Go Back   Star Trek Online > Test Servers > Tribble - General Discussion and Feedback
Login

Ensign
# 11
10-22-2012, 10:21 PM
Why not just have it cost EC instead? Like 50k for very rare. That is obtainable, very easily if you are experienced. EC would be a more viable currency IMO.
Career Officer
# 12
10-22-2012, 10:43 PM
Because EC is really easy to come by.
Career Officer
# 13
10-22-2012, 10:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog0000doom View Post
the doff system needs new tiers and new roster slots. not a 200000x increase diltihium price using the doff grinder
Well, how do you add tiers other than "Very Rare"? "Ultra-Rare?" "Overly Common?"

I wouldn't seeing maybe mixed-type DOFFs. Say, they're Rare, but actually can do two different job assignments at equal level to a Common. Of course, I'd make them Bind automatically, but I'm a cruel, terrible person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azurianstar View Post
I just hope this isn't somekind of conn by Perfect World to force us to spend Zen on the Dilithum Exchange, because that's something like the mafia did.
It only forces you if you're impatient or don't have much time to play (and even that's arguable). If you're earning your Dilithium, this is slowing you down. Both on an individual and a fleet basis (my theory is above).

Quote:
Originally Posted by red01999 View Post
That, I will grant you.

The devs want to slow progress down. And frankly, I can't blame them. How many people have you heard screaming about having nothing to do? I've heard a lot. A whole lot.
Tangent: it'd be nice if they had more things we could do with the DOFF system, but that's just me. As is, its a rather enjoyable little resource game for me, and one I almost prefer to the regular game. Certainly, if I could use them to automate certain things that'd be fantastic... "Assign X, Y, and Z officers to this team: when you posses A, B, and C, they will take them and make a D."
Updated 2/11/13! Buying Zen with Energy Credits | Upgrading Duty Officers without Dilithium.
Q&A Presents: Maui Online! My friends' radioshow/podcast Computers, with occasional forays into astronomy.
Career Officer
# 14
10-22-2012, 11:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by traptpatriot View Post
Why not just have it cost EC instead? Like 50k for very rare. That is obtainable, very easily if you are experienced. EC would be a more viable currency IMO.
Quote:
Because EC is really easy to come by.
I'll have to agree. Everyone gets EC, whether they're shooting for it or not, and it flows in much higher quantities than anything else. One lucky drop can net you hundreds of thousands, even millions. Players can simply give it away after a certain point. Its pretty much worthless unless you account for the sheer amount of it floating around and its mobility.

Dilithium flows at a much lower rate, can't be directly transferred, and is always useful for something (even if its just Zen). If you have a million dilithium, that's a fortune in Zen! A million in EC isn't really a big deal.
Updated 2/11/13! Buying Zen with Energy Credits | Upgrading Duty Officers without Dilithium.
Q&A Presents: Maui Online! My friends' radioshow/podcast Computers, with occasional forays into astronomy.
Commander
# 15
10-23-2012, 12:04 AM
random is BS, as is that much dilithium and 5x doffs. seems starfleet has firmly embraced the ferengi rules of acquisition and the orions attitude towards slavery~> officers can be bought and sold. how cbs let that through is beyond me. a small amount to cover transfer costs and paperwork made sense. the absolute gouging doesn't.

not unless starfleet and the federation in 2409 have drastically changed their philosophies.
Dr. Patricia Tanis ~ "Bacon is for sycophants and products of incest."
Donate Brains, zombies in Washington DC are starving.
Career Officer
# 16
10-23-2012, 12:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadspacex64 View Post
random is BS, as is that much dilithium and 5x doffs. seems starfleet has firmly embraced the ferengi rules of acquisition and the orions attitude towards slavery~> officers can be bought and sold. how cbs let that through is beyond me. a small amount to cover transfer costs and paperwork made sense. the absolute gouging doesn't.

not unless starfleet and the federation in 2409 have drastically changed their philosophies.
Heard of SOPA or PIPA? ACTA? Major companies are run by Ferengi.
Commander
# 17
10-23-2012, 03:25 AM
I am not that surprised that the costs on the upgrinder increased, with airlocking devaluated it was the only thing left to do with non starbase fit doffs. Unless you were lazy like me and airlocked them anyway.

To be honest, I can live with the 1k dilithium on general recruitments, the foundry daily pays for it just fine, and unless dilithium yielding missions get severly reduced I have no problems to fill my daily 8k fast enough.

The upgrinder cost feels for me like someone sledgehammered the problem at hand. That it was really easy to repeatedly down- and upgrind. Because 250 dilithium is just peanuts for an altoholic. So yeah the new costs will get the job done of making that unprofitable.

But instead of screaming bloody murder you perhaps should ask yourselves the question if 'the job get's done' with other means or with a lower cost.

Would it become unprofitable with let's say 2.5/3k for the purple grinder? It would probably prevent me from throwing every blue I get at it, but as you recall (see above) I'm lazy and while I am able to get quite a bit of dilithium per day it wouldn't exactly count as something that I call good entertainment.

With 5/6k there is no question what I do with blues, either throw at some fitting doff exchange or downgrind to whites to feed my hungry starbase. Half the price would at least make me think a second about getting a nice purple before downgrinding it anyway (yay starbases! )

If you continue that line of thought the next thing cryptic probably has to do then is to increase the downgrind assignment duration to one minute, something that I really don't want to happen.
Career Officer
# 18
10-23-2012, 05:53 AM
Did the downgrinder increase by as much? Been too busy to check.

Thought off one perspective on this:

Suppose they don't like how people can grind up AND down (even with some loss) to get the DOff their fleet needs for projects? You could do this repeatedly until you get the white DOff you need.

Hm.

Would much prefer DOff grinder times go up than costs go up. 5 seconds is the crazy part, not prices/costs/rewards.

Raise time to 4 hours.

Again, look at adding fleet and personal DOff/Rep project time reducers on C-Store if they want to make more $$$.
Lt. Commander
# 19
10-23-2012, 07:04 AM
With or without dil. cost, the gamble factor, or random factor as OP described it, has to be removed.
If I'm to "buy" doffs, let me at least choose what profession will they be, I'm sick of getting blue nongamma refugees, purple bartenders of just different sizes and shapes and whatnot.
The exchange is not a solution as DoFF prices there are unbelievably high.
Ensign
# 20
10-23-2012, 07:42 AM
Quote:
I honestly wish the Dev Team would reconsider this Dilithium Tax, or at least give us some explaination why they are doing this all of a sudden.

Because this Dilithum Tax is just going to hurt everyone, especially small fleets who have to do the DOFF shuffle in order to get the right DOFFs to projects. And lets not forget that a lot of people are very low on Dilithium right now because of these same Starbase Projects.

I just hope this isn't somekind of conn by Perfect World to force us to spend Zen on the Dilithum Exchange, because that's something like the mafia did.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoleviathan99 View Post
Did the downgrinder increase by as much? Been too busy to check.

Thought off one perspective on this:

Suppose they don't like how people can grind up AND down (even with some loss) to get the DOff their fleet needs for projects? You could do this repeatedly until you get the white DOff you need.

Hm.

Would much prefer DOff grinder times go up than costs go up. 5 seconds is the crazy part, not prices/costs/rewards.

Raise time to 4 hours.

Again, look at adding fleet and personal DOff/Rep project time reducers on C-Store if they want to make more $$$.
I agree. I think EC would be an ok way to pay instead of dilithium, but this is even better. The dilithium costs just mean I won't be upgrading DOffs as much because of the need for dilithium elsewhere.