Captain
# 31
10-20-2012, 07:15 AM
Wait what

5 tiers of passive buffs and 1 actual ability with zero new visuals on the same stf maps ?

What about the romulan zone or reputation and their rewards
Career Officer
# 32
10-20-2012, 07:28 AM
So here's the deal for me:

I have maybe two service issues with business firms a year typically. This past week, I had a spike of them, all together.

I went to vote. They had my address wrong. They say, "Go ahead and vote. We'll fix it."

I went to return curtains to the department store after I'd bought too many. I hesitated at the door because they didn't have anyone to mark it with a sticker showing that it was paid for merchandise. I had an employee say, "Come on in and take it to the service desk. We trust you." I took the curtains in and got a refund.

I had an ISP outage that lasted two hours. They said, "Huh. There is an outage in your area. We'll text you when service is restored and give you the month free." I never asked for a credit. I just asked if they knew of an outage.

I have a rewards card with a national coffee chain. The employees were not sure how to redeem my free drink at the local university. They said, "They should honor the deal. We'll make sure they have adequate training materials. Take a $15 credit for your troubles, on us." I never asked for a credit. I just asked how I should redeem my free coffee.

I have an artist working on a comic book. His wife is recovering from brain surgery and he doesn't have a lot of money but his workload is spiking up and he's been knocking out the easy stuff first. He has done basic work for four pages. He said, "It will be the end of November before I can do this. I've missed two deadlines. I can give you a full refund." Not prorated or anything. Full refund. I said, "I think you're worth the time. If you want out because you're not enthusiastic, I'll take the refund. If you want to do this, take another month." And he said, "Thank you. I'll have it done."

I login to Tribble to test rewards. Jeremy is in chat. I get told that my progress doesn't count and that I'll only get credit for unspent currency (which I should since it's unspent). I get told that I'll have to spend the same Dilithium and DOffs as everyone else and that my progress is reset but that it's okay because the system is fine for new players. I get told that the whole thing "has been decided" and "is non-negotiable."

And I think, "Man. I know the coffee business and I know they operate on a tight margin. And they gave me $15 I didn't ask for because I had a question. And I come here with a concern about my status collecting pixels and my concerns get dismissed as 'non-negotiable.'"

And then I think, "This is exactly the kind of business approach Jack Emmert is always complaining about with other companies. Gaming and otherwise. Does Jeremy know what he's talking about? Did he have the same conversation with his boss? Is he playing goalie between me and customer service? Is this a system he's proud of and unwilling to compromise on because that's generally a bad sign for a game designer's career? Is somebody forcing his hand because I think he'd play devil's advocate on this point if he were hosting STOked? This all seems pretty undiplomatic."

And Cryptic was the sore thumb that stood out, out of a week of service incidents. And it stood out for me as a pattern of behavior.
Career Officer
# 33
10-20-2012, 07:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vestereng View Post
Wait what

5 tiers of passive buffs and 1 actual ability with zero new visuals on the same stf maps ?

What about the romulan zone or reputation and their rewards
Check it out on Tribble.

It's 4 passives (you choose 4 of 8) and 1 active. It's gear sets. (In the case of Romulan rep the Reman space set.) It's consumables to summon Romulan security teams of increasing quality. And the big cosmetic prize are vanity pets that summon a swarm of Romulans or Remans as non-combat pets, so you can have 5 or so Romulans following you whenever you're out of combat. And then it's things like Romulan pistols and the old Borg weapons from both the vendors and Defera, available up through Mk XII. All of which must be bought. Oh, and the costumes are now a project which costs in addition to requiring the gear to be owned.

The passives are good. They're the equivalent of having an extra purple DOff on active duty and then some, with practical boosts like +30 weapons training +20% chance of knockback on crit for melee weapons or small amounts of always on shield or health regen. Every tier is a choice between survival and damage.

I think it's worthwhile from a ground up, new player perspective. It's just a badly thought out transition. Maybe Cryptic needs a floating core team member who goes between games, smoothing transitions.
Republic Veteran
# 34
10-20-2012, 07:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoleviathan99 View Post

I have maybe two service issues with business firms a year typically. This past week, I had a spike of them, all together.

*snip*

Difference is human interaction.

Devs, producers and their bosses sit in little padded boxes or nice offices watching status metrics go by. They read the forums, it's just text.

They interact with words on the TTS channel. Its just words.

These people are for the most part isolated from the customer base. They don't feel our emotion they don't see our anger, they can't hear our frustration.

That is why they refuse to negotiate... it's just words on a screen. No emotional impact.

I don't have a solution, sadly. Youtube videos? Personal visits to Cryptic? Really don't know.

Until they connect with their customers and realize this is not what we want and that unilateral decisions that reset years of progress are very frustrating... we can expect more of the same.
-------------
ISE ISE Ba-bee. "If you got the Borg yo... I'll solve 'em check out this shot while my torpedos dissolve 'em"
Captain
# 35
10-20-2012, 07:52 AM
I have no idea how to go on tribble, would I have to level a character there first ?

