Lt. Commander
I've been away since about March and April, and before that I hadn't played since last Octoberish. Every time I come back I find myself getting very frustrated (perhaps more than I should) with this game. I subbed to this game for so long with high hopes that it would get better, I thought there was tremendous potential even though there was a lot of nay sayers about the first few updates I can honestly say the last thing that was added to this game that I thought was great was the ground combat change - That's it.

I thought this game was beginning to look bright around that time, finally we were getting an update to ground combat, KDF content was beginning to seem like a good possibility and then you guys went to F2P...

I remember the days when I would look FORWARD to the upcoming Season, now I get nervous about what else is going to have a price tag (or a stupendous amount of grinding) attached to it. STFs with random drops. Fleet Star bases seemed like a decent idea but it turned out exactly like I expected - A worthless grind fest.

Every time I'm about to log back in for the first time in months I get excited because I love the game play, I love the missions, but then I actually log in and remember "OH yeah, there's nothing to do but grind for dilithium anymore". I personally thought crafting was finally made decent... But then you guys attached dilithium to it... As if getting the rare samples weren't enough...

The most frustrating part? Is before when you guys did something that I didn't agree with I could point it out and at least ponder a few solutions - Now it's just such a huge mess that I'm not even sure where to begin.

I used have this view of Cryptic as a rag tag team of underground developers who were passionate about what they did, and even though they had a skeleton crew they'd try to pump out some really cool stuff (ground combat, Featured Episodes, foundry, etc. etc. etc.) But now I just feel like it's ran by my local used car salesman. Everywhere I look in this game it evolves around either dilithium or lock boxes.

I'm sure it's not really the Devs fault but more PWE, but I've never felt so negative about this game. I just feel it's a huge mess and it's just getting worse.

I apologize for all the complaining and negativity but this is just how I feel, I feel like I've been slapped in the face after all the time and money I've invested before this went f2p.
Lt. Commander
# 2
10-21-2012, 01:34 AM
I also want to add that I absolutely HATE the random drop idea with STFs. I don't like the idea of "play this mission until completely hate it and puke every time you even hear the name before you can get high end gear". What happened to the simple idea of being rewarded for being successful in a mission rather than "Awesome, that mission went smooth... Now after playing that for the 234,562,789th time HOPEFULLY I get the drop I've been waiting for".

You guys add things that NOBODY asked for, that NOBODY wants - Why would you think a reward system like that would work well? Money? There's not dilithium involved to play these missions so it can't be that. Is it for the sole purpose of driving us to the point of insanity? Is it a marketing move in hopes that we'll go crazy from the repetitive play that we'll start forking over money for stupid things?

Ugh... Anyways, apologies again, I just had to vent.
Career Officer
# 3
10-21-2012, 01:41 AM
Just wait till season 7 hits... There'll be a whole nother type of grindfest to keep you occupied too.
Fancy an exclusive, extended 21 day trial of eve online?
Sign up (heck, it's free for almost a full month, using the link) and see what you think.
Lt. Commander
# 4
10-21-2012, 01:42 AM
So I've heard
Career Officer
# 5
10-21-2012, 01:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dantrainor View Post
Just wait till season 7 hits... There'll be a whole nother type of grindfest to keep you occupied too.
The only grindfest I see when S7 hits is PWE grinding to figure out why a majority of players (especially longtime players) left after they see the BS changes coming up...
Commander
# 6
10-21-2012, 01:57 AM
PWE is ruining the game. The messed up the KDF and are doing the same thing now with the rest. I won't be here until Season 8 or 9 to see IF KDF gets anything new.

STO is a sinking ship
Cryptic's shamefull history with the KDF

http://www.stowiki.org/User:Peregrin...ryptic_Studios
Ensign
# 7
10-21-2012, 03:01 AM
Cryptic are turning STO into nothing but a racket.

I honestly think we should start petitioning CBS to get the licence recalled and hopefully given to someone who doesn't completely undermine the IP and doesn't hold the disdain for the playerbase that Cryptic have.

It's almost like they are trying to punish people for playing the game, absolute disaster.
Captain
# 8
10-21-2012, 03:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by easytiger79 View Post
Cryptic are turning STO into nothing but a racket.

I honestly think we should start petitioning CBS to get the licence recalled and hopefully given to someone who doesn't completely undermine the IP and doesn't hold the disdain for the playerbase that Cryptic have.

It's almost like they are trying to punish people for playing the game, absolute disaster.
I really hate to think you could write that with a straight face. Punish people? They're offering new systems to progress in; that's pretty much the fundamental idea of an MMORPG.

1) This game offers you 99.9% of EVERYTHING without asking you to put a single penny into it.
2) Compare the loot and gear system in this game with every other MMO out there, and you'll see that generally STO has been more than generous. I mean you can get end-game competitive gear in next to no time in STO.

I mean really, new characters are going to have to engage with an end-game reputation track in order to buy certain gear and that's the some red line for you? How long does it take to get the BEST gear in WoW? In SW:tOR? I bet whatever that figure is, STO's equivalent is miniscule. And that's factoring in the Omega/Romulan reputation systems.

You people need a sense of perspective. If you don't like playing the game for its own sake, perhaps it's time to play something else?
Empire Veteran
# 9
10-21-2012, 05:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff484 View Post
exactly like I expected - A worthless grind fest.
And this part of the game isn't going to change. STO is a game where you fight in dungeons; loots and gear grind are here to keep you playing those till the next patch with new missions. It's very similar to RPG games except that it's not designed to be played for 50h or so like solo games. So basically you have to play again and again the X amount of gameplay the game has to offer; that's the core of STO's design.

If you don't like that I would advise you to:
- be more casual
- play solo games, especially if you don't like in-game shops everywhere (something I completely understand and a feeling I share to some extent)
- play PvP based games, especially RTS ones. It's not repetitive at all since every match is completely different.

Now if you still want to play the game you can show you don't approve of STO's evolution by not contributing to the game revenue and be a completely F2P player. This includes not buying Zen and not trading dilithium for zen, but don't expect the game to be something it's not.

Last edited by diogene0; 10-21-2012 at 05:17 AM.
Career Officer
# 10
10-21-2012, 05:15 AM
This was an interesting read, not played in almost a year, thought I best dust off the old lifetime subscription and take a look myself!