Rihannsu
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 13,521
# 21
10-31-2012, 04:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hevach View Post
It's not a get out of jail free card, though. There is a family of metalloproteins that contain copper but no iron, Plastocyanin, used for electron transfer in plants. They're also blue.
You're missing the point. The actual point is that Romulans have an oxygen carrrying protein in their blood that isn't found in any species native to Earth.

And besides.... Hemocyanin makes blood cyan(blue-green)... not blue. The protein itself might be blue(when oxygenated) but the blood containing it isn't.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Ensign
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 15
# 22
10-31-2012, 04:40 PM
So Smurfs are sulphur based?
Rihannsu
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 13,521
# 23
10-31-2012, 06:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyp448 View Post
So Smurfs are sulphur based?
Some "secondary canon" sources claim that the Smurf metabolism actually runs on gold instead of anything we would recognize as biochemistry.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Lieutenant
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 77
# 24
11-01-2012, 06:13 AM
Isn't Star Trek great? Where else can you find this kind of debate!
Commander
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 408
# 25
11-01-2012, 09:50 AM
All you need to know about Smurfs is that they fly really far when you kick them.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 633
# 26
11-01-2012, 09:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by devencombs View Post
I think it's great that the devs have brought back a classic, though modified, creature from TOS. There's one problem though: if these creatures feed on copper based blood, they might want to chase after Andorians.
Copper based blood is blue, like that of an octopus, or possibly an Andorian. But Romulans, as well as Vulcans, have green blood, which means their blood is sulfur based. Even in the numerous Star Trek novels and information websites, Vulcan and Romulan blood is recognized as sulfur based. Please make the correction.
I disagree..

a copper penny > a copper penny over time is oxidized > the oxidation on a copper penny is green (statue of liberty???)

vulcans have green blood > a TOS episode referred to copper > vulcans a breathing oxygen like the rest of us > oxygen in copper based blood would oxidize copper > vulcans have green blood
my new saying is "cryptic made me do it" in lieu of the the "devil"
Member since January 2010. I AM NOT A PWE FAN!!!!
Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,032
# 27
11-01-2012, 09:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by markhawkman View Post
Some "secondary canon" sources claim that the Smurf metabolism actually runs on gold instead of anything we would recognize as biochemistry.
That makes some sense. Gargamel was tryng to sometimes "boil" them because they would then turn into gold.

Of course there were the times he was trying to eat them for some reason.
Handle: @kirian_darkstar
Registered: Oct/2009 , LTS : Feb/2011
Fleets: Warriors of the Phoenix, Kirian Industries
Three years and still no Captain Klaa hair...
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,599
# 28
11-01-2012, 10:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkstarkirian View Post
That makes some sense. Gargamel was tryng to sometimes "boil" them because they would then turn into gold.

Of course there were the times he was trying to eat them for some reason.
Something about their magic, usually. Though the show had trouble maintaining continuity over the course of single episodes, let alone the entire run, and even had trouble deciding if Gargamel was a wizard or an ogre.
Lieutenant
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 34
# 29
11-01-2012, 10:14 AM
Sulfur based blood would be a yellow tinge to it...medically and scientifically speaking. Copper based blood is green...look at horseshoe crabs. We use their copper based blood for scientific and medical purposes everyday. Elemental sulfur is yellow.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:36 PM.