So there is no new omega or romulan armor visuals ?

Pretty much everything you mentioned I could care less about :/

Consumables and pets no thanks. Passives don't come with animation or sound so it's just changing a number around in the script budget coding.

And beaming down security personal is hardly new, is there really nothing else there ? Come on that can't be all of season 7.

One of the best items I have is actually the flashlight, no cooldown and it gives out a nice visual and sort of "aliens" feel to the game, I only wish I could mod my weapons sound effects.
That's kind of the stuff I was hoping for, animations and sounds instead of empty stats :/

/edit

Accessing the server

Be aware that your hard-drive needs to have enough space to accommodate another copy of STO. "

Count me out
Career Officer
# 36
10-20-2012, 08:00 AM
Welcome to the new sto. Your friendly Asian grind game has taken over.
Divine Protectorate Gaming
STO Beta Tester and Original Cryptic user
Career Officer
# 37
10-20-2012, 08:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by themarie View Post
Difference is human interaction.
...snip...
Until they connect with their customers and realize this is not what we want and that unilateral decisions that reset years of progress are very frustrating... we can expect more of the same.
I can feel that. Frankly, I like a lot of the devs but I think about half I've spoken to privately generally agree with me (and some were backing me to apply at Cryptic; two even made sure I got an interview when my paperwork got scrambled) and half seem to find me annoying as heck and you can hear them sigh when they mention my name. (One unfriended me on facebook after a forum post.) Funny thing is, it's almost ALL text.

I know it does drive me crazy when I'm on the Podcast UGC livestream though because I think it took Hav and Terilynn awhile to "get" me from my text. My impression is that Jeremy never quite did when I'd hang out in the STOked livestream.

It reminds me of what it was like when I'd meet online gaming friends at Comic-Con or start talking to people on Vent. I always get this hesitation, like, "Wow. You're a lot more normal than I thought." They actually would say that at Comic-Con. I think everybody online must think I'm a 300 pound albino with cat ears when I'm more like very young Stephen Spielberg-level normal (I get him and young Einstein in those facial profilers that match your lookalike), who just gets really passionate about weird things like comics, sci-fi, game design, and customer service.

And the customer service is something that was drilled into me. I don't make a big secret out of having Asperger's Syndrome. Lots of famous people like Dan Aykroyd and Spielberg have been diagnosed. I would be surprised if it wasn't common at most silicon valley companies, the bay area and Cryptic included. Sometimes the way they respond reminds me of ways I'd respond to service incidents over the years. And a voice fires off in my brain: my dad's. He says, "I know why you feel that way. I'm big on consistency too. But that's your Asperger's talking. Reality is not what matters. It isn't about blame. What matters is whether the customer feels good. That's the real product in any business."

And I believe that and want to preach that.

It isn't "gimme gimme gimme" for me. It's a quasi-religious dedication to that idea that the customer should feel good. I don't always live up to it but I still preach, to bosses and to co-workers and to friends. And to companies providing me with a service if I have to even though my dad's voice in my head also tells me that if I have to preach that, I shouldn't be doing business with someone in the first place.

And that's how my dad lives. He'd quit any company that didn't believe in that. And he's cut off any business that won't say so much as "I'm sorry" when their product or service goes wrong. It happened with his cell phone servicer last month when they botched a repair.

In this case, as I pointed out, he could have gotten a free replacement phone from them. He told me, "It's not about getting something. It's about not being valued. All I wanted was an apology and they didn't even ask me my name. I don't want anything free out of them now because that would mean doing business with them. I wouldn't do business with someone even if it was free if they didn't make me feel valued."

And that kind of thing haunts me sometimes when I play MMOs, Cryptic's in particular.
Empire Veteran
# 38
10-20-2012, 08:37 AM
Quote:

-snip-
Another example: I got the equivalent of two years of in game rewards for another game I beta tested. Every beta tester recieved that compensation.
Captain
# 39
10-20-2012, 08:38 AM
Quote:
I had an ISP outage that lasted two hours. They said, "Huh. There is an outage in your area. We'll text you when service is restored and give you the month free." I never asked for a credit. I just asked if they knew of an outage.
I am going to call BS on this one. Due to a strange quirk of fate my household has 3 ISPs. When my Comcast was down for 5 days all I received was a $5.00 credit on my bill; which did not even equate to 5 days of outage. When my U-verse was down for 7 hours I never received any credit at all. When my dial-up ISP went down they actually tried to charge me extra to fix it.

I would love to know what ISP you are dealing with. They might just become my 4th based on giving away a free month for a 2-hour outage.
Captain
# 40
10-20-2012, 08:48 AM
I appreciate the emotional enthusiasm, which is not chracteristic of autism, and the story but what about those season 7 visuals ?

No new omega visuals, no new romulan armor or uniform ?