Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 597
# 21
10-23-2012, 05:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fakehilbert View Post
AMSing is bad.

SS is... well, it used to be that nobody ran with SS builds because they were simply annoying and would just lead to a situation where it was countered with more scrambles and thus created a circle of annoying SS usage that didn't really increase anybody's enjoyment of the game.
But then Cryptic decided that they needed to nerf CPB and TachBeam and thus left SS as one of the few sci abilities that are still somewhat useful...

We had the total scrambling back in 2011 when some teams were running with more than 6 copies of SS2/3, and it was possible to survive. But it was no fun to play these matches.

Is it op? Probably not so much. But balance and fun are different things.
but what would you rather have if you had to pick one? ss spam but can see the map or ams spam and cant see anyone? if it comes down to ams, then both sides need to ams at the same time, hit brace for impact and spam faw and hope you kill thoes tric mines that you cant see comming for you.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,315
# 22
10-23-2012, 05:40 AM
Don't play much PVP but if you but the equipment and it works with your tactics then use it. A lot of ships I brought normally don't have the consoles they were brought with and they sit in my bank.
But these items are made to help you win the game so if you use it and can win with it then great however there should be something that can counteract the device or ability and from what I can gather from playing the PVP and fighting within fleet matches there is always a way to counteract anything. You just have to have the ability to do so.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 735
# 23
10-23-2012, 05:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fakehilbert View Post
AMSing is bad.

SS is... well, it used to be that nobody ran with SS builds because they were simply annoying and would just lead to a situation where it was countered with more scrambles and thus created a circle of annoying SS usage that didn't really increase anybody's enjoyment of the game.
But then Cryptic decided that they needed to nerf CPB and TachBeam and thus left SS as one of the few sci abilities that are still somewhat useful...

We had the total scrambling back in 2011 when some teams were running with more than 6 copies of SS2/3, and it was possible to survive. But it was no fun to play these matches.

Is it op? Probably not so much. But balance and fun are different things.
a circle of annoying sausage?

Yeah, i remember the time of horrible SS use... it was _not_ fun... even if it's not directly OP. That's why I ask if it's considered bad taste. I hate winning a battle and then get "yeah, but you used AMS", or "P2W saves the day" thrown at me. (ofc, it depends who says it)

On the other hand, i'd hate gimping myself for no reason.... Maybe just keeping our AMS consoles in inventory, and employ them en masse if AMS is used against us first will be the best option after all... Still, having a wipe caused by AMS in the beginning of the match is horrible for morale in a fresh PvP team.
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 597
# 24
10-23-2012, 05:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by robeasom View Post
Don't play much PVP but if you but the equipment and it works with your tactics then use it. A lot of ships I brought normally don't have the consoles they were brought with and they sit in my bank.
But these items are made to help you win the game so if you use it and can win with it then great however there should be something that can counteract the device or ability and from what I can gather from playing the PVP and fighting within fleet matches there is always a way to counteract anything. You just have to have the ability to do so.
as you said you dont pvp much. dont take this the wrong way or anything. but a guy who dont pvp mych goes into pvp with a p2w console and gets owned. the guy who does pvp all the time with a p2w console knows how to use it much better for that perfect edge. me and rand al thore had a pvp 1v1 with 5 rounds just for lol. he had his recluse me in my bug. we both had ams but i had a tric mine. he had tb pets. if i put you in the same match would you know when to use your capt powers with bo lay out time the ams tb and trics? all it took was for him to mess up and give me his heals and get tric bombed.

tho we did go escourt to escourt and his sci escourt owned me with tric spam hahahaha freaking sub nukes lol
Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 6,753
# 25
10-23-2012, 05:51 AM
AMS has a viable counter that works now, so while I dislike it in large doses I can choose to counter it if I wish.
I do not think its that bad anymore and agree with MT, thats a good console slot wasted on a 2 minute CD power.
Roy Hatch (stryker) soldier, friend, and good man.
1945-2014
RIP
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 735
# 26
10-23-2012, 05:52 AM
As an argument to the value of AMS...

Yes it has long CD, but does that really matter? SNB also has a silly long CD, but it's considered to be the top killer skill in STO. AMS may not be as strong as SNB, but it sure messes up a team, and it can be equipped at almost no opportunity cost, by any captain class and ship type. And if it IS cleared, the road is wide open for a SNB strike. It's like giving SS3-Turbo to a sciscort.
Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 6,753
# 27
10-23-2012, 05:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dassemsto View Post
As an argument to the value of AMS...

Yes it has long CD, but does that really matter? SNB also has a silly long CD, but it's considered to be the top killer skill in STO. AMS may not be as strong as SNB, but it sure messes up a team, and it can be equipped at almost no opportunity cost, by any captain class and ship type. And if it IS cleared, the road is wide open for a SNB strike. It's like giving SS3-Turbo to a sciscort.
Its a tactic like any other and if the ST counter did not work for it I would say its in poor choice to use AMS, but since it does have a counter and is a legit game ability I can not say its unfair.
Bad taste, maybe.
Annoying, yes.
Unfair, no. Besides now the KDF can get access to AMS as well, so maybe it'll clean up in the wash of being used by both sides.

As well, it does give reason to skill in Sensors, as the Sensors skill will reduce the amount of time you are scrambled.
Roy Hatch (stryker) soldier, friend, and good man.
1945-2014
RIP
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 597
# 28
10-23-2012, 06:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitemepwe View Post
AMS has a viable counter that works now, so while I dislike it in large doses I can choose to counter it if I wish.
I do not think its that bad anymore and agree with MT, thats a good console slot wasted on a 2 minute CD power.
the biggest thing wrong with ams is the sencor skill has no affect on it and it stops you from seeing not only your team but the other team. so while i cut your duration of ss3 with 6 points in sencors, you get a full duration of ams when even some tacts on nova core spec it. so when you come accross a player that will ams you followed by a tb and a buffed up tric mine that you dont see come out of the ships arse gg bro.
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 597
# 29
10-23-2012, 06:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitemepwe View Post
As well, it does give reason to skill in Sensors, as the Sensors skill will reduce the amount of time you are scrambled.
just look at all my post, ive been saying this is fail logic roach.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 735
# 30
10-23-2012, 06:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by broken1981 View Post
you get a full duration of ams when even some tacts on nova core spec it.
hey-hey, I was trying to keep the identity secret.... well, now that I see many people supporting AMS, I guess it's not a big deal anymore. :/

But yeah, I think saying "AMS is OK" will lead to battles with 10 AMS consoles in use... and if combined with one or two SS3 on each team, it will make the game nearly unplayable. There's just not enough sciteams in game to keep up with it, given the fact that it can scramble everyone in a 10km sphere.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:31 PM.