Lieutenant
# 11
10-31-2012, 01:34 AM
Okay, it looks like I'm half wrong, half right. Memory alpha and beta stipulate copper based blood. My mistake. But there are some conflicts as well. In the ENT novels The Good That Men Do through The Romulan War part II, Charles Tucker, working undercover disguised as a Romulan, has to keep taking sulfur peptide drugs, or something like that, to keep his blood green. That, and copper based blood really is blue. Look at the wikipedia entry for Hemocyanin. Sigh; it looks like I found a flaw in the Trek-verse. Oh well. I'm still looking forward to battling these ugly things.
Empire Veteran
# 12
10-31-2012, 01:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacofangs View Post
Besides, Hemocyanin is just what we know of on Earth. Who's to say that on Vulcan, or Romulus, there isn't some other copper carrying protein that looks more greenish?
Tumer the TACO Fan has a very valid point, one that I share with. Alien protein is just that, ALIEN.

What we can rely on is Star Trek Canon, regardless of any apparent contradictions, also keep in mind that novels and games are considered soft canon.
Career Officer
# 13
10-31-2012, 02:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by devencombs View Post
In the ENT novels The Good That Men Do through The Romulan War part II, Charles Tucker, working undercover disguised as a Romulan, has to keep taking sulfur peptide drugs, or something like that, to keep his blood green. That, and copper based blood really is blue.
I didn't read the novel but I have to make a small note: Trip probably had to take sulfur peptide drugs because he hasn't any trace of the copper based proteins in his blood, so the easiest way to turn his blood green was to make him assume something like Hemocyanin that - maybe - won't kill him and make the trick.
We don't know if there's a copper based protein that Trip could assume to turn his blood green, so that would foul even a more fine check that the "color's right" one, and that wouldn't kill the man. Maybe there isn't (or there wasn't at the time) and sulfur peptide were the only options.

Or maybe we are Trek fans... so we live for this kind of debate!
Lieutenant
# 14
10-31-2012, 02:18 AM
Um they went after SALT i thought. Maybe have to watch it again but Salt tablets were used to Expose the creature.
Empire Veteran
# 15
10-31-2012, 02:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jafobss1701 View Post
Um they went after SALT i thought. Maybe have to watch it again but Salt tablets were used to Expose the creature.
Huh?

Think you're on the wrong thread or subject matter. We are talking about Romulan blood, not the Salt Eating TOS Creature.
Captain
# 16
10-31-2012, 03:52 AM
Since when was it Sulphur based?
They've always been recognised as having Copper blood along with the Vulcans.

Cryptic! Need some FREE KDF uniform options that you wont have to make? See Here.
JJ. Trek is just as canon and awesome as all other Trek, Get over it.
Unofficial Bortasq' Uniform colour guide here.
Lt. Commander
# 17
10-31-2012, 04:19 AM
It seems that whoever did the write up for the new zone kind of mixed up the dikironium cloud creature from "Obsession" and the salt vampire from "The Man Trap"

Also, though copper based, Vulcans and Romulans may have other factors in their blood that may make it green that an earth octopus or squid doesn't have.

For example, it could be that the blood plasma is a rich yellow color, and that mixed with the BBC's, makes the blood green.
Republic Veteran
# 18
10-31-2012, 04:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nileight1 View Post
It seems that whoever did the write up for the new zone kind of mixed up the dikironium cloud creature from "Obsession" and the salt vampire from "The Man Trap"

Um.... mix up? How about genetic engineering?

Do people not have imaginations any more? Or perhaps they lack comprehension?

Being a slave to canon shows both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Trek Online's Own Dev Blog!

We don?t believe that a creature like that would attack a Romulan, though ? their blood is copper based and wouldn't sustain the creature. But if someone used the DNA of the M-113 creature to genetically engineer a similar creature that could be unleashed on a population?

See that? A new and interesting idea... Genetically modified blood-suckers. Boldly going forward rather than quoting canon and scripture. ALSO, unless there is a mistake in-game somewhere... The DEV BLOG episode clearly states COPPER.

Ayup. Reading is fundamental. COPPER. not sulfur.

If you want a small universe that references itself every chance it gets pick up a ST novel. Don't sit here and discourage the devs when they try to expand the game.
-------------
ISE ISE Ba-bee. "If you got the Borg yo... I'll solve 'em check out this shot while my torpedos dissolve 'em"
Rihannsu
# 19
10-31-2012, 06:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkstarkirian View Post
Vulcan blood was copper-based and was copper- or rust-colored when deoxygenated in the veins and green when oxygenated in the arteries (although it is unclear if this transport mechanism was a hemocyanin as in Earth molluscs). Bruises and dermal abrasions took on a greenish color. (TOS: "The Naked Time", "Patterns of Force"; DS9: "Field of Fire"; VOY: "Repression"; ENT: "In a Mirror, Darkly, Part II");
Actually... it's NOT Hemocyanin at all. The distiguishing characteristic of the Acamarian race was that the oxygen carrying protein complex in their blood their blood contains both iron and copper. The Vulcan/Romulan equivalent of hemoglobin apparently has no iron in it.

that being said.... Andorians and Bolian are known to have blue blood....

See: http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Blood
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Starfleet Veteran
# 20
10-31-2012, 10:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by markhawkman View Post
Actually... it's NOT Hemocyanin at all. The distiguishing characteristic of the Acamarian race was that the oxygen carrying protein complex in their blood their blood contains both iron and copper. The Vulcan/Romulan equivalent of hemoglobin apparently has no iron in it.

that being said.... Andorians and Bolian are known to have blue blood....

See: http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Blood
It's not a get out of jail free card, though. There is a family of metalloproteins that contain copper but no iron, Plastocyanin, used for electron transfer in plants. They're also blue.