ?
"... I really don't care if you try to make money, Cryptic. I do care when you have to insult my intelligence by saying it isn't about money, and use a hot button issue like 'content quality' in order to push that narrative." -Iconians
Starfleet Veteran
# 22
10-19-2012, 11:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by badname834854 View Post
this is unacceptable. And rude. And greedy. And lazy. And short-sighted.

Sorry to be blunt but that pretty much sums up borticus, wish i could have something more constructive to put here but all the changes I see with season 7 is making planetside 2 look better and better
Lieutenant
# 23
10-19-2012, 11:56 PM
I don't see this being an issue for anyone that's already gone as far as they desire with acquiring MACO/Omega/Klingon Honor Guard gear. I saw mention of DOffs for Omega rep earlier in the thread. Nifty, another thing to aim for.

Aside from those things, what would you gain from having reputation with Omega? Why does it matter being grandfathered in? Why aren't we being grandfathered in?

I can understand both sides of it. You're not getting a buncha rep off the bat if you've done the STF's over a-bajillion times so you have something to work towards, but why not get grandfathered in anyway for those that have done the STF's a bunch since there's no competitive mechanic involved with any of it?
Just can't let go of the Excelsior...
Captain
# 24
10-20-2012, 04:41 AM
Quote:
I'm not saying Tier 5 rep but howabout half a tier's worth of rep for owning each Mk X, half for owning each Mk XI, and half for owning each Mk XII.
Rewarding people with reputation for their sets would be implying that they had to grind and invest an equal amount time to get them. I have a character who has run hundreds of space STFs, still hasn't seen a single Mk XII-token drop and is still using Mk. XI gear. My latest Klingon character is level 46 has run 6 normal STFs, gotten lucky and is using the 3-piece Mk.XI Honor Guard set now.

There is a huge difference in the amount of work both characters have put into the game, yet both would be rewarded the same amount reputation in the system you are suggesting.
Captain
# 25
10-20-2012, 05:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hippiejon View Post
So , wanting to make sure I am reading it correctly before I have an opinion.

I will get to keep the gear I have earned.

But I will be starting at an effective zero'd starting point with everyone else so far as reputation goes ?
Yes and yes .

Quote:
I will be paying the same as everyone else to purchase gear, etc ? With the new marks I earn ? Whether the cost be in dilithium or whatever.
Here are the current layout of the costs involved :

A full set of Mk XII Gear costs 3000 Marks, 15 Elite Marks, and ~100,000 Dilithium.

Attaining Tier 5 in Omega Rep costs 1,686 Marks, 0 Elite Marks, and ~80,000 Dilithium.

Source :

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...&postcount=310

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjcfoxtrot View Post
I don't see this being an issue for anyone that's already gone as far as they desire with acquiring MACO/Omega/Klingon Honor Guard gear. I saw mention of DOffs for Omega rep earlier in the thread. Nifty, another thing to aim for.
On the surface that's what it look like .
Beneath the surface they added another Dill sink while removing the old STF store which gives equivalent but cheaper gear then fleet/STF gear .
You want middle road end game gear ? Now it'll cost you Dill ... no matter if you buy it or craft it .
Career Officer
# 26
10-20-2012, 05:37 AM
So ...
I will be starting at the same point as everyone else
I will be paying the same amount as everyone else (dil cost)
and I get to keep the gear I have

Yup.
I have no problems with this whatsoever.

The game has a new Dil sink ... oh darn.
Life goes on.

Dev said this is non - negotiable.
Looks like that means we can either suck up and deal, or go find some other game.
Doubtless there will be dozens of threads about this when it goes live.

Now I know to avoid them.
"... I really don't care if you try to make money, Cryptic. I do care when you have to insult my intelligence by saying it isn't about money, and use a hot button issue like 'content quality' in order to push that narrative." -Iconians
Empire Veteran
# 27
10-20-2012, 06:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoleviathan99 View Post
You'd be better off spending your EDCs on dilithium now or not spending them and letting them convert (not spending them is your best bet). Spending them on gear is a waste because that progress won't be recognized.
It's definitely not a waste since the old STF weapon stuff will cost 14k dil per unit now. So if you want an alternative set of weapons you should get it right now, as long as it's almost free.

