Career Officer
# 11
09-25-2012, 10:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hydaspes View Post
Works for me.

So what are the Tal like? System of government? Cultural habits and beliefs? Procreation? Physiology? Etc.
I would liken a group of Tal to maybe a pod of orcas. Matriarchs takes the lead; I mostly say this because I've tried to make Tals on a male phenotype and they just lose all the elegance... so maybe they can only be made on female toons or perhaps have it similar to the females being taller and larger while the males be smaller and perhaps more aquatic and tendrily looking... rarely leaving the home planet. They prefer pack mentality as opposed to the lone wolf idea (the males eventually leaving the pod as they mature and go fart around as bachelors). Government = various pods that are accustomed to life under water as well as life above it (so the city ship would probably accomodate both these options). Each pod is semi-independant but obviously the more long-standing or powerful ones have more say during group congregations and can act as a representative of their people.

Younger Tal resemble tadpole like creatures, molting to a more graceful and bipedal form later on.

Beliefs? Not sure, maybe they are sensitive to the resonance of song and the rythms of life on a planet or ship. Perhaps holding such things in high regard (like whale song).

Any suggestions welcome on this .

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfish1701 View Post
Excellent video, and a really good looking species.

I think they should have their own planet, missions and culture in game, just like the Deferi do. My crew would love to go and visit it.
I would love to do that, maybe I can try to make a foundry mission... I'm not savy enough for it though but maybe at some point I'll figure it out.
<a href=http://tinyurl.com/msywqm5 target=_blank>http://tinyurl.com/msywqm5</a>
Chillax. No Ego. No Drama.

Like my alien? Watch THE VIDEO
Need custom graphics for you or your fleet? Click HERE
Lt. Commander
# 12
10-01-2012, 03:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by talzerotwo View Post
Beliefs? Not sure, maybe they are sensitive to the resonance of song and the rythms of life on a planet or ship. Perhaps holding such things in high regard (like whale song).

Any suggestions welcome on this .
It occurs to me the Tal are a species that begins life under water, and then continue life, at a certain stage of development, above water (or in both enviroments in any case).

If you are a tadpole, you know nothing of the world above water and you cannot see beyond the surface (or see mysterious shimmerings and shapes), once you become a frog, a whole new world opens up to you, all those mysteries can be explored.

So I'm thinking what that would do to a species psychology. They all have a revelation at a certain stage in life. Who is to say that they do not believe there would yet be another stage (death) where another revelation would occur. Like they would breach yet another surface. They might think that in each stage of life you breach a surface. And you will not be seen again by those still living below the surface.

So maybe they see mysteries during life, like the shimmerings and distortions you see when under water, when you look up. They see these as signs of the next surface. Maybe they believe this surface to be at a certain place in space (like a dense molecular cloud or stellar nursery). And when their bodies die, they are taken there and pushed off to float through the surface of that cloud, where it is believed their life continues to its next phase. Or maybe they go there at an old age, when their time has come, and they pass through it, instead of letting their bodies die. And if you die before your time, then you are pushed through.

It could be called the 'breaching', the 'passing' or the 'emergence'.

Just a thought...

Last edited by hydaspes; 10-01-2012 at 03:31 AM.
Captain
# 13
10-21-2012, 05:12 PM
Very nice looking species! I also like the lore surrounding them. Have you considered making a Foundry mission about the Tal?
"It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid."
-- Q
Career Officer
# 14
10-21-2012, 05:52 PM
I LOVE the breaching aspect and will try to incorperate that into their culture.

As for making a foundry I'm trying, but I suck at it hard lol. Maybe if everthing's fleshed out, others can do it

Captain
# 15
10-21-2012, 07:02 PM
I'm Admiral Yuung and I approve of this thread.

I'm not as creative, but I did my best to create a typically Asiatic male captain (as seen on the left). And so at 1.80m, I'm SMALLER than like 90% of the women on ESD. XD

Just finished watching the video and ZOMG how much did you spend on costumes and alien parts?!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. Comm. Pion
What should I wish upon the endless universe;
To be able to smile and forgive everything;
That's right, if we light up the dream in our hearts without averting our eyes;
We should be able to walk whatever tomorrow comes...

I am V. Adm. Kha Yuung, and I approve of this message.

Last edited by khayuung; 10-21-2012 at 07:06 PM.
Career Officer
# 16
10-22-2012, 01:11 AM
kudos to you sir for not going for the usual 6'+ steroid fueld 80s action hero .

as for the clothes, I bought most of those back in the day before f2p price hikes. things were much cheaper then

Captain
# 17
10-22-2012, 01:40 AM
Quote:
kudos to you sir for not going for the usual 6'+ steroid fueld 80s action hero .
If you play SWTOR, you'd notice how that gets boring, real fast. :heh:

Being short actually makes me unique. Also, my limbs move better, and not like I'm in the middle of a slow-mo action sequence.

Plus I made my Number One really really tiny, so relatively speaking, I'm still "kinda" tall. And I also tried to scale my crew according to the average of the races they were from. Now if I could make it, I'd have a scene where this really diminutive woman as First Officer is talking down to this whole bunch of aliens (and the odd human) who are all average-sized but way taller than her!

Well, except the space dwarf.

The only one who got to be 6" was my Klingon CMO, but that's because he's Klingon, and a grumpy guy running the Department of Diagnostic Medicine. Gotta be tall and bullying to fit the fluff.

Quote:
as for the clothes, I bought most of those back in the day before f2p price hikes. things were much cheaper then
Too bad, I didn't sub at that time. I'd love to just go wild with all the costume choices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. Comm. Pion
What should I wish upon the endless universe;
To be able to smile and forgive everything;
That's right, if we light up the dream in our hearts without averting our eyes;
We should be able to walk whatever tomorrow comes...

I am V. Adm. Kha Yuung, and I approve of this message.
Career Officer
# 18
12-07-2012, 03:41 AM
Blah, I'm quite terrible at the foundry bit as I've tried and tried. Any suggestions on how to make a "water world" or have "underwater missions" ?

Captain
# 19
12-07-2012, 06:10 AM
Quote:
Blah, I'm quite terrible at the foundry bit as I've tried and tried. Any suggestions on how to make a "water world" or have "underwater missions" ?
You could make a blue sky background, and instruct the player to wear an environmental suit. Perhaps add some FX to simulate water currents as well.

Starbase UGC is a great resource if you're having trouble.
"It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid."
-- Q

Last edited by psycoticvulcan; 12-07-2012 at 06:15 AM.
Starfleet Veteran
# 20
02-02-2013, 09:38 PM
Bumped in to you on ESD. Quite simply the BEST alien I've seen. Even the clothes suit the character. I wish I had have created it!!