Cryptic Studios Team
# 11
10-19-2012, 03:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by qutoth View Post
snip
There is a blog going live next week that will give a rough outline of progression and rewards for this system.
Empire Veteran
# 12
10-19-2012, 05:22 PM
I posted this thought previously as people were concerned about SB resource sinks then too, and my opinion has not changed; SB play is only one aspect of STO. I think that the long-term "Trick" to players surviving these new systems is to keep in mind that if we rush through this stuff, we will be right back where we started--with nothing left to do.

On the other hand, by doing a little bit of everything, and allowing development of various Fleet-holdings (and Reputation), over time, we are less likely to a) Burn out on one content type, and b) feel less like we are being soul-sucked of our hard-earned resources.

Many of us still remember the days when we went for months (years just about) without significant updates to the game. For myself, I survived that--now infamous--content drought by taking my time. It took me nearly eight-months to level my first Toon, but I never got as frustrated or burned out as a lot of my fellows.

It's all really just a matter of perspective and we all have choices. We can, for example; Rage quit--changes nothing. Grind like furry little hamsters on a wheel--tedious and exhausting. Or we can choose to enjoy what is here now for what it is, take our time, and know that Cryptic is working towards continuing to expand the game and make it more complex and meaningful for the long-term.

I really sense that these new systems are just the beginning of what's to come. Crafting (sort of) lead to DOffing, DOffing totally lead to SB (and other myriad, as yet unreleased, additional holdings), Defera lead to Nukara, Nukara apparently is leading us to the new Colony (which seems to include elements of Bajor), and at each step the approach has improved with each new idea.

What's on the horizon? What cool new way will the game evolve in the future? I don't know of course, but the point is, I do not plan to burn out before I find out what it is.

Thus, I'll take it one day at a time and enjoy the ride. You may not want me on your PvP or STF team, and my personal bank-fleet probably won't hit Tier V till 2014, but my casual approach to the game has kept me with it consistently since open beta. I still like to play STO.

cha' DarSeqwIj {My Two Darseks}

--------------------------------------------

As to embassy feedback specifically, you know, to get back on topic after my soap-boxing, The main thing I noticed was that with some projects, contributions do not seem to be counting correctly.

Specifically, a DOff requirement of say 12 non civs, is only allowing donation of one, and yet says filled, but the status is saying 1 instead of 12. This is happening in the Reputation too.

I have not logged in and out repeatedly to see if it eventually updates though.

maj!
Previously: QorDaq
Lt. General, KDF Division Commanding, 12th Fleet
Starfleet Veteran
# 13
10-19-2012, 05:38 PM
I wouldn't mind so much if these new systems were more integrated into the actual story driven missions in STO. I, idiotically, grinded up to the tier four diplomacy rank before the DOFF system was introduced, and generally have nothing to show for it. However the one, and only, good thing I can say I got from it was when it actually made a difference in the dialog options I had during the opening mission of the Romulan Featured Series.

Sure, it wasn't something that changed the outcome of the mission, but it did open up additional options for my captain to say to Obisek at the time, and made it feel like I was trying to resolve the situation peacefully. However since then there hasn't been a repeat of said options, and that is sorely disappointing, especially in a game that holds the title Star Trek Online.
---------------------------------------------------
U.S.S. Endeavour NCC-91771 - Nebula-class
Commanding Officer: Captain Pyotr Ramonovich Amosov
Dedication Plaque: "Leave nothing unattempted" - James Cook

Last edited by amosov78; 10-19-2012 at 05:42 PM.
Empire Veteran
# 14
10-19-2012, 06:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by amosov78 View Post
I wouldn't mind so much if these new systems were more integrated into the actual story driven missions in STO. I, idiotically, grinded up to the tier four diplomacy rank before the DOFF system was introduced, and generally have nothing to show for it. However the one, and only, good thing I can say I got from it was when it actually made a difference in the dialog options I had during the opening mission of the Romulan Featured Series.

