Ensign
# 111
10-27-2012, 07:25 AM
Hey, I just wanted to give some feedback on what happened to me when upgrading from UMV 1.4.1 to UMV 1.5.1 under 10.8.2. 1.4.1 had allowed me to get to the login screen, and thus had allowed me to patch the actual game executable to the latest version. In other words, I was trying to open the game after a quadruple upgrade: Wineskin, the STO wrapper (UMV), STO itself and Mountain Lion.

Following the instructions included with the UMV, I simply dropped the folder called "Cryptic Studios" from STO UMV 1.4.1 > drive_c > Program Files into STO UMV 1.5.1 > drive_c > Program Files.

Then I clicked on the "Star Trek Online" icon. And waited. And waited. And seriously NOTHING happened for about 10 minutes. The only indication that anything might have been working is that "Star Trek Online" appeared in the "Force Quit" list. That's all.

After about 10 minutes, I finally got a screen that said that my hardware wasn't recognised and that I'd have to choose between default or lowered settings. This happened all the time with 1.4.1, so I knew to hit "default". (That said, I've been able to run the game no matter what settings I choose, even if I set everything to the highest extreme.)

Passing this hurdle, it gave me the login screen "proper", checked for patches, and then allowed me to login. The black "Cryptic" screen came up and held there for about 10 minutes. On the other side of this screen, I was told my login credentials weren't valid, so I entered them again, and was given access to my characters. From there, it's been smooth sailing.

The point is that, following an update to 1.5.1, it can be a 20-30 minute wait from the time you press "Star Trek Online" until Star Trek is actually online -- even on higher end Mac Pro Servers.
Career Officer
# 112
10-27-2012, 09:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainmann View Post
Ok, thanks for getting back to us. I can run it fine on Windows XP through VMWare on the same machine, so I'm guessing the nvidia card isn't an issue because VMWare involves a virtual graphics card?

Should the Cryptic Studios folder keep all the game files in the same places as it would if played on Windows? Because I've transferred the folder between VMWare and my Mac and they don't detect any patched files if they were patched on the other OS and have to patch everything again. (Even though the game folder is still taking up the 10GB that it is supposed to, more data gets added on... So the data IS there) All other games I've played with ports have had all files within the game folder in the same place so it can be transferred between operating systems and the game still runs... It may or may not be normal, but I don't know too much about ports.
Moving the folder around isn't a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlainan View Post
Hey, I just wanted to give some feedback on what happened to me when upgrading from UMV 1.4.1 to UMV 1.5.1 under 10.8.2. 1.4.1 had allowed me to get to the login screen, and thus had allowed me to patch the actual game executable to the latest version. In other words, I was trying to open the game after a quadruple upgrade: Wineskin, the STO wrapper (UMV), STO itself and Mountain Lion.

Following the instructions included with the UMV, I simply dropped the folder called "Cryptic Studios" from STO UMV 1.4.1 > drive_c > Program Files into STO UMV 1.5.1 > drive_c > Program Files.

Then I clicked on the "Star Trek Online" icon. And waited. And waited. And seriously NOTHING happened for about 10 minutes. The only indication that anything might have been working is that "Star Trek Online" appeared in the "Force Quit" list. That's all.

After about 10 minutes, I finally got a screen that said that my hardware wasn't recognised and that I'd have to choose between default or lowered settings. This happened all the time with 1.4.1, so I knew to hit "default". (That said, I've been able to run the game no matter what settings I choose, even if I set everything to the highest extreme.)

Passing this hurdle, it gave me the login screen "proper", checked for patches, and then allowed me to login. The black "Cryptic" screen came up and held there for about 10 minutes. On the other side of this screen, I was told my login credentials weren't valid, so I entered them again, and was given access to my characters. From there, it's been smooth sailing.

The point is that, following an update to 1.5.1, it can be a 20-30 minute wait from the time you press "Star Trek Online" until Star Trek is actually online -- even on higher end Mac Pro Servers.
Thats a bit odd... I tried the same thing on my main machine after upgrading and it was pretty fast. It also shouldn't be able to ask you the defaut or lower question until after you press Engage...
Ensign
# 113 Version notes?
10-28-2012, 10:32 AM
Doh123,

Do you post version notes with each update of the wrapper? I'm running 1.4.1 but see there is now version 1.5.1. How can I tell what is new?
EB
Career Officer
# 114
10-28-2012, 10:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by beyere View Post
Doh123,

Do you post version notes with each update of the wrapper? I'm running 1.4.1 but see there is now version 1.5.1. How can I tell what is new?
EB
mainly just some stability from that version to the 1.5 series... plus OS X 10.8 supported better.

Also 1.5.1 had a bug fix in it because earlier versions will not run right at all on 10.7.5+ and 10.8.2+ due to a bug that was undiscovered until Apple changed some stuff in those updates. Normally I had just been posting whats new when i updated the thread about them and posted... in the old thread... so thats not all that easy to find.
Ensign
# 115
10-29-2012, 10:19 PM
As of yesterday (10/28) sometime when I try and open the game nothing happens. Every now and then it does open but when it does, nothing happens after I hit ENGAGE. No questions about my graphics or anything. It doesn't even get to the Cryptic screen. It just sits there doing nothing.
Career Officer
# 116
10-30-2012, 05:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifecrux177 View Post
As of yesterday (10/28) sometime when I try and open the game nothing happens. Every now and then it does open but when it does, nothing happens after I hit ENGAGE. No questions about my graphics or anything. It doesn't even get to the Cryptic screen. It just sits there doing nothing.
not much info to go on... make sure your running the latest version of the wrapper... and that you've rebooted your machine. You might need to try the Options and do a verify on the files... or try Safe Mode.
Ensign
# 117
10-30-2012, 09:11 AM
Im stuck....

Sorry have returned to a mac after many years...

I downloaded the zip file and cant get past after opening the zip file...

what do i need to do!!!
Career Officer
# 118
10-30-2012, 09:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by captbond28 View Post
Im stuck....

Sorry have returned to a mac after many years...

I downloaded the zip file and cant get past after opening the zip file...

what do i need to do!!!
read the directions that are in the zip file.
Ensign
# 119
10-30-2012, 09:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by therealdoh123 View Post
read the directions that are in the zip file.
I done that but it not letting me do anything... it asking me to place the file some where and it doesnt say where etc
Career Officer
# 120
10-30-2012, 12:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by captbond28 View Post
I done that but it not letting me do anything... it asking me to place the file some where and it doesnt say where etc
thats no descriptive enough to know what your having a problem with... you need to be more descriptive. I don't recall the directions saying to put any file anywhere...