Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > PvP Gameplay
Login

Survivor of Romulus
I see many posters here stating that they are not enjoying their game time with PvP in STO any more. I can see why, but I think that these negative emotions are something that can be avoided in favor of having fun with the game again. Here is my advice on how to achieve that for you, without any dev typing a single line of code:

1. Don't take it too seriously. This is a game for entertainment. We do this because we want to have a fun time. It is not a secondary job, not a serious matter, and battles are just pixels on screens and bits in computers. Have fun with it, and laugh about goofy stuff that may happen. It is a game!

2. Enjoy what you have, don't think about what could be.
Sure, one can imagine lots of new stuff we'd want be able to play on. But what we already have is fun in itself, with maps that are useable, a queue system that can give you exciting game experiences sometimes, and the option to do private matches as well, even an open PvP zone! Enjoy that! It is fun, more Trek fun than any of us had four years ago.

3. There is always balance. And never.
In any game, you will see things that are "exploitable" or might lead to this or that option not being what you would want it to be. Sure, mechanics, rules and new gear might make certain ship types obsolete (at least for a while), or put certain captain types at a severe disadvantage. But from all the new or changed options, there will always emerge a new balance, a new way stuff can be done in the game. Finding that new balance can be fun!
Likewise, no two game mechanics can, by nature of the game being a dynamic system, ever be perfectly equal, or even be close to that. There is no balance other than the one we find while playing!

If you truly grasp what these three points mean, you will find a lot of fun in this awesome game.

Enjoy!
Career Officer
# 2
10-29-2012, 01:08 PM
Good post.

I've given up getting worried about the game for the same reasons. I still get annoyed occasionally but it's not earth shattering to me like it used to be. I just play other games if I get too annoyed with the game.

Click here and here if you are interested in learning more about PvP.
Captain
# 3
10-29-2012, 02:08 PM
Can't really say that STO reminds me all that much of Star Trek lol

vids and guides and stuff

[9:52] [Zone #11] Neal@trapper1532: im a omega force shadow oprative and a maoc elite camander and here i am taking water samples
Empire Veteran
# 4
10-29-2012, 02:09 PM
im not sure how your supposed to avoid feeling biter, angry and disappointed when something you enjoy is, by choice directly or indirectly, slowly made worse as time goes by. not improved, made worse. it doesn't mater if its a game or something more tangible, its something im invested in and the dev's choices continue to negatively effect it. and all we can do is watch it circle the drain.

we cant do anything but protest at this point, hoping something good will happen eventually, and trying to prevent some of the more overpowered things from ever going live.

but then theres the vesta. here is what we know, before seeing a single official stat.

its been said repeatedly that its a sci ship, meaning 6 weapons, com sci station, more maneuverable then a cruiser, innate subsystem targeting, and sensor analysis.

we also know thanks to tribble tool tips for 45 degree arc cannons and carrier pets that a multipurpose sci ship can use them. this is referring to the vesta.

that means a sci ship that has good maneuverability will have at least 1 hanger and be able to use DHCs. it can do everything, it wasn't even this much of a mary sue in it's books. unless it has stats like a bop, and it wont, think recon sci stats, its going to be the most overpowered thing ever introduced.

and pvp does another lap around the toilet bowl.
gateway links-->Norvo Tigan, Telis Latto Ruwon, Sochie Heim, Solana Soleus
Captain
# 5
10-29-2012, 02:13 PM
I really don't get all the complaints about the Vesta...

...when you consider there will likely be a Fleet Vesta down the road.

Besides - what about the Andorian battlecruiser later this year?
Commander
# 6
10-29-2012, 03:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by virusdancer View Post

Then allow me to enlighten you, young one. PvP thrives on tactical and strategic choices, using ability choice, gear choice, Captain choice, ship choice, and the almighty teamwork combination of those choices to force situational imbalances in your ("your" and "you" are used in the context of a team of players) favor while attempting to turn over situations where you would be at a disadvantage. This all occurs in a mostly blind situation where you can't see with certainty anything other than your opponent's Captain and Ship types until after the initiate.

When you add ships like the Vesta (looks, at the moment) that are well rounded without clear significant weaknesses, you get a tool that is extremely powerful and one that mostly obosoletes other tools given that it has fewer weaknesses relative to its strengths, which directly translates to having the upper hand in more situations, and being wrong footed in fewer, before combat ever takes place.
Captain
# 7
10-29-2012, 03:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by virusdancer View Post

Alright, but seriously a hangar bay on the Vesta? Ew.

vids and guides and stuff

[9:52] [Zone #11] Neal@trapper1532: im a omega force shadow oprative and a maoc elite camander and here i am taking water samples
Captain
# 8
10-29-2012, 03:58 PM
well, and here i thought this was gonna be a troll thread.
Captain
# 9
10-29-2012, 04:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shimmerless View Post
Alright, but seriously a hangar bay on the Vesta? Ew.
For well over a year there's been talk of the Vesta being a shuttlecarrier - before the Atrox - before the Armitage... there was the Vesta. A Sci Tactical Fed Carrier... it's been in the works for how long now?

Why are people acting like this was the first mention of it? It's been the discussion for as long as I can remember... January was the 3rd anniversary for the ship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair114 View Post
Then allow me to enlighten you, young one.
I admit it - I lol'd at this.
Captain
# 10
10-29-2012, 04:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair114 View Post
Then allow me to enlighten you, young one. PvP thrives on tactical and strategic choices, using ability choice, gear choice, Captain choice, ship choice, and the almighty teamwork combination of those choices to force situational imbalances in your ("your" and "you" are used in the context of a team of players) favor while attempting to turn over situations where you would be at a disadvantage. This all occurs in a mostly blind situation where you can't see with certainty anything other than your opponent's Captain and Ship types until after the initiate.

When you add ships like the Vesta (looks, at the moment) that are well rounded without clear significant weaknesses, you get a tool that is extremely powerful and one that mostly obosoletes other tools given that it has fewer weaknesses relative to its strengths, which directly translates to having the upper hand in more situations, and being wrong footed in fewer, before combat ever takes place.
hrm, well, the poster above me lol'd at this....i hope it was just that line....

because it is very clear to me that corsair has a great understanding of team dynamics, and the need for more class based ships vs the "one ship to rule them all" mindset.

very well stated corsair.

have fun kill bad guys