Sure, it wasn't something that changed the outcome of the mission, but it did open up additional options for my captain to say to Obisek at the time, and made it feel like I was trying to resolve the situation peacefully. However since then there hasn't been a repeat of said options, and that is sorely disappointing, especially in a game that holds the title Star Trek Online.
Agreed. I also would really like to see ALL Commendation Paths have similar tie-ins. We do know that the Reputation system will impact what missions are available for the Romulan Colony zone. I kind of doubt that the Embassy would have an impact like that though, because it's part of the Fleet-development system rather than the personal system. However, it would be pretty awesome if it did.

maj!
Previously: QorDaq
Lt. General, KDF Division Commanding, 12th Fleet
Rihannsu
# 15
10-19-2012, 06:55 PM
Don't have a fleet on Tribble, but I hope the DOFFs required are more generic than for the fleet space station. I also think you guys should raise the cap on the number of DOFFs allowed per character, if you're going to have FOUR different grinds that require DOFFs.
Starfleet Veteran
# 16
10-19-2012, 07:20 PM
Wow... just wow... Cryptic/PWE really is intent on killing off STO aren't they
Starfleet Veteran
# 17
10-19-2012, 07:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by qordaq View Post
Agreed. I also would really like to see ALL Commendation Paths have similar tie-ins. We do know that the Reputation system will impact what missions are available for the Romulan Colony zone. I kind of doubt that the Embassy would have an impact like that though, because it's part of the Fleet-development system rather than the personal system. However, it would be pretty awesome if it did.

maj!
In terms of the fleet projects; I wouldn't mind seeing the fleet system itself be used to generate story content for those players in the fleet. Every so often one of the projects would require you to go off and actually do something involving, for example, aiding a nearby colony in distress, for additional fleet rewards.

Said rewards could then be funneled back into whatever project(s) are currently running at the time. These could even be formed into a chain of missions eventually, that tell a small story. At least it'd be a more interesting wrapper for the generally spartan "spreadsheet" assignments we have now.
---------------------------------------------------
U.S.S. Endeavour NCC-91771 - Nebula-class
Commanding Officer: Captain Pyotr Ramonovich Amosov
Dedication Plaque: "Leave nothing unattempted" - James Cook

Last edited by amosov78; 10-19-2012 at 07:31 PM.
Career Officer
# 18
10-19-2012, 07:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by superherofan View Post
Don't have a fleet on Tribble, but I hope the DOFFs required are more generic than for the fleet space station. I also think you guys should raise the cap on the number of DOFFs allowed per character, if you're going to have FOUR different grinds that require DOFFs.
So far only saw common DOFFs as requirements for the reputation system, didn't see any for the Fleet reputation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amosov78 View Post

You know that would be a nice thing. You think the reputation system would be connected somehow with the Diplomacy system, but yet it's independent.

For example: Higher diplomacy opens new missions, new projects, and new equipment.

Which makes me think they threw this together at the last minute by copy and pasting the fleet system.

Quote:
On the other hand, by doing a little bit of everything, and allowing development of various Fleet-holdings (and Reputation), over time, we are less likely to a) Burn out on one content type, and b) feel less like we are being soul-sucked of our hard-earned resources.
Afraid I don't see it that way. Having the system like it is, people will struggle to get it done all at the same time than focusing on one area. What Cryptic should've done is have intergrated systems.

After Season 6 came out, I begged Cryptic add Fleet Marks to STFs so we could work on our Dilithium, work on our STFs and Fleet Marks at the same time. So players wouldn't feel overloaded and those who are short on time could have the best of all worlds.

Thats what they need to do here is something simlar.

But right now, Cryptic is just compounding grinds (STF, Dilithium, Fleet, and Romulan systems), which is going to overload people to the point they will have to give up something. And given the DOFF nerfs, The Fleet system will very much be the favorted to stop working on.

Quote:
I really sense that these new systems are just the beginning of what's to come. Crafting (sort of) lead to DOffing, DOffing totally lead to SB (and other myriad, as yet unreleased, additional holdings), Defera lead to Nukara, Nukara apparently is leading us to the new Colony (which seems to include elements of Bajor), and at each step the approach has improved with each new idea.
That would be a nice thing if systems could complement one another like that.
NO to ARC!

Season 9.5 = STO's NGE is Here! Welcome to the Grind!

New Crafting = It's not Crafting, is an overblown Reputation System.
Career Officer
# 19
10-21-2012, 11:25 AM
Nice discussion, but may anyone tell me HOW I can visit the embassy?

Where? How?
Rihannsu
# 20
10-21-2012, 11:36 AM
To contribute to embassy projects just open the fleet interface the same as if you were contributing to regular fleet projects.

Honestly the embassy is kinda like adding a fourth section to the fleet SB. so that we now have Tac/eng/sci and a civilian branch.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.