Career Officer
With the new Embasy we are going to have access to this new consoles, does someone knows how they work.
Commander
# 2
10-23-2012, 04:16 AM
Probably just add an amount to your Threat Control skill the same way other consoles do.

Personally I think its hilarious that its a Science console. Now if you want to tank you have to choose between increased threat and increased shield capacity when any tank would want both.

It needs to be an engineering console. That way Science ships can get 1/2 and still shield tank and Cruisers can get 1/2 and still take 2/3 armor consoles.

Please devs change it to an engineering console.
Career Officer
# 3
10-23-2012, 05:17 AM
When did threat control get added to consoles to begin with?
Career Officer
# 4
10-23-2012, 05:26 AM
Good question I have never heard about this.
Career Officer
# 5
10-23-2012, 06:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by seekerkorhil View Post
Personally I think its hilarious that its a Science console. Now if you want to tank you have to choose between increased threat and increased shield capacity when any tank would want both.

It needs to be an engineering console. That way Science ships can get 1/2 and still shield tank and Cruisers can get 1/2 and still take 2/3 armor consoles.

In my opinion these consoles need to do something other than just add threat control. (Full disclosure: I have not seen them yet, they may do more than just threat control)

Here are the issues with these consoles:

1) They are Science, and not Engineering. Forcing a cruiser that usually has less Sci consoles than Eng to start with to sacrifice Shield Capacity if they want to ... soak more damage?

2) Just as with the threat control skill, these consoles need to grant hull resistance of some kind. It makes no sense to both accept more incoming damage (a liability) and at the same time also give up mitigation.

Neither the Threat Control skill on ground/space, nor Draw Fire on the ground work like this they both grant extra resistance to deal with the greater incoming damage.

While an item that would help with Threat Control is welcome, these consoles appear they will do so with too high an opportunity cost.

I challenge anyone to PUG queue a handful of Elite Space STFs to see just how many Cruisers you come across without Threat Control (My guess is more than 90% of them) - this is because Threat Control is already a liability, much less dropping Field Gens from your Sci Console slots to add even more of it.

Last edited by ussultimatum; 10-23-2012 at 10:07 AM.
Starfleet Veteran
# 6
10-23-2012, 09:07 AM
I don't see these consoles being any different than those useless Interial Damper consoles.

People will stick to the usuals, unless there is other boosts with the console that encourages it's use. Like Hull Regen, Shield Boosts, or a critical increase.
Lieutenant
# 7
10-23-2012, 09:12 AM
if the console adds to your threat control skill wouldn't that invariably give you the extra damage resistance being that its part of the skill being boosted?
Starfleet Veteran
# 8
10-23-2012, 09:17 AM
Technically, but given console boosts are minor, you are better off using Shield Consoles or Armor Consoles for greater survivability.
Lieutenant
# 9
10-23-2012, 09:22 AM
i see, anyone know what the numbers on them are yet? because if implemented correctly, these could be a step in the right direction for tank cruisers
Career Officer
# 10
10-23-2012, 10:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bespin18 View Post
if the console adds to your threat control skill wouldn't that invariably give you the extra damage resistance being that its part of the skill being boosted?
I suppose that it's possible that these add both enough Threat Control to increase Resistance if you start with zero in Threat Control.

Making them something specific for characters that don't actually have Threat Control but sometimes want Threat Control without the skill.

In which case they are of little to no use with players who actually do have threat control, but act as an option for players that don't.

I personally think that's exceedingly niche, but it's at least plausible.