Captain
# 21
10-25-2012, 01:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan218 View Post
Where is the honour in striking at a foe who cannot defend themselves!

Klingons kill no-one at the dinner table!
Alrighty then, if you must

QotDI' gheD tlhejbe' wamwI'.
The hunter does not lie down with the prey.

My personal favorite:

bIQongtaHvIS nItlhejchugh targhmey; bIvemDI' nItlhej ghIlab ghewmey.
If you sleep with targs, you'll wake up with glob flies.

Now who said one could not have fun in Klingon LMAO

Last edited by drkfrontiers; 10-25-2012 at 01:20 PM.
Rihannsu
# 22
10-25-2012, 01:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by partizan81 View Post
I thought Klingons and Romulans swapped warp drives for cloaking devices back in the days of early lore?
That was before Romulans took their birthright (Khitomer)
Career Officer
# 23
10-25-2012, 01:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drkfrontiers View Post
Personally I hope so. This is not the Romulans I know or desire. Everything about the Romulans surrounds their marshal history.

"By the 24th century, the government of Romulus is dependent upon the Tal Shiar, the Romulan Secret Police, to maintain order and stability among both civilians and the military. The Tal Shiar is known for its brutal tactics, which include routine kidnapping, torture, and assassination. Many Romulans fear even expressing dissenting opinions as not to spark the interest of the Tal Shiar. There also seems to be some degree of tension between the military and the Tal Shiar.

Romulan society is based upon a highly structured caste system. Unlike most of the highly evolved species in the Alpha and Beta quadrants, Romulans still practice slavery, and frequently use conquered races for forced slave labor and shock troops.

Romulans tend to be highly xenophobic, engaging in extended periods of isolationism, and can be perceived as outright racist to other species, believing themselves to be superior. At least some Romulans believe that one day the Romulan Empire will rule the entire galaxy.

Romulan society does not appear to be gender biased. Both males and females command warships, can obtain high political positions and can be members of the Tal Shiar."

I'm sorry, but somewhere down the line Cryptic have super-imposed the Cardassian Depata Council post-Dominion storyline over that of the Romulan.

They could have come up with something a little more original that "Please feed me."

If anything, one of the following would have fitted into the storyline:

A Romulan-Cardassian alliance would be more plausible, given that they aided one another during the Battle of the Omarion Nebula, and given that the Cardassian True Way are themselves trying to return Cardassia to militaristic rule.

The Klingon Empire cannot abide weakness. They would have launched at full scale attack against the Romulans when they were at their weakness not sent diplomats!

The Romulans efforts to subjugate the Reman's would have intensified. This makes the Remans appear on equal footing to the Romulans. They are not, and their own planet was also destroyed making them even weaker.

The Federation I could see living-up to the humanitarian effort.

This was a HUGE PvP opportunity, that Cryptic has failed to capture on. HUGE.
Did you miss one of the earlier Dev Blog posts? The Tal'Shiar is still out there. The rest of the Romulan Empire is descending into chaos and civil war as each faction tries to claim the now empty throne of the Empress. These romulans are but a small portion trying to break away from the rest and do something new. They've reached out to the Remans, yes, but that is probably equal parts pragmatism (there's a chance the Remans would go after them as "soft" targets) as it is out of genuine desire to reconcile with them.

On the subject of the Klingons sending diplomats though? Yeah, that's not J'mpok's style, but a lot of the lore we see seems to suggest that J'mpok is beginning to lose support amongst the great houses and this might be something done out of political necessity rather than any real desire to be diplomatic on his part. He's rash, hot-headed, and probably an Undine in disguise, but he's not stupid.
Captain
# 24
10-25-2012, 01:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by canis36 View Post
Did you miss one of the earlier Dev Blog posts? The Tal'Shiar is still out there. The rest of the Romulan Empire is descending into chaos and civil war as each faction tries to claim the now empty throne of the Empress. These romulans are but a small portion trying to break away from the rest and do something new. They've reached out to the Remans, yes, but that is probably equal parts pragmatism (there's a chance the Remans would go after them as "soft" targets) as it is out of genuine desire to reconcile with them.

On the subject of the Klingons sending diplomats though? Yeah, that's not J'mpok's style, but a lot of the lore we see seems to suggest that J'mpok is beginning to lose support amongst the great houses and this might be something done out of political necessity rather than any real desire to be diplomatic on his part. He's rash, hot-headed, and probably an Undine in disguise, but he's not stupid.
Yes, I did read the dev post and thats the part I have a problem with. Romulans are just too xenophobic. They would rather abide a tyrant than accept an olive branch. Those are resisted would have been rounded-up and slaughtered. Some real world examples "Romulan"-inspirations Gene drew from: Caesar. Nero. Napoleon. - these men would abide no equal. They would rather see they empire crumble that share power.

