10-31-2012, 02:19 AM
I for one, would like to see more of a grimdark sto
I drink, I vote, and I PvP!
Career Officer
# 12
10-31-2012, 04:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacofangs View Post
the standard tropes of giant mushroom trees, or floating plants.
giant mushrooms...

you know there is a joke going around because in The Cure ground STF are giant assimilated mushrooms, that the Borg need real big mushrooms to get the collective high.

And Risa, wich imho the #1 spot for giant pineapples always remembers me of Super Mario Land.

One thing i would propose is to do less of these alien forests, but more SciFi Ship/Station interiors that can compete with the quality of Facility 4028.
If Mass Effect got one thing right it was the SciFi feel of the Levels and Visuals.
A purple lava rock is not alien or scifi to me, that looks like some Fantasy island to me.
Facility 4028 was one of the few times where i really felt like in a SciFi game.

The FED Ships are ok, but they are so common that it isn't really that interesting to see more FED architecture. Any Alien ship interior, be it a Klingon, Cardassian or Deferi Ship always looks like some old rust bucket, that doesn't give me much of a SciFi feel either.

Granted in a big galaxy there will be lots of Trees, no matter what color, but i really feel a lack of good modern alien techy SciFi-ish interiors in STO (if you ignore the Federation interiors).

I want to see more things like Facility 4028 and less things like... assimilated mushrooms and purple lava rocks please.

Oh and while i'm at it....

ASTEROIDS.... can you make em move?
Tribble-PhysX would be epic (crash in one with your ship, your shields glow and push the asteroid away) / or at least add a slight spinning movement to every Asteroid?

The Asteroid fields in STO just feel so ...static ...dead ...some movement would really make them feel ALIVE.

example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLQ7MeNgQWE

well maybe not THAT much movement

but this would do nicely for STO:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WT4AWsNCego

Last edited by zerobang; 10-31-2012 at 04:53 AM.
Cryptic Studios Team
# 13
10-31-2012, 08:53 AM
I can make asteroids move, but their collision can't move with them, which means you'd be running into invisible geometry, and clipping through the asteroid that isn't in it's starting position anymore.
Only YOU can prevent forum fires!

Captain
# 14
10-31-2012, 09:09 AM
Just as most all other graphical related things in STO, the UI "theme" colors are way over the top.
I don't know how things are being decided at cryptic, but design related things should be made by someone who has at least a clue about colors.
My 8 year old nephew would just paint the UI into the faction color, but i expect something more advanced from professional game designers.

You could have created something like a LCARS color palette for every species, which DOESN'T consist just of different shades of one color . I don't think that would be too much to estimate.
Sometimes if i am in a twisted mood, i try to play my Klingon character. But as soon as i see that UI, i rater play some other game, it just hurts my eyes.

BTW: is there any chance to make interiors a bit more to scale in STO 2?

-> -> -> STO players unite and say NO to ARC <- <- <-
T6 Guardian Class design / A 25th century Ambassador refit
Career Officer
# 15
10-31-2012, 12:24 PM
Quote:
I can make asteroids move, but their collision can't move with them, which means you'd be running into invisible geometry, and clipping through the asteroid that isn't in it's starting position anymore.
See... That's interesting.

Now, you could despawn an asteroid and spawn another one nearby. I've played with that in the Foundry for moving lifts.

Or... Despawn asteroid, create moving asteroid in its place, replace with solid asteroid at destination.
Captain
# 16
10-31-2012, 04:33 PM
Quote:
As for colors. . . ya, there is a certain amount of monochromaticism (is that a word?) that goes on.
Should be, certainly describes this game. I think you guys should try to go for less evoking emotion, and more what looks natural. Make environments like this, and let me determine what ever feelings I have about it on my own. The attempt to force it is only evoking primal rage.

Quote:
Could you at least make them not glow? I beg of you?

Quote:
For New Romulus, the Lead's original intent was to make the planet surface feel fairly alien, without going to the standard tropes of giant mushroom trees, or floating plants. We still ended up with the trope of glowing plants, which isn't my favorite, but I think they're subtle enough to not be overbearing.
Don't be silly Taco, everyone knows that outer space looks like Southern California.
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.