Career Officer
This post goes out to all those involved with decision making for Star Trek Online. I know that Daniel Stahl is the executive producer, and I know that Brandon Felczer is highly involved with the community, though I'm not aware of whether he is the man who makes the big content-driven decisions or whether that is Daniel Stahl ... or maybe someone else entirely.

Oddly enough, a specific part of this post would go out directly to Brandon Felczer because of his involvement in the question (I'll get to that in a minute). First things first though, I'm not going to go on a rant here, nor do I wish to complain about anything (I can do that elsewhere if I need too). What I am here for is a simple answer to a rather confusing situation, and I'd appreciate an answer that is honest, regardless of whether people are going to like it or not. I'd rather the question not be avoided, nor do I want to see an indirect answer.

Now to the matter in hand. Back on the 9th of September, specifically the Ask Cryptic September Posting (seen here: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...d.php?t=379951) came with a poll. The poll asked us (the community) quite simply what we wanted most out of 2013.

The three highest percentage votes (namely; a Playable Romulan Faction, a better-playable Klingon Faction, and more Feature Episodes) are what is most wanted by the community, with the Playable Romulan Faction scoring a good 10 - 15% more than the other two.

And for the question? I know it isn't 2013 yet, but with season seven on our doorstep, and looking at what you've currently done with the Romulan Empire / Independent Romulan Factions; it seems highly unlikely that there would be a fully playable Romulan Faction to utilize at a later date. You've essentially split the Romulan (and Reman) apart from not just each other, but themselves too. There no longer is an Empire, and whatever powerful remnants were left have now become... isolated.

Why, when it is obvious that people want a Romulan Faction (that is fully playable) do you choose to instead pick the faction apart and split whatever you would have had between the two already existing factions?

Last edited by flash525; 10-27-2012 at 09:59 AM. Reason: I'll have the initial subject back thanks!
Career Officer
# 2
10-27-2012, 09:24 AM
If you'd been on tribble today, you'd know that Obesik and the new Romulan leader are working very much together, to rebuild not only their world, but Romulan/Reman relations as a nation.

They aren't splitting the factions... In fact they are binding them closer together.
My name may say "PWE member", but I will never be.
-NEVER Forget the Screwups and ignorance made towards the people who supported the game through 2011
Don't look silly, don't call it "Zen-Store" - Don't waste devs time, Post proper bug-reports
Starfleet Veteran
# 3
10-27-2012, 09:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anazonda View Post
If you'd been on tribble today, you'd know that Obesik and the new Romulan leader are working very much together, to rebuild not only their world, but Romulan/Reman relations as a nation.

They aren't splitting the factions... In fact they are binding them closer together.
If I were a dev and was going to provide a race as a faction, I'd want that race to be pretty unified before offering it up to the players.
Career Officer
# 4
10-27-2012, 09:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by darramouss1 View Post
If I were a dev and was going to provide a race as a faction, I'd want that race to be pretty unified before offering it up to the players.
Seems thats what they are doing on tribble.
My name may say "PWE member", but I will never be.
-NEVER Forget the Screwups and ignorance made towards the people who supported the game through 2011
Don't look silly, don't call it "Zen-Store" - Don't waste devs time, Post proper bug-reports
Career Officer
# 5
10-27-2012, 09:57 AM
Quote:
That's a small percentage of a larger destroyed empire. Hardly a factions worth.

Quote:
They've already split the Empire. Those factions on New Romulus are the more peaceful kind who aren't going to be flying around in fleets causing trouble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darramouss1 View Post
Quote:
Seems thats what they are doing on tribble.
See above.

Also, would the forum moderator who changed the topic title change it back. I titled it as such so that I'd be more likely to actually get an answer. You've come along and changed it to just another subject and I don't appreciate that. Couldn't hurt to let yourself be known and issue a reason for your decision too.
Career Officer
# 6
10-27-2012, 10:49 AM
Do not. Ever. Put all your hopes on a Cryptic poll.

Cryptic's approach to polls thus far, the few times they have done them, has been to prioritize as follows: Whatever the community least wants, we do first. Cause for whatever came in 1st, they'll wait. They did it with the uniforms. They did it with the ships. And I'll bet they'll do it with this, if they do anything with it at all.

But just as an aside, a playable Romulan faction does not mean a playable Romulan star empire. The Tal'Shiar is a Romulan faction. The military is a Romulan faction. The Mining Guild is a Romulan faction. So really, nothing they've done excludes the possibility of ever having a playable Romulan faction. As long as there's a Romulan, there's hope.

That sounds just wrong.

Be wary of smurfs bearing gifts?

Better.

Anyway, I think it's still a bit early to consider the direction the Romulan plotline's developing to be cause for alarm.
Reave
Career Officer
# 7
10-27-2012, 10:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrisvalar View Post
Do not. Ever. Put all your hopes on a Cryptic poll.
I put my hope out for a Romulan faction (playable) long before I saw that poll. Besides, I'm here only to ask the reason that they've apparently chosen to not follow the long-term hope of a romulan faction.

Lets face it, everything they're doing with season 7 thus far just shouts 'we wont be working on that Romulan faction' and I think we deserve to know the reason why, regardless of whether we like that reason or not; at least we'll have one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrisvalar View Post
Anyway, I think it's still a bit early to consider the direction the Romulan plotline's developing to be cause for alarm.
To have everything already thrust onto us where the Romulans are concerned (with season 7) to release a Romulan faction a little further down the line... It just isn't going to be the same. It'll be equivalent to everyone playing season 7 on tribble now.

On the plus side, it means they can get all the weapons, uniforms, romulan/reman traits and such worked out before they throw them into a fully fledged faction, just, I don't see that faction coming to light, not now.
Republic Veteran
# 8
10-27-2012, 11:55 AM
Maybe instead of a Romulan faction we can get a Dark Secrets faction! Throw some Tal'Shiar in with a Resurrected Obsidian Order and or True Way...maybe some twisted dark pact with rogues of Section 31! It could be so evil! Muahahahaha.

Lol me being stupid but I too would love to see a Romulan faction some day. Who knows maybe over time the splintered old Romulans will see what the more peacefull sect of the race is doing ane one day will come and join with them again?

Last edited by lianthelia; 10-27-2012 at 11:59 AM.
Career Officer
# 9
10-27-2012, 12:48 PM
What concerns me is this idea Stahl mentioned a couple times that playable Romulans will just be some form of allies to the Fed or Klingons and not a full faction. IMHO this would be the worst implementation they could come up with and while I can see that Season 7 moves Romulans and Remans closer together (at least some groups), it concerns me that they give all this Romulan stuff to Feds and Klingons. It's like freely giving away everything unique a Romulan faction would offer and for me looks like all Cryptic needs to do now is offer playable Federation/Klingon Romulans and ships in the C-Store.

I'm quite sure people who want a Romulan faction want to play as Romulans/Remans with Romulan ships, doing things for the Romulan Star Empire and not as wannabe Feds/Klings. At least let me scan those 5 plants or kill those innocent Tribbles to benefit the Romulans not other powers in the quadrant.

Nobody, well probably not many, expect full PvE content from 0 to 50 for a third faction. It requires a lot of naivete to think Cryptic is able to deliver something like that. But honestly, all we need is access to the "endgame" content the Federation and KDF already has access to, a small territory on the game map, a couple ships and playable species. There is absolutly no need to bond Romulans to the other factions.
-----------------------
decker999
Starfleet Veteran
# 10
10-27-2012, 01:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by decker03 View Post
What concerns me is this idea Stahl mentioned a couple times that playable Romulans will just be some form of allies to the Fed or Klingons and not a full faction.
I'd rather this than them put a half-cooked faction. If they did the same thing to the Romulans that they did to the Klingons then you'd have two groups instead of one crying out for more content. One is far more than enough, thank you!!