Republic Veteran
# 251
10-21-2012, 10:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
Cryptic/PWE/CBS; what in all that's holy were you thinking of when you thought this would be a good idea??

I'm seriously worried for STO right now, I really am.

I was right there when SOE/LA forced the NGE on the unsuspectingg player base, and look how that turned out in the end... What SOE/LA did was inexcuseable in so many ways, and utterly boneheaded.

Most of S 7 reminds me eerily of the thing that brought my beloved SWG down in flames, the NGE disaster.

Do not repeat their mistakes with these kind of quiet frankly idiotic changes. It will only end up hurting the game and not least the players.

This could easily turn into the last Season for STO if nothing is done....
not sure anything could compare to the nge it was seriously that big of a change. i felt the nge was still a good game. but the big problems was it was a better game before. i was there from luanch to the end and saw it turn from a great game to a good game. it was gaming tradedy for sure. 1 other reason for that tregedy was not listening to the playerbase. i kinda get the feeling that sto is setting sail for the titantic iceberg some times. when thinking of how romulans will be added. every one wants a full 3rd faction but they seem to be not be listening/liking that idea and pushing for a subfaction idea that mean they join the klingons or feds. season 7 seems in many ways purpose made to force romulans to join the fed or klingons and that really is an awful long term concept
Captain
# 252
10-21-2012, 10:38 AM
Quote:
This just tells me you haven't played many f2p games. STO offers EVERY piece of content without putting it behind a pay wall. Maybe these changes bring item acquisition and end-game gearing to a point where they take longer. Certainly most subscription MMOs take longer to gear up!
the LOTRO model is far supiriour IMHO.

Yes you have to pay store currancy for any content that goes beyond lv20. But it's a one time purchase per zone, (think episode arc in STO terms), and upto about 50 some carefuly planninh and only minimal grinding will get you there for free. And you can get acess to pretty much all content for the equivelent of about 20K Zen in real money terms.

LOTRO makes it's money in two ays.

1. Since any new content has to be bought in the store and there's a degree of want it now they effectivlly get an expanshon level income boost out of it. Indeed they actually offer to let you buy the expanshion firect for real money, (same cost as store in real terms, just avoids having to add to your balance first).

2. Providing conviniance items in the store. There's all kinds of things to do in game and most just like STO take a fair amount of time. Various boosters let you reduce this timescale significantly.

3. Cosmetics. I'd say half the store items are consmetics in reality and they apprentlly sell rather well.

It's not a perfect system, there are some genuine WTH moments in there. But the gating is done in such a way that your not being nickle and dimmed constantly, it's all one time payments.
Republic Veteran
# 253
10-21-2012, 10:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by trenttyler View Post
This F2P model is the worst ive yet to see. While i understand the need for PWE/Cryptic to make money somehow using this model, i believe they are just exploiting the fans of Star Trek. Lets face it, if this was any other game named XYZ, this MMO would have closed shop 2 years ago.

Cryptic has used the dedication of its players base to fleece the same players out of Real World Money since the inception of the Cstore, and now it is even worst. There is no compelling reason that Dilithium needs to be part of everything in game, absolutely none. Return to the already cash heavy policy of getting ships and some rare doffs, but leave the rest of the game alone.

We now need to spend Dilithium on reputation gains, Star base construction, any crafted item worth a damn, all the new reputation store items, after we spend Dilithium to open that particular tier of store, all new doff acquisition, and the list goes on, and on, and on......, yet we still can only refine 8K a day, not very well thought out, unless you want it to take a year to complete a set at tier 5, or you just want the avg player to sepnd 100 Dolars U.S. each month? that then defeats the whole F2P model no?

Time for PWE/Cryptic to give a bone to the player base, and stop crying your not making enough money for the oh so small total efficient stff that has been claimed to be the saving grace of their model of game development. ****e, bring back subscriptions for all i care, it would COST me less than this F2P/P2W model.
Quote:
Originally Posted by walshicus View Post
This just tells me you haven't played many f2p games. STO offers EVERY piece of content without putting it behind a pay wall. Maybe these changes bring item acquisition and end-game gearing to a point where they take longer. Certainly most subscription MMOs take longer to gear up!

The question is : what's your hurry? Does it really matter if it takes a little longer to get a full set of DOFFs or gear?
they make a good point tho. the diffrence between lifer/gold/silver is hardly anything and there isn't really anything that rewards you for your sub. they just made a mockery of the vet system for a sales gimmick.... and stipends don't go no where near far enough.. when you think they want 700 for a single ev suit :S
Captain
# 254
10-21-2012, 11:22 AM
LOTRO, Navy Field, Conan and DC are far superior models than this. I love how some defend what can not be defend, because this grind and PTW game model can not be defend by any person with a real life, work (or study) and family. The only ones that can defend this madness are the ones with a lot of money and no real life responsibilities.

Division Hispana
www.divisionhispana.com
Commander
# 255
10-21-2012, 11:24 AM
I agree with all the many many people who've objected to this one so far. Dilithium grinding is BORING, and this is meant to be a game (MMOGs seem a bit prone to forget that!) Not all of us can play all evening every evening, remember. Without spending all my playing time scratching around for dilithium and none actually playing stuff, it'd take me several sessions to get 1000 for a General Recruitment pack, so if this goes through I'm not going to be doing any more of those missions.

Come on PWE, the DOff system's been running less than a year and everyone agrees it's brilliant, don't blow it now.

(Wazzagiow: as a Silver player I'd have said there's a big difference, but come to think of it, all I can remember offhand is that I want a Liberated Borg Klingon and I can't have one. And I can always fake that.)
Commander
# 256
10-21-2012, 11:32 AM
OK, seems Cryptic is happier with me as non-paying or no-longer customer....
Survivor of Romulus
# 257
10-21-2012, 11:57 AM
If these changes go through I guess I'll take my ball and go home. Please, please don't let these changes hit Holodeck
Captain
# 258
10-21-2012, 12:29 PM
To me there is one simple detail about the Pay for Content F2P model that makes it far superior to me.

The Developer has a financial reason to create content as in new things to do. And to make sure that it is good enough to buy. While a F2P model such as STOs creates a financial reason for a developer to create the other type of content as in new stuff to buy.

Notice which style leads to more playable content in the form of new places to explore and new quests to undertake compared to new crap in a lockbox.
Career Officer
# 259
10-21-2012, 01:12 PM
As the leader of a small fleet I'm very concerned by this news. it takes us a lot of time already to get the dilithium and doffs necessary for fleet projects. We mix our doffs with recruitment and fleet doffs. If recruitment missions starting cost a lot of dilithium we'll have even less to put to the starbase (T3 upgrade at 648,000 is already going to take us weeks to gather).
"Once more unto the breech..."

Rogue Shipyard Blog
Captain
# 260
10-21-2012, 01:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maarkean View Post
As the leader of a small fleet I'm very concerned by this news. it takes us a lot of time already to get the dilithium and doffs necessary for fleet projects. We mix our doffs with recruitment and fleet doffs. If recruitment missions starting cost a lot of dilithium we'll have even less to put to the starbase (T3 upgrade at 648,000 is already going to take us weeks to gather).
I would start collecting greens now in a BIG way as all T3 upgrades require greens - if the changes stick in 3 weeks you will be paying 500 dilth to upgrade 5 commons to 1 green.

the cost of greens on the exchange is going to go through the roof