Having to play again some more STFs isn't a concern to me. I like them and it won't take that long to hit the new tier 5 reputation, so I don't mind. My main concern is the fact that they charge for old stuff we could have for a very reasonable price with in game items. That was loots. Now it's a store. And I don't see the point of playing a game where you get endgame stuff only if you pay the price. Where's the pride to get endgame gear if you just bought it with some vague time caps and number of mission runs?

Last edited by diogene0; 10-20-2012 at 06:47 AM.
Career Officer
# 28
10-20-2012, 06:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjcfoxtrot View Post

Aside from those things, what would you gain from having reputation with Omega? Why does it matter being grandfathered in? Why aren't we being grandfathered in?

I can understand both sides of it. You're not getting a buncha rep off the bat if you've done the STF's over a-bajillion times so you have something to work towards, but why not get grandfathered in anyway for those that have done the STF's a bunch since there's no competitive mechanic involved with any of it?
They're not DOffs. They're the new bonus powers. I was trying to explain them.

You get one per tier for rep.

Tier 1 ground, Tier 2 space, etc.

They're scaled a bit above a purple DOff -- it's almost like a legendary quality DOff roster power. You choose from one of two. No respec available at S7 launch but they will sell one later. The final reward is an active power.

These will impact PvP. They'll also definitely impact ground PvE since between the two reps, you're looking at the tools needed to become a regen tank.

I just think it seems cruddy.

I can maybe see Jeremy's point IF he's right about the rep costing less than each piece of gear.

It just seems Cryptic never genuflects for early adopters. And good companies DO and good service providers do. I stood by them on lifergate but "what have you done for me lately?" is offensively the wrong attitude for a company to take when they sell virtual goods that have the illusion of permanence for real money.
Career Officer
# 29
10-20-2012, 06:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by diogene0 View Post
It's definitely not a waste since the old STF weapon stuff will cost 14k dil per unit now. So if you want an alternative set of weapons you should get it right now, as long as it's almost free.

Having to play again some more STFs isn't a concern to me. I like them and it won't take that long to hit the new tier 5 reputation, so I don't mind. My main concern is the fact that they charge for old stuff we could have for a very reasonable price with in game items. That was loots. Now it's a store. And I don't see the point of playing a game where you get endgame stuff only if you pay the price. Where's the pride to get endgame gear if you just bought it with some vague time caps and number of mission runs?
You sound like an EQ or vanilla WoW player.

Stores are the direction everyone went, in part because the pride you describe has minimal value to most folks. Nobody really respects it among playerbases and the people who do aren't a large enough demo to build an MMO around.
Empire Veteran
# 30
10-20-2012, 07:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoleviathan99 View Post
You sound like an EQ or vanilla WoW player.

Stores are the direction everyone went, in part because the pride you describe has minimal value to most folks. Nobody really respects it among playerbases and the people who do aren't a large enough demo to build an MMO around.
I never played WoW, but I do enjoy playing game for casual feelings of achievement. I'm proud of what I did, I don't expect respect for anything, but I think you underestimate the impact that some accolade can have on many player's behaviour. When they see my maco elite/omega shadow/ elite honor guard chars, I know some will listen to me when i say them not to do something. Anyway.

I like challenges. I got every single lockbox ships without buying any master key with real money (I bought some with dil and my stipend but that's it). That's an achievement I'm proud of ; I got my two main chars with the best possible gear ; I'm proud of this achievement. A store where you can just use your wallet to get stuff has very little value to me. What did I achieve? Nothing.

Anyway, again it's a secondary concern. My main one is that I feel a bit betrayed since cryptic changes the rules all the time and since they pull of the toys we can currently get for loots to put them into a useless store just because they don't want to create decent new content to open new dil stores (something I'm ok with since it's not changing the rules, it's new stuff).