Commander
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 471
# 1 changing things up
10-19-2012, 07:54 PM
Hello all.

Ive been flying my sabre for a while now in STFs and its getting a little boring so I thought I'd change it a little.

Currently I use:

4x Plasma DC
1x Plasma Turret
2x Tricobalt Mine Launchers (30 sec shared CD)

with C:RF II, AP:B III and DP:B II (all have 30 sec CD check out that synergy)

It does well. I like critting cubes/probes/generators for 300k+


Been thinking though I might get more burst out of this:

3x Plasma DC
1x Plasma DBB
1x Plasma Turret
2x Tricobalt Mine Launcher

with C:RF II, AP:B I, B:O III, DP:B III
or C:RF I, AP:O I, B:O III, DP:B III (not great cos AP:O has 45 sec CD not 30 like everything else)

It seems like in theory Attack Pattern Omega I + Beam Overload III + Dispersal Pattern Beta III could put out some serious damage.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,141
# 2
10-19-2012, 08:22 PM
Not sure if you just used wrong abbreviation but those cannons are Dual Heavy Cannons (DHC) and not dual cannons (DC) right? The duals do much less crit damage and due to longer firing time take your power levels take longer to recharge leading to less DPS.



Instead of dual beam bank and beam overload which is great in PVP for burst damage but not so good in pve because of huge NPC hitpoints and power drain lowering your dps afterwards use a torpedo instead with torpedo high yield.

There are many targets in STF with huge hitpoints and no shields like gates and transformers, and even NPC with shields lose shield facings quick so torpedos really increase DPS a lot in STFs. I notice over 2k increase in DPS myself when comparing a build with 4 DHC versus a 3 DHC 1 torp build. Quantum is usually best for STF.

Also there a lots of times when scatter volley and torpedo spread are better, running at least 1 copy of each will help you quickly dispatch groups of birds of prey in cure or probes in khitomer.

tricobalt mines are great, keep using those, but if you try dispersal pattern beta 3 you can do even more massive damage so you may want to experiment with that.
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,977
# 3
10-20-2012, 02:24 AM
I looked at the specs and the DPS is as near as makes no difference, that and running both on the patrol escort it prettier (in my opinion) I disagree with running a 30 second shared cd anywhere, you can do a fair bit of damage in those 30 seconds, try playing with projectile doffs, they affect tricobalts.

As for what I would do in your position

2 DHC, 1 DC, 1 BA (Yes, Beam Array)
1 Tricobalt mine, 1 turret. 1 BA

Now the reasoning behind he Beam arrays, I use them partly for PvP arenas, gives me the advantage when our turn rates are the same, it also gives you some good figures when you turn away or towards anything, combine them with FAW I (anything higher is a waste of something more you use more frequently) and you can use them as point defence of sorts.
Commander
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 471
# 4
10-20-2012, 03:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc8219 View Post
Not sure if you just used wrong abbreviation but those cannons are Dual Heavy Cannons (DHC) and not dual cannons (DC) right? The duals do much less crit damage and due to longer firing time take your power levels take longer to recharge leading to less DPS.
The debate of DHC vs DC always comes down to higher burst and slight energy efficiency vs constant damage and increased proc chance.

We all know 4x DHC and 3x Turrets give you slightly better dps in practice than 4x DC and 3x Turret because the DHCs only fire half as often as the Turrets. But I'm not running 3 turrrets am I? As a result when using DHCs I found I got 1 volley with rather low power levels (-44) and 1 volley of 1 Turret (which does rubbish dps anyway). With DCs I get consistant volleys at -38 power. I wagered this setup would be better for damage and it is.

In summary: 4x Cannons 3x Turrets Use DHCs. 4x Cannons 1x Turret Use DCs. (Plus, you know, Plasma proc and borg proc favor DCs over DHCs anyway so its win-win)

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc8219 View Post
Instead of dual beam bank and beam overload which is great in PVP for burst damage but not so good in pve because of huge NPC hitpoints and power drain lowering your dps afterwards use a torpedo instead with torpedo high yield.

There are many targets in STF with huge hitpoints and no shields like gates and transformers, and even NPC with shields lose shield facings quick so torpedos really increase DPS a lot in STFs. I notice over 2k increase in DPS myself when comparing a build with 4 DHC versus a 3 DHC 1 torp build. Quantum is usually best for STF.

Also there a lots of times when scatter volley and torpedo spread are better, running at least 1 copy of each will help you quickly dispatch groups of birds of prey in cure or probes in khitomer.

tricobalt mines are great, keep using those, but if you try dispersal pattern beta 3 you can do even more massive damage so you may want to experiment with that.
I'll think about using a torp launcher instead. Thing is I have no room in my Doff setup for projectile doffs and only really room in my BO layout for 1 ability. For things like birds of prey and raptors in The Cure I already take out entire spawns with my mines so I dont need torpedo spread for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamkafei View Post
I looked at the specs and the DPS is as near as makes no difference, that and running both on the patrol escort it prettier (in my opinion) I disagree with running a 30 second shared cd anywhere, you can do a fair bit of damage in those 30 seconds, try playing with projectile doffs, they affect tricobalts.
I disagree with your disagreeing The dps of 2 turrets over 30 seconds, even with C:RF, is nothing compared to the dps of 2 Tricobalt mine launchers. A BAD set of mines for me only does 150k damage every 30 seconds with a GOOD set doing twice that. Even 150k is 5k dps. Thats 2.5k dps from each mine launcher, a lot more than you will ever get out of a turret especially if you factor in power drain for those 2 turrets and how it effects all your other weapons.

As for projectile doffs, until we finally get a MINE augmenting doff (please please please make it reduce activation time but i'd be happy with increased agro range) even if I ran the torpedo ones with tricobalt torpedos there no little point in getting -8 seconds off a 60 second cooldown especially when you run 2 with a 30 sec shared CD.

Thanks for responding guys.

Last edited by seekerkorhil; 10-20-2012 at 03:31 AM.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:31 PM.