Lieutenant
# 1 Engineer too weak
10-25-2012, 03:07 AM
With all these Tacs one shotting me I'm thinking about getting rid of my Engineer.
I have the Ultra-Rare Fleet shield which is worthless.
I also have the Honor Guard shield and weapon 2 pc set so far.

Shields get one shotted by Tacs. There does not seem to be any balance against the Tacs these days.

They need one shot and I need like 5 or 6 with various mk12 beams, rifles, doesn"t matter. Really dont want to go back to the drawing board with another toon.

The Engineers should have some way to counteract a Tac that can cloak and one shot us.
Least give me a viable JemHadar Mk12 kit so I'm not a sitting target.
Captain
# 2
10-25-2012, 05:17 AM
to be honest, engineers seem to be he least favourable class for ground combat. But getting oneshot is also a question of preperation and skill. The Tac needs to get close to you to oneshot you, engineers have mines, transphasic bombs to make this difficult for tacs.

Don't use a bunker or fabrication kit in PVP...those are support kits, not suited for 1vs1 combat.

you should be able, with the right kit, to counter his initial attack and outlast the tac, since he will eventually run out of heals...the engineer can hold his breath longer.
Use weapons with Knock back.

equipment technician or enemy neutralization kits are better suited for pvp than the others.
But serious ground PVP with an engi requires insane skill imho...better off with a sci or tac.

also doffs are essential, although most are suited for turret and drone fabrication...there are some others that help with the kits i posted above.
Go pro or go home

Last edited by baudl; 10-25-2012 at 05:22 AM.
Career Officer
# 3
10-25-2012, 08:23 AM
Mines, bombs and disable the tacts weapons.. they get helpless since they have no other way to damage you
Career Officer
# 4
10-25-2012, 08:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by baudl View Post

equipment technician or enemy neutralization kits are better suited for pvp than the others.
But serious ground PVP with an engi requires insane skill imho...better off with a sci or tac.

also doffs are essential, although most are suited for turret and drone fabrication...there are some others that help with the kits i posted above.
With the equipment technician kit, use diagnostic engineer doffs (you can stack three of them) with the equipment diagnostics power- each doff is a 35% chance of +50 ranged damage (which hilariously includes orbital strike). And the kit's other three abilities are great, too.
Career Officer
# 5
10-25-2012, 11:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by futurepastnow View Post
With the equipment technician kit, use diagnostic engineer doffs (you can stack three of them) with the equipment diagnostics power- each doff is a 35% chance of +50 ranged damage (which hilariously includes orbital strike). And the kit's other three abilities are great, too.
Yes!

Great kit.

My Eng seems to do just fine in ground combat, yes the tacs hurt but when their weps are shut down and you now do +50-+150 a shot.. they don't last long

And OP, maybe you need to pick a new shield. With better specific resists?
Commander
# 6
10-25-2012, 03:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by den3067 View Post
With all these Tacs one shotting me I'm thinking about getting rid of my Engineer.
I have the Ultra-Rare Fleet shield which is worthless.
I also have the Honor Guard shield and weapon 2 pc set so far.

Shields get one shotted by Tacs. There does not seem to be any balance against the Tacs these days.

They need one shot and I need like 5 or 6 with various mk12 beams, rifles, doesn"t matter. Really dont want to go back to the drawing board with another toon.

The Engineers should have some way to counteract a Tac that can cloak and one shot us.
Least give me a viable JemHadar Mk12 kit so I'm not a sitting target.
Please post your Ship, equipment, weapons,Bridge Officer powers (space), DOffs, and character spec. you shouldn't be getting OHKO'd by anything in space, save maybe a solidly buffed Tac/Scort running 3 Sub-nuc DOffs.

That said, Engineers are hardly weak, though encounter design in STO being what it is, particularly in STF's and fleet missions, they have to play a better game to keep up in PvE than Tacs. In PvP, they're the Captain to beat for healing, as they can go pretty much hog-wild tossing heals to teammates while still having the aces up their sleeve necessary to stay alive in a pinch.