Career Officer
# 11
10-31-2012, 09:20 AM
Should Disney buy the rights and licenses to Star Trek?

I'd rather swim on the surface of the Sun than see Star Trek bought from Paramount by Disney.
Vice Admiral Triela - Proud member of Valhalla's Rising
██ ██ U.S.S. Protos Heis ██ ██
Lieutenant General - Scheherazade - Honorable warrior of Sto'Vo'kor's Rising
██ ██ I.K.S. Protos Heis ██ ██
Career Officer
# 12
10-31-2012, 09:23 AM
I got a better idea! Now that Lucas is swimming in Disney money.....what if George Lucas buys Star Trek! ha ha ha ha!
Career Officer
# 13
10-31-2012, 09:47 AM
After Lens Flare `09, I don't see how Disney could do any worse. Seeing Tinkerbell in the transporter glow would be kinda cool funny.
I miss my _.
Rihannsu
# 14
10-31-2012, 10:36 AM
I think they should, get it out of the hands of CBS! After all we all know they are against Science Fiction shows after all look at their SyFy Channel its not Science Fiction anymore its Science Fantasy! I would like to see Star Trek go to Disney! I believe they can do a better job with the franchise!
Empire Veteran
# 15
10-31-2012, 10:53 AM
I hate the SyFy channel. They completely sold out on what the market petitioned for back when they where just getting started as a possible station on cable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by staq16 View Post
The Federation may have all the superficial attention - but the game engine has a Klingon heart that lives only for battle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by smiecho View Post
I'm seroiusly thinking about leaving this game for a while.
Captain
# 16
10-31-2012, 10:57 AM
First off, I thought NBC, not CBS, owns SyFy...

Secondly, Disney owns ABC already. FCC's not gonna let Disney get both CBS & ABC. That, and I don't think Disney's planning on selling off ABC and all it's assosciated stuff (Like ESPN, NFL Network, MLB Network, etc.)
Well, with the upgrade announcement leaving NX and Connie fans in the dust again, can we restart / revisit the T5 Connie and NX threads - since they will no longer be "truly" endgame ships... (after we get the T5 versions, it'll be time to see them added to the T5U upgrade charts too...
Captain
# 17
10-31-2012, 11:21 AM
We are not saying Disney buy the rights to CBS, just the rights to Star Trek only. I like others think it will be treated far far better in the Disney hands, and maybe we will see more movies and TV shows made once they get it. Disney paid for Lucasarts not to sit on the namebrand, but they got it to make money off the brand. A new movie is on the table now, and the ink has not dried on the paperwork yet. So I can see disney taking the Star Wars ball and running with it majorly. So why not dream of them getting Star Trek too? It would be a far better thing vs what we are getting now. Let Paramount keep their version of Star Trek, and I say let Disney buy the TV rights and give us new shows on ABC.
Career Officer
# 18
10-31-2012, 11:23 AM
As others have said, CBS and Paramount would have to want to sell themselves (or their stales in the two Star Trek franchises that currently exist) to Disney. Honestly, since neither of them are singly owned by a man in his 6Oies who wants to retire and who no longer wants to run said companies, I don't think we'll see 'Disney's Star Trek' anytime soon.
Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012 http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=91861979000&dateline=  1340755546
PWE Drone says: "Your STO community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
Captain
# 19
10-31-2012, 11:54 AM
We didn't think Marvel would sell to Disney, but that happened. So why shouldn't a sale of the Star Trek name be any different? Just because you have to deal with two companies for the same name rights, doesn't mean it can't happen. Again maybe Disney could gain control of the TV rights for now, and work on the movie rights later. Or just stick with the TV rights only. I know if it means getting Trek back on TV, I am all for it.
Super Moderator
# 20
10-31-2012, 12:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nynik View Post
I'd really like to see Star Trek's rights consolidated. Paramount having a say on whether CBS can explore a TV show reboot sickens me.
Totally agree... The legal spaghetti that currently sums up the IP rights is ridiculous.

That said, I do not think I want Paramount to be the ones with all the rights. I'd rather see CBS licensing movie rights out to a producer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crypticarmsman View Post
As others have said, CBS and Paramount would have to want to sell themselves (or their stales in the two Star Trek franchises that currently exist) to Disney. Honestly, since neither of them are singly owned by a man in his 6Oies who wants to retire and who no longer wants to run said companies, I don't think we'll see 'Disney's Star Trek' anytime soon.

A pragmatic and honest assessment.

But what if? What if Star Trek could be run like Marvel Studios is being run?

If anyone could make that work, they could take lessons from Disney about how to run creative and profitable franchises. It's not like they'd retcon Vulcans into having "Mickey Mouse" ears.
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online forums -- My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a "forums and website" support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek