Career Officer
# 1 T5 Romulan Rep Captain Power
10-26-2012, 01:54 PM
Quote:
The Romulan captain powers focus on critical damage vs. damage boosts, and the final click power that boosts all of your science stats by 100 for 5 seconds, allowing players to really boost the damage or debuff ability of whatever aux-based powers they can get off in that time.
Hoping a Dev can chime in on the concept behind this.

I'm not convinced this makes the most sense, for a few reasons:

1) This is the only T5 captain power from the Romulan Rep system.

2) It only benefits Science powers, and at that it only benefits Science powers that are Aux-based.

Doesn't that seem exceedingly niche for the only available T5 power?

I understand there is a lot of player sentiment to help bring Science boff powers and Sci ships up to par with other ships, and I am completely in favor of that.

I disagree that this is the best way to do it.

I think if this is the direction you want to take the T5 power, that there should be a power for each career path.

It seems very lopsided to favor only 1 discipline, and only 1 part of one career path at that.

Last edited by ussultimatum; 10-26-2012 at 01:57 PM.
Captain
# 2
10-26-2012, 02:19 PM
Compared to what? Boost Weapon power to those levels? Shield Power?
Career Officer
# 3
10-26-2012, 03:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by f2pdrakron View Post
Compared to what? Boost Weapon power to those levels? Shield Power?
I don't know, to be honest. I'm just tossing this out there.

What does a non-sci ship really care about this ability?

If this was a choice among several, that's one thing but this is the culmination of the T5 Romulan Rep system - and the value to non-sci ships or sci captains to a lesser extent is really tiny.

Commander
# 4
10-26-2012, 04:29 PM
What can a non sci user do with them?
well use his low lvl sci abilities, TSS1/2 with 200 in emitters is gonna heal like mad.
Captain
# 5
10-26-2012, 04:33 PM
I got the feeling that it was both to boost Science ships and to nudge non-sci captains into taking something other than HE and TSS in the Ens and Lt skill slots. Most of those low tier science oriented skills suck for a tac or eng because they have zero points in into improving them.
Career Officer
# 6
10-26-2012, 06:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hroothvitnir View Post
What can a non sci user do with them?
well use his low lvl sci abilities, TSS1/2 with 200 in emitters is gonna heal like mad.
I say that's insufficient for what is the only T5 Rep power available.

You need to spend a fair chunk of dilithium, in this system - the T5 power needs to be worth it for all ships & captains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xantris View Post
I got the feeling that it was both to boost Science ships and to nudge non-sci captains into taking something other than HE and TSS in the Ens and Lt skill slots.
There's still no reason to take anything other HE, TSS or maybe TB 1.

Starfleet Veteran
# 7
10-26-2012, 06:32 PM
Well, this power makes skills that are less useful to you atm useful. Isn't that pretty good?
You get a broader set of useful abilities instead of overpowering the already OP powers you got...

Plus, there is also the Omega Reputation power which is pretty awesome for a ground based clicky ad there will be more reputations in the future...

So this is just teh first stepping stone and you gotta start somewhere...
Captain
# 8
10-27-2012, 01:07 PM
I like the +100 boost to science skills, but I would really like for it to last for ten seconds instead of five, because with five you barely have enough time to click on one icon, much less triggering all of your science powers that don't share a cooldown.
Captain
# 9
10-27-2012, 02:21 PM
Yeah 5 seconds is way too littile, In fact given that all the heals share at least a 30 second global i'd say anything below 30 should be fine balance wise.
Cryptic Studios Team
# 10
10-27-2012, 02:35 PM
The T5 Romulan Rep ability is intended to be an "On Next Power" boost. Basically, you activate it, and your next ability that relies upon Science skills is vastly more effective.

We did not have an immediate solution to making a power that could remain on the player until their next power was activated, and then consume it. So the 5-second timer is by design to allow 1 or 2 power activation that are capable of benefiting from the boost.

It's not intended to turn you into Mr. Super Science for any duration. We can re-examine that if necessary, but I wanted to let everyone in on the actual design intent behind the ability first.

If this design intent means that we have to increase the bonus that this power grants, we'd love to hear suggestions as to how high it would need to be for it to be considered effective and desirable, without turning it into a 10-min Cooldown "I Win" button.

I'd like to reinforce the fact that this boost adds +100 to ALL Science Skills. This includes the skills that will increase effectiveness of Shield Heals, Current Shield HPs, Damage, Control and Energy/Shield Drains... but it also grants a massive boost to the RESIST skills that can help players escape or shrug off incoming control effects.
-=-=-=-=-=-
Jeremy Randall
Cryptic - Systems Design
"Play smart!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me
Kurland here...