Career Officer
# 11
10-23-2012, 04:36 AM
I don't understand... You want a ship that is better than everything else? Then why would anyone fly anything else? And for PvE? Why would anyone want better ships for that? I sometimes take a T3 Raptor into the Elite STFs, just to feel like there's some opposition....

As for PvP, everyone would be flying the old "best of the best"ship.... Booooring...

As for getting one-shotted in PvE Elite content... frankly, you're doing it wrong... There is only one one-shotting ability in STO, the Borg/KDF-ISO-chain-charge in CSE. (and maybe Donatra unless you buff yourself a lot right before getting hit)

As for DC'ing... You speak about random disconnects? I'm seeing those veeeery infrequently... not even every month. And I'm halfway around the world from the servers... Maybe it's a problem with your end of the line?
Empire Veteran
# 12
10-23-2012, 05:11 AM
OP, you got one shot in a mission known for one-shotting players. Its been a complaint for sometime now.

There is nothing wrong with your ship and it will perform very well if set-up properly.
Roy Hatch (stryker) soldier, friend, and good man.
1945-2014
RIP
Career Officer
# 13
10-23-2012, 08:02 AM
The topic title is misleading. I thought it asking whether Star Trek (in general) would die, but you are, in fact, asking after the game. I don't see Cryptic getting past season 10 if they continue to ignore the players like they have been. I'm not playing the game much anymore because I've long been left unimpressed. I know a few other people who feel as I do, and can only assume there are many others that I do not know about, but who feel the same anyway.

The game had potential, the developers could have done a whole lot more, but they didn't. They focused on the Federation, they've destroyed Trek lore and they're more concerned with filling their wallets and purses than they are about providing to fanbase.
Career Officer
# 14
10-23-2012, 08:06 AM
Right, sometimes you even get oneshotted by invisible torpedoes.

That said, the failure rate (33%) you [OP] described for STF pugs is nowhere near what I experience. I can't speak for others, but I know I'm not that good and I can't recall when exactly was the last time I had to warp out of an elite space STF. So while the one-shots are to be expected, you probably should stick to non-elite STFs at least until you've got some better, more suitable gear (plasma-resistance is your friend), or maybe read up on them a little to make sure you're not making any mistakes, as the only garanteed constant in the STFs you're in, is your presence.

Your request for a floating fortress is rather pointless at any rate. Even if all the concerns about unfair competition and pay to win and whatnot are discarded, the truth is, if superships make it into the game, the devs will need to make content that'll be equally challenging for the superships as the current content is for the +1s. Cause for most people who play games, winning is no fun if you cannot lose. And I suspect you'll find yourself having the same problem all over again.
Reave

Last edited by hrisvalar; 10-23-2012 at 08:09 AM.
Starfleet Veteran
# 15
10-23-2012, 09:17 AM
OP, there's "better" ships, there's "superior" ships, there's "overpowered" ships, then there's a few categories with no formal name, then there's killing a mosquito with nuclear armageddon... then there's what you're asking.

All it takes for a ship to be superior is 10% here or there. Sometimes all it takes is the same numbers in different places. Or a power without a good counter. Or even just one with unusually good synergy.

I'd say the Odyssey is a lot more than 10% better than one of the stock ships on the RA token, even though it's only got a 10% stat advantage. If it had a 100% stat advantage like you suggest, it would be more like four or five times as good as those stock ships, simply shrugging off everything that challenges them and infinitely outmatching them in a PVP battle.
Captain
# 16
10-23-2012, 01:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dassemsto View Post
I don't understand... You want a ship that is better than everything else? Then why would anyone fly anything else? And for PvE? Why would anyone want better ships for that? I sometimes take a T3 Raptor into the Elite STFs, just to feel like there's some opposition....
Only sometimes ? Thats my bread-and-butter, try it with common gear for added fun.

As for getting one-shotted in STF's, don't park in front of those Negh'vars rookie.
KBF Lord MalaK
Awoken Dead

Contact support @ https://support.perfectworld.com/app/ask
to show your displeasure over the stealth mail attachment nerf
Career Officer
# 17
10-23-2012, 02:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordmalak1 View Post
Only sometimes ? Thats my bread-and-butter, try it with common gear for added fun.

As for getting one-shotted in STF's, don't park in front of those Negh'vars rookie.
Heh... right in fron of them is the best chance to survive.. by getting the first blast in the chain. Most dangerous is number 4 in the chain, and that one has a potential range of 20kms...
Starfleet Veteran
Let me think about this for a mo--

No. Star Trek is not going to die.

Next thread.

The Artist Formerly Known As Nikotaka ][ Join Date: Jan 2010
"Can anyone remember when we used to be explorers...?"
Commander
# 19
10-23-2012, 07:17 PM
If you're getting one shotted in an Odyssey, all I can say is: You're doing it wrong.

Properly outfitted and used properly, the Odyssey can take one hell of a beating. Only exception would be to the weapons that will kill you in one shot, such as the Negh'vars in CSE and Donatra.
Captain
# 20
10-23-2012, 07:23 PM
Star Trek will not die. It will however become akin to Star Wars.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. Comm. Pion
What should I wish upon the endless universe;
To be able to smile and forgive everything;
That's right, if we light up the dream in our hearts without averting our eyes;
We should be able to walk whatever tomorrow comes...

I am V. Adm. Kha Yuung, and I approve of this message.