Starfleet Veteran
It's been awhile, so I'd like to once again bring up the idea of making the Typhoon Battleship a playable ship for the federation. I know Cryptic is already working on their next C-store ship, the Vesta, but I'd still like to re-introduce the idea.

For the F2P crowd, and those not in the know, the Typhoon battleship is a model that's been in the game since day one and it used to be the most powerful federation NPC. Although it resembles a heavily armored Assault Cruiser it bears a distinctive nacelle design, housing a pair of nacelles on each pylon. Even now it seems like it's a developer favorite as it plays a central role in almost every fleet battle up to and including the 4400.

Now, I am aware the in game model is very reminiscent of the Assault Cruiser and in order to make a PC ship it would require SIGNIFIGANT work, I would love to have this ship in my fleet. A few of us have asked for a PC Typhoon on and off since C-store ships were first introduced and the idea usually doesn't get much attention from Cryptic. Originally, the rumor was the Typhoon would be the first Cruiser when the next tier of ships was released, but 3 years in I find it hard to believe that a new tier will ever come.

So what's left holding it back? In my opinion, interest. If enough people show they?d support the Typhoon Cryptic might take notice and actually put it on the schedule. There's never a guarantee, but there's always a chance. So, if you want to see the Typhoon as a player ship show your support here and let Cryptic know. You never know what might happen.

ADDENDUM
Before I even posted I realized the very first thing most people would ask is: Why? What would it offer compared to the AC-R or Gal-Dread? And that's a fair point.

Although the federation has a number of "Tactical Cruisers" they're still fairly balanced compared to some of their Klingon counterparts. The Typhoon could fill the same niche in the federation roster as the Bortas does in the Klingon, heavy Tactical and Engineering bias and very little science (as much as a 4/4/1 console setup). Combine that with very heavy shields and a slow turn speed and you have a reason why the Typhoon is the cornerstone of most NPC fleets.

This is just a suggestion/idea on how to make the Typhoon unique but you get the idea.

Last edited by wackywombat; 10-24-2012 at 09:56 AM.
Survivor of Romulus
# 2
10-24-2012, 10:12 AM
To me it looks more like an odyssey then anything else, just them to make its parts interchangeable and done.
Rihannsu
# 3
10-24-2012, 05:52 PM
I'll second the motion to create a playable Typhoon, or at least make it a ship costume for another top-level cruiser (though a new ship would do it more justice). Don't forget the Jupiter-class Dreadnought as well!!! (The U.S.S. San Jose and the Starfleet "boss" ship that appears in Fleet Alert)

Former/Cryptic Name: Captain_Hans_Langsdorff
Founding member, Special Service Squadron
"Fear God and Dread Nought." First Sea Lord, Adm. Jacky Fisher
Captain
# 4
10-25-2012, 01:29 AM
I always was happy when a Typhoon made an appearance in any of the huge storyline battles. It was obviously the lead ship of those fleets, and it was always one of the survivors, even when nothing else lived. I wanted to fly one for a while, then got an oddy and don't really care anymore. However, I still say, if the typhoon was made available for players to use, and it had a decent console setup, and BOff setup, I would probably get one.

And if it was as badass as the ones you are allied with/fight against on elite difficulty, then that's a guarantee to get one.
It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once.
Tired of Wasting EC and Time trying to get Superior Romulan Operative BOffs? Here's a cheap and easy way to get them, with an almost 100% chance of success.
Why the Devs can't make PvE content harder.
Career Officer
# 5
10-27-2012, 04:01 PM
Me being myself, I wholeheartedly support this. I can't wait to see the Jupiter and the Typhoon as playable ships!

-Quiiliitiila
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=91856067000&dateline=  1340218559
Vote YES to the Jupiter Class Dreadnought!
Don't know what it is? Visit my forum HERE
And now check out the new Jupiter Class Dreadnought forum HERE
Captain
# 6
10-27-2012, 05:02 PM
More on the Typhoon: http://www.stowiki.org/Typhoon_Class_Battleship

I think it's pretty ugly, personally, but I agree that if it's in the game it should be playable.
Say NO to mandatory Arc!
Captain
# 7
10-27-2012, 06:29 PM
Oh yes, lets give the Feddies another toy cruiser to keep them distracted, right? Maybe siphon a few more dollars out of their pockets, eh?

How about we stop giving the Feddies more and more ships (they have 70 throughout all tiers, KDF has 56 throughout all tiers), and focus on more meaningful content? Maybe improve the PvP options and PvP rewards? More STF maps/missions (like what they're doing with Into the Hive, but with space instead)? More gear options (like what they've done with giving each side access to the opposite side's STF gear sets), but with some actual creativity?