Shinzon's actions against the Romula Senate is keypoint here. The Romulan military exterminated them all because they refused to join forces with him.

Every Star Trek Romulan-archetype created plays out that "fight to the bitter end, no matter the cost."

Last edited by drkfrontiers; 10-25-2012 at 01:36 PM.
Rihannsu
# 25
10-25-2012, 01:28 PM
Quote:
... Yeah, that's not J'mpok's style, but a lot of the lore we see seems to suggest that J'mpok is beginning to lose support amongst the great houses and this might be something done out of political necessity rather than any real desire to be diplomatic on his part. He's rash, hot-headed, and probably an Undine in disguise, but he's not stupid.
But letting the Archenemy of the Empire in the Great Hall is the stupidest thing he could do. As he will loose his last support.
Captain
# 26
10-25-2012, 01:30 PM
And still...

Vaguely, I get a creeping idea in the back of my head, reading that.

How hilarious would it be if they dropped a playable Romulan faction on us, at S7 launch?

Most unlikely, granted, and a great feat of secrecy, but boy, would the playerbase be caught unawares.
Career Officer
# 27
10-25-2012, 01:36 PM
Quote:

I've been fuzzy on J'mpok anyway.

He's a warmonger but not a xenophobe. (I do feel like there are hints he's in the pocket of the Orion Syndicate, though and he's having Orions seduce his political rivals and sway them towards his positions.)

He's backed by the remnants of Duras but initiated war on the Romulans.

I'm going to say, too, that if you ignore most of the books and stick to the shows, it sure seems to me like you have Federation-friendly Klingons and Romulan-friendly Klingons and that they're opposed to one another no one should be opposed to both... and the idea that Klingons hate both groups seems to me to be a fan interpretation that's bled over from trying to reconcile Worf's prejudices with other Klingons' prejudices.

But that doing so is almost like saying that some Bargles (made up name) are plaid supremacists and some Bargles are plaid supporters who hate striped people, so Bargles must hate both plaid people and striped people.

I think the sounder interpretation is that you have pro-Romulan Klingons and you have pro-Federation Klingons and that there has always been and remains a rift there. Praxis and the movies overall caused the pro-Federation Klingons to come to power. The Romulans attacked Khitomer in response to that and the pro-Romulan Klingons were stripped of power and/or resorted to deception. With J'mpok, the pro-Romulan Klingons have reclaimed power from the pro-Federation Klingons.

I think a take like this is almost essential to understanding Duras or J'Dan.

And the books have tended to deviate and are just unfortunately being over-relied on as sources by Klingon and Romulan fans because they wouldn't have enough details to form a portrait of Klingon or Romulan culture from otherwise.
Lt. Commander
# 28
10-25-2012, 01:38 PM
So the romulan nonsense story continues. I guess that after s7 launch I'll have to stop reading the quest text boxes, this will improve my experience greatly.
I live in an alternate universe, where j.j. abrams and cryptic never existed,
where R.S.E. is what it always should be.
Career Officer
# 29
10-25-2012, 01:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drkfrontiers View Post
Yes, I did read the dev post and thats the part I have a problem with. Romulans are just too xenophobic. They would rather abide a tyrant than accept an olive branch. Those are resisted would have been rounded-up and slaughtered. Some real world examples "Romulan"-inspirations Gene drew from: Caesar. Nero. Napoleon. - these men would abide no equal. They would rather see they empire crumble that share power.

Shinzon's actions against the Romula Senate is keypoint here. The Romulan military exterminated them all because they refused to join forces with him.
So I suppose that any society which has been characterized by brutal oppressive regimes never changes? Never has any dissensters that fall through the cracks? Never has any opportunists that are willing to change their tune if it gets them out of the fire?

You're being far to narrow in your interpretations of the Romulan peoples and subscribing to the "Molothic Society" view that while prevalent in many Sci-Fi series is subverted as often as it is upheld in Star Trek. And with Romulan society coming apart at the seams as it has been since Shinzon staged his coup - Hobus only exacerbated the problem - you're going to see more of them willing to try new ways of doing things, especially if it means their skin stays intact just one day longer.
Career Officer
# 30
10-25-2012, 01:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonytevilo View Post
But letting the Archenemy of the Empire in the Great Hall is the stupidest thing he could do. As he will loose his last support.
See... This strikes me as the sort of thinking that creeps in from reading the books.

Going by the shows, the Romulans were and remained allies with a lot of powerful Klingons. It was people like Worf, Martok, and Gowron who were anti-Romulan.

But I don't think you can take them as wholly representative any more than you can take J'Dan and Duras as wholly representative.
Closed Thread