Starfleet Veteran
# 11
11-01-2012, 01:25 PM
If they get a report, the automated system scans. the automated system has to get at least 1 hit somewhere for the site to get blacklisted.

As long as they refuse to release their criteria for determining badware, though, it's anyone's guess why. Their admitted false positive rate is nearly one in four, and a huge number of their supposedly "confirmed" positives are cleared by McAfee, who themselves have a terrible false alarm rate.

Probably an ad script somewhere, though. 4 pages out of 90 hit, 0 consistent (meaning on a second check none of the four came positive).

Last edited by hevach; 11-01-2012 at 01:27 PM.
Survivor of Romulus
# 12
11-01-2012, 01:32 PM
yeah..I'll have what your smoking.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by borticuscryptic View Post
I find this line of replies sadly hilarious. We put a lot of work into the massive list of fixes/changes above, and ya'll are hung up on the ability to skip our content. =p
Ensign
ive been using the wiki with no problems for a bit now, and today when i try to visit the page to check a few things i get the page block red banner from google (i use chrome) saying that there is now malware, according to the report somone has hacked into the wiki page and installed a virus.... any other google chrome users see this? and maybe someone should look into it? i didnt know where else to post it so if its the wrong spot sorry lol
space is disease and danger wrapped in darkness and silence
Captain
# 14
11-01-2012, 01:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diagnostic page for www.stowiki.org
What happened when Google visited this site?

Of the 43 pages we tested on the site over the past 90 days, 4 page(s) resulted in malicious software being downloaded and installed without user consent. The last time Google visited this site was on 2012-11-01, and the last time suspicious content was found on this site was on 2012-11-01.
^^ This part worries me! Anyway, I hope they can fix it sometime soon.
Survivor of Romulus
# 15
11-01-2012, 01:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwebranflakes View Post
I've received an update from Curse:I'll provide further updates when I have them

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
Thanks Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by borticuscryptic View Post
I find this line of replies sadly hilarious. We put a lot of work into the massive list of fixes/changes above, and ya'll are hung up on the ability to skip our content. =p
Starfleet Veteran
# 16
11-01-2012, 01:49 PM
yes;

http://safebrowsing.clients.google.c...hrome&hl=en-GB

**edit, apologies, people posting quicker than I could
Captain
# 17
11-01-2012, 01:51 PM
The Devs at Cryptic and the 3rd party company that host and maintain STOWiki are already aware of the problem...

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...11#post6361111

EDIT: Ninja'd by thread merge!! lol
Starfleet Veteran
# 18
11-01-2012, 02:07 PM
Quote:
STO wiki is in not run or maintained by Cryptic or PWE. I have reached out to Curse (the company that runs and maintains it) to investigate. As with any 3rd-part site, enter at your own risk and, with the internet in general, it's always good to have an anti-virus program.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
Quote:
I've received an update from Curse:I'll provide further updates when I have them

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
Brandon, I understand that you're not obligated to really do anything in regards to this issue, but the fact that you are is appreciated by myself, and I'm sure by a great deal many others. Thank you.
Captain
# 19
11-01-2012, 02:19 PM
For those of you concerned about doing your dailies and referencing answers for the Academy Lore Mission from http://www.stowiki.org/Lore ... I decided to log in with my secondary pc, ignored the warning and proceeded to the page.

After a quick virus scan, AVG found nothing malicious at all. So therefore, that particular page seems safe to use. Well, for me anyway. If anyone else has found a problem with that page and use anything other than AVG for virus protection, please post below and let us know about it!
Lieutenant
# 20
11-01-2012, 02:45 PM
im not good with these things but from what ive heard and read ,i think the hackers ,might be Anonymous,capture/seize some servers to create a "big powerful machine" used to crack/hack some codes ,perhaps banking OR to use these servers as a host (fake IP) and from there to launch an attack with their computers..

On a wikia there is no valuable data for hackers i think but the servers/networks cand offer great free services to hackers..i think

I'm a wikia contributor, i spent lot of time making new pages , mostly for assignments,packs, some doffs lists and i hope they wont delete pages or fill pages with spams..
"Every moment we live, we are moving through time." (Vosk, on the power of time travel, "Storm Front"- ENTERPRISE season 4 episode 1)

Last edited by criss11; 11-01-2012 at 02:52 PM.