Career Officer
# 21
10-21-2012, 06:34 AM
So you have no idea how the player base gets treated maybe in 2 years.
T6 Miranda and T6 Oberth FTW!
Empire Veteran
# 22
10-21-2012, 08:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bridgern View Post
So you have no idea how the player base gets treated maybe in 2 years.
No, we do... some of us are simply much more understanding (and possibly restrained).

Many posts on these forums claim 'people will leave', 'it will ruin the game', 'everyone will hate it', etc etc... a lot of which is exaggerated.

I've seen a lot of similiar reactions to the Season 7 changes (and it won't be the last). The thing is; they're knee-jerk reactions, and not a lot of actual thought put into them.

And without that, it's hard to see exactly WHY this is THAT big of an issue. And even if you're being screwed over: it's a game, and not that big of a deal. You chose to put time/money into the game (if you did so), but you won't always be rewarded for it: same as reality.

My two cents
Was named Trek17, but still an author.
Rihannsu
# 23
10-21-2012, 11:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by trek21 View Post
No, we do... some of us are simply much more understanding (and possibly restrained).

Many posts on these forums claim 'people will leave', 'it will ruin the game', 'everyone will hate it', etc etc... a lot of which is exaggerated.

I've seen a lot of similiar reactions to the Season 7 changes (and it won't be the last). The thing is; they're knee-jerk reactions, and not a lot of actual thought put into them.

And without that, it's hard to see exactly WHY this is THAT big of an issue. And even if you're being screwed over: it's a game, and not that big of a deal. You chose to put time/money into the game (if you did so), but you won't always be rewarded for it: same as reality.

My two cents
Exactly! It's happened every season. Yeah, peeps sometimes have reasons to rant, sometimes, but even when they have a reason they go off the deep end.

I remember the weekly mandatory respecs..... not fun, but I got over it.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Empire Veteran
# 24
10-21-2012, 04:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by markhawkman View Post
Exactly! It's happened every season. Yeah, peeps sometimes have reasons to rant, sometimes, but even when they have a reason they go off the deep end.

I remember the weekly mandatory respecs..... not fun, but I got over it.
Nice to know I'm not alone

But yeah, when you're on an internet forum for an MMO, and new changes come out (especially BIG changes like STO's seasons)... there will be knee-jerk reactions (with or without reasons); many of them are negative, because people are usually much more inclined to post their feelings when angered or upset.

But yeah, because it's knee-jerk, it's not a good indicator of how people really feel. Once people calm down, get their thoughts together, and really REALLY think about the changes... that's the serious discussion the devs have been looking for. Whether your ultimate reaction is like, hate or 'meh', you still help the devs better that way than with emotion-filled posts.

Season 7 is no different, and it won't be the last time. I'm just glad I'm one of the few who thinks first, then reacts
Career Officer
# 25
10-21-2012, 04:19 PM
You can say what you will but NO ONE wants the doff grinder changes, I don't think anyone is overreacting about that.
Empire Veteran
# 26
10-21-2012, 04:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisoverlord View Post
You can say what you will but NO ONE wants the doff grinder changes, I don't think anyone is overreacting about that.
And I never did say that, as I was speaking in general.
Empire Veteran
# 27
10-21-2012, 05:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisoverlord View Post
^ THIS

There is no rational reason for nerfing the DOFF system like that.
Starfleet Veteran
# 28
10-21-2012, 06:17 PM
Tribble currently is a dead desolate graveyard with no one in the STF ques.

If it's like this when this stuff goes live we need alternate means of earning Omega marks!
If your post is anything like, "I have a sandwich so you can't be starving" it's time to rethink posting.

Last edited by thlaylierah; 10-21-2012 at 06:50 PM.
Lt. Commander
# 29
10-21-2012, 08:17 PM
Quote:

But yeah, when you're on an internet forum for an MMO, and new changes come out (especially BIG changes like STO's seasons)... there will be knee-jerk reactions (with or without reasons); many of them are negative, because people are usually much more inclined to post their feelings when angered or upset.

But yeah, because it's knee-jerk, it's not a good indicator of how people really feel. Once people calm down, get their thoughts together, and really REALLY think about the changes... that's the serious discussion the devs have been looking for. Whether your ultimate reaction is like, hate or 'meh', you still help the devs better that way than with emotion-filled posts.

Season 7 is no different, and it won't be the last time. I'm just glad I'm one of the few who thinks first, then reacts
I think you may be missing a point here. Folks are commenting on these Forums, not because of changes, but because of the removal of value that has been "earned" in the past, and the reduction of value given for time to be played, in the future.

The model of game we are going into ( I will admit I am not an expert, simply voicing my own observation) is one that is built around a high churn rate of players. It is designed to give little return of real entertainment value to players, allowing for a minimized expense in development. It also looks for as much income in RL cash as possible, before that uncommitted player leaves.

The "game to come" is not designed for the player who has any knowledge or love for the Trek Universe, nor recognizes the long history of Trek.

That is where I think one of the problems is. Rather than developing and expanding the Trek franchise into something of "wonder", the game is becoming a financial treadmill to generate as much income as possible, before it "inevitably fails". There isn't any optimism in the planning of this, only hard facts gleaned from a history of other game ventures.

There are little details being released to this point, only the existence of Tribble as a "trial balloon", to get a sense as to whether the number who might leave the game, falls within the expected range.
So, in my opinion, this is not just a case of "changes", but evidence of a radical shift towards another type of game, that is an awful lot less fun to play.

Hopefully I am wrong.

Last edited by tvlar; 10-21-2012 at 08:52 PM.
Career Officer
# 30
10-21-2012, 09:14 PM
Quote:

And what if your feedback is, the changes are mostly good (aside from DOff price increases, which means I'll simply suspend DOff progress and take longer on Fleet projects) but the ROLLOUT is not good?

I don't think the changes themselves will kill the game. They will impact fleets and DOffing. But I do think the rollout may cost players, maybe permanantly -- maybe temporarily -- that the changes themselves would not.