Captain
# 71
10-20-2012, 10:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by allocater View Post
Comparing 100 STF pre and post is a very good idea to get the feeling and the math of this system.

I play 100 STFs before. I get showered with cool stuff, EDCs, occasionally rare salvage, if I am lucky, epic salvage. If I am super lucky the ultimate drop (epic set). In addition I get blue random equip from optionals, again with a chances the get additional EDC, salvage. And as bonus I even get dilithium I can spend on other parts of the game. Even better, the excess salvage can be converted into dilithium to even get more currency for other parts oif the game. In short playing STFs is awesome! It gives you advanced gear, the best gear and bonus dilithium for other parts of the game. Or even DOFFs. I like playing my daily STF or even 2 or 3. It feels rewarding.
Yes I might not get the super XII set drop, but I an not really out for it, for space I have it anyway.

Now the new system:
-----crickets----- You play the STF and there are 15 Omega marks. :-( ok. Well what can I do. Put them into a project that takes 2 days waiting time.... ---crickets---... ok what happens if I do that long enough? I can buy stuff with dilithium....

So instead of being an awesome rewarding STF that spills out rewards and spills out rewards into other parts of the game, we get a system that sucks in stuff! (dilithium, that I have to get by buying or grinding other things).

Just doesn't feel right.

What would make it feel better, is if I get Omega Marks with which I can buy or unlock things. You know like EDC already are! Add tiers and reputation to unlock, perfect.

The conversion to the new system as it is just feels like an excuse to suck in dilithium.

So much for the feel.

Now the math: (coming when we have the data)
That's indeed pretty much it.

For playing STFs now, you're guaranteed to get dilithium, EDCs and something more on top of it (usually a pretty crappy Mk XI console or whatever, but still). With a chance for something more (that can be converted to dil, if you don't need it).

With this change you still get the dil and then omega marks you can spend to unlock dilitium stores, and there, you go spend all that dil.

And remind me, why would you actually want to buy any of the (as of now) STF loot?
Well, I'll tell you. To get an edge at playing STFs...

Under the planned system, there just seems to be no added benefit, like there is now. I play STFs to get dilithium and loot (I can sell or use). And as a byproduct I get some salvage and techs which makes playing those STFs and thus getting dil and loot easier.

So in my book. The STF system is getting much, much worse.
TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix: Bring in the Allegiance class
Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia: Design that long overdue Tier 5 C-Store Raptor
Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var: Give us Asylums for Romulans

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
Career Officer
# 72
10-20-2012, 01:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by philipag View Post
As for MK XII, the harder they are to get the more they are worth having.
Well said... I am personally glad that the "luck" factor is out of the STF. How many have completed 200-300 missions without complete sets?

Now there is a set goal... you know when you'll reach it... not have to rely o nthe roll of the dice.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------Star Trek Online, Now with out the Trek....
Starfleet Veteran
# 73
10-20-2012, 01:59 PM
We can play STFs?

I've been stuck in Infected Space que for half an hour?
If your post is anything like, "I have a sandwich so you can't be starving" it's time to rethink posting.
Lt. Commander
# 74
10-20-2012, 02:14 PM
And one more thing:

Just the act of converting an EDC/salvage/token into the equipment you want feels like: "Yes, I am getting my reward. I am turning this stuff in for the reward. I am cashing in (or out)? I have a net benefit. I am being rewarded."

Buying the equip you want with dilithium feels like: "I am paying and I am getting something, I lose something and I gain something. It's a trade-off. I could have gotten something else with that dilithium. Why am I paying here? Did I not earn it with beating STFs? Was it all for nothing? Maybe I shouldn't have. What am I doing?"

A little exaggerated, but anyways
Captain
# 75
10-20-2012, 02:17 PM
LOL. Well this won't hurt me since I have all the MK XII space and ground sets that I want for each of my 6 characters and all the Mk XII [Borg] weapons I need. Sucks if you have 2/3 of Mk XII ground set and can't get the last piece to drop before s7 goes live.

At least fully geared players will be more rare so will be more important for fleets to have and keep the ones they have now.
Career Officer
# 76
10-20-2012, 02:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by weylandjuarez View Post
So if I get this straight, reputation (which we earn from STFs, missions etc.) unlocks items which we can then buy with Dilithium?

Which means that any credit we get from our EDCs, Proto Tech etc. only gets converted to reputation? Which means even if we max out the reputation system we still have to pay for gear?

So basically you're making us grind missions to unlock an elaborate shop-front to buy gear from?

*speechless*
Yes....a shop front for gear that already exists for a fraction of its future cost. Yeah for re-warmed content! Why make new stuff when you can repackage old stuff at a higher price!!!

I think the sticking point for many is that Dilithium is being added as an input where it hasn't been before...and shouldn't be.
Lt. Commander
# 77
10-20-2012, 02:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by philipag View Post
If 15 elite runs in S7 is enough Omega marks for a full set that is WAY too low, agreed.
The faster a person is able to get the Marks they need, the more likely a player will be to complete their set by BUYING the dilithium, using Zen.
Career Officer
# 78
10-20-2012, 03:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by badname834854 View Post
Yes....a shop front for gear that already exists for a fraction of its future cost. Yeah for re-warmed content! Why make new stuff when you can repackage old stuff at a higher price!!!

I think the sticking point for many is that Dilithium is being added as an input where it hasn't been before...and shouldn't be.
Oh I dont know about a higher price... considering the number of times you had to run STF's in the past to complete sets.

If the current project costs are any indication and remain stead, then as stated 15 Elite STF's will get you enough Dilithium and Omega marks to complete the reputation system for the Omega Task Force (which seems low)... which based on times of current projects would take just over 2 weeks. Which also gives you 15 banked Elite Omega marks (enough to buy a 3 piece set (excluding dilithium which would be about 90k (another 82 STF's of your choosing).

So... about 100 STF's get a full mk xii set... less actually, since you can convert some of the Omega Marks you earned in the STF's ran to build dilithium...

Honestly, seems a like less to me... certainly faster.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------Star Trek Online, Now with out the Trek....
Career Officer
# 79
10-20-2012, 05:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny111971 View Post
If the current project costs are any indication and remain stead, then as stated 15 Elite STF's will get you enough Dilithium and Omega marks to complete the reputation system for the Omega Task Force (which seems low)... which based on times of current projects would take just over 2 weeks. Which also gives you 15 banked Elite Omega marks (enough to buy a 3 piece set (excluding dilithium which would be about 90k (another 82 STF's of your choosing).

So... about 100 STF's get a full mk xii set... less actually, since you can convert some of the Omega Marks you earned in the STF's ran to build dilithium...

Honestly, seems a like less to me... certainly faster.
Yes, faster. And for those of us with limited time to play, a much more reasonable thing to ask of us. 2 weeks for a garunteed payout is awesome, considering I've been chasing a MK 12 ground set for MONTHS with no luck. Please Cryptic Devs, if you're listening, keep the costs reasonable like this.
Career Officer
# 80
10-20-2012, 11:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by borticuscryptic View Post
It's not nice to jump to conclusions and spread misinformation...

The Dilithium cost of gear gained via the Reputation system will be cheaper than similar Dilithium gear by at least 5%. You will also be able to obtain Mk XII gear that cannot currently be purchased using Dilithium.
But we are often left to speculate, or go by history, so heres my "anecdotal speculation and scuse me ;-P, never in the history of my mmo gaming career, some 14 odds year, (leave the comments cause thats a whole other box of worms) and including Cryptics, have I ever seen or had a conversion where the players where GENERALLY happy.