Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > The Art of Star Trek Online
Login

Captain
Or at least it makes the game incredibly monochromatic.

The biggest problem I have with this game (Besides everything being off scale) is that everything has too much of one colour. Federation areas are too blue, Klingon environments are too red, the Borg have way too much gray, and the new Romulan Zone has too much Cyan. Simply put, this game needs a much more variable colour pallet.

In the series, Federation ships had much warmer interiors with Gray, Tan, and Off-White walls with orange, gray or red carpeting. Federation areas in game (the starbases in particular) seem far too cold, professional and uninviting. You would think that the Federation with its message of "Welcome Everyone" (and now, with its desperate need of allies) they would make all but the pure warships as inviting as possible.

And the Borg are supposed to be scary! Gray is not scary. We need more black, more leather, more fog, more garish orange accent lights. The Borg aren't really scary because they don't look scary. The Borg environments should look like "What Lies Beneath" with more green and fog.
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.
Career Officer
# 2
10-29-2012, 03:55 PM
I agree CS, mby we can push tacofangs into adjusting the overall atmosphere in each area after he and the art team are done with any texture fixes they have goin atm.

I personally would like to see a darker feeling to the area's as the lighting in gen can be a tad too much (esp considering how much the bloom is even at 100%).
Click to visit Subspace-Radio
Twitter | Blog | Original Join Date: Dec 2007 | Gaming Setup | Raptr Profile | Gamer DNA
The opinions expressed in my posts are my own views and do not reflect on any other entity(s) or person(s) I may or may not represent at the time.
Lt. Commander
# 3
10-29-2012, 04:09 PM
In the design's defense, the time period is as close to TNG/DS9/VOY (which all had their own aesthetics) as the trio is to TOS - the visual difference between those two periods is fairly large, so it makes sense they've advanced it.

That said, interior customization {Yes, please.}
Commander
# 4
10-29-2012, 08:10 PM
IMO the problem is the overall actual pallet of colors they use. There are certain colors that just can't seem to be replicated that are commonly used colors. As someone who worked in color printing for a long time, I find myself staring at the color pallet while designing outifts for my toon wondering why they don't have a more XXXXXX based system like so many other games.

Overall I find the colo0r in general (primarily on ground maps) to seem a bit grayed out and faded compared to other games I play that have bolder colors. Everything here (again mostly on ground maps) seems to have been done with pastel pencils rather than bold, bright color.
Captain
# 5
10-30-2012, 07:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by th3xr34p3r View Post
I agree CS, mby we can push tacofangs into adjusting the overall atmosphere in each area after he and the art team are done with any texture fixes they have goin atm.

I personally would like to see a darker feeling to the area's as the lighting in gen can be a tad too much (esp considering how much the bloom is even at 100%).
Why can't we have more stuff like Hathon? That has great atmosphere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassguitar View Post
IMO the problem is the overall actual pallet of colors they use. There are certain colors that just can't seem to be replicated that are commonly used colors. As someone who worked in color printing for a long time, I find myself staring at the color pallet while designing outifts for my toon wondering why they don't have a more XXXXXX based system like so many other games.

Overall I find the colo0r in general (primarily on ground maps) to seem a bit grayed out and faded compared to other games I play that have bolder colors. Everything here (again mostly on ground maps) seems to have been done with pastel pencils rather than bold, bright color.
I think the game is rather colourful, but I will agree about many environments being grayed out. Like the Borg ones as I previously mentioned. Gray is not a scary colour.
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.
Captain
# 6
10-30-2012, 08:53 PM
I agree CS, the Borg (let's take their ships for example) should be a deep grayish-black with glowing dark green lights throughout (the cubes also need to be bigger). I want to experience that feeling from the shows, like when you see the Cube pass right next to Voyager in a nebula that you can't see far in (Endgame). The game in general needs richer colors.
Quote:
Originally Posted by askray View Post
YAY I'M EVOLVED! *drools on his chin*
Quote:
Originally Posted by voporak View Post
Welcome to the STO forums, where the evolutionary clock ticks backwards.
The Forgotten Battle - a new Foundry mission
Check out my STO Youtube channel!
Why are you hovering over my signature? Play my foundry missions! :-)
Cryptic Studios Team
# 7
10-30-2012, 09:10 PM
Darkness is an inside joke at Cryptic. All of the higher ups, designers, and to some extent, programmers think that the artists always make things too dark. We're always fighting to get more range in the atmosphere and contrast into our maps, but it often ends up being tone down before being released.

As for colors. . . ya, there is a certain amount of monochromaticism (is that a word?) that goes on. Many times this is due to people trying to evoke some specific feeling/emotion. "We want this map to feel cold." it all ends up being blue. "We want this map to feel spooky." It ends up being grey, and having a lot of fog. I think it's something we always struggle with.

For New Romulus, the Lead's original intent was to make the planet surface feel fairly alien, without going to the standard tropes of giant mushroom trees, or floating plants. We still ended up with the trope of glowing plants, which isn't my favorite, but I think they're subtle enough to not be overbearing.

We attempted a hue shift, making the water/sky purple, and the plants blue/green, but that ended up feeling too much like we literally hue shifted it in photoshop, so we've been working our way back from that, and you can see that the trees are more yellow/green, and saturated than they used to be. . . . well, maybe you can't see that, I don't remember what you guys first got on tribble. Anyway, it was. Often the approach we take on the Art team is to push something too far, and then inch our way back across that line. Rather than starting in a safe zone and inch toward too far.

In the mean time, I have shipped one of these to each one of you. Please attach it to your monitor, and enjoy.
-The Artist formerly known as Tumerboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightybobcnc View Post
Tacofangs, what is your beef with where's Sulu?
Survivor of Romulus
# 8
10-30-2012, 09:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacofangs View Post
In the mean time, I have shipped one of these to each one of you. Please attach it to your monitor, and enjoy.
Uuuugh. Too much simultaneous contrast. My eyes... they bleed.
Lt. Commander
# 9
10-30-2012, 09:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacofangs View Post
...huh. My gamma was off, flattening the low end. Thanks, I think.
Career Officer
# 10
10-30-2012, 11:11 PM
It's pretty clear they want each faction to have its own "theme color," and the Romulans' theme color happens to be cyan.

The Borg get a different shade of green, Cardassian stuff is yellow-orange or rust brown, KDF is red, etc.

Obviously there's some canon precedent for this, but I think the game takes it a bit too far.