Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Captain
# 11
10-31-2012, 11:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoleviathan99 View Post
When I first saw it, I assumed it was a holoprojector malfunction we were cleaning up. And then when I read the backstory, it made a lot less sense. It's basically a training class to teach people who are already Academy graduates how to be jerks.
I'm perfectly okay with being a jerk. Cause well, sometimes you have to be a jerk. I see nothing wrong with it being in another area on another planet (Next adventure zone perhaps?) but Starfleet Academy should have something that encourages teamwork rather than hinders it. That's a lesson for the cold cruel universe to teach.
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.
Captain
# 12
10-31-2012, 11:16 PM
Quote:
In general, I think COMBAT PvP is the worst kind and worst received kind of PvP whereas the indirect stuff is potent and easier to maintain if you're willing to own up and treat it as PvP, as other developers do.
Why do you think people are asking for persistent territory control?
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.
Career Officer
# 13
10-31-2012, 11:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by centersolace View Post
Why do you think people are asking for persistent territory control?
Yeah. Personally, I would like DOff PvP as I envision it being very much like the old Star Trek CCG.

Y'Know, set-up multi-stage DOff assignments using template items. If they fail, you win. If they win, you fail. It would almost have to involve adding DOff equipment and letting the obstacle creator lay at least one good surprise.

Just keeping it very simple: You have a "surprise card." They have an "anti-surprise countermeasure." Whether those line up is part chance.
Captain
# 14
11-01-2012, 03:05 AM
Ignoring most of the arguement up to this point, I think there has been previous talks about a Dilithium mine that is in contest between the two factions, and they have to fight for control over the mine. If they are in control, their faction gets a small be appreciable amount of dilithium through a 100% successful doff mission. The losing side gets nothing for that week.
Career Officer
# 15
11-01-2012, 07:33 AM
I frequent the Academy event when ever I possibly can. Yesterday I managed to get just over 6k dilithium at the event. I would have had more, except I was in direct competition for glowie blue dots.
When an instance gets above 25 at the Academy the number of people to dots makes it difficult to maintain a good dots per minute rate (particle per minute?).
When I notice that there are too many people I start checking to see if there are other instances with fewer people. Usually there are not. And even if you switch instances the new one will begin to fill up. So even switching takes time and that takes away from the point of the encounter.
I have to agree that this event is specifically designed to foster a competitive environment. In this environment players are competing against other players for a limited resource. YES it is limited. Yes they respawn, however, it is limited by time. If you can't click a blue glowie because another person beat you to it, or if you have to run a larger distance because 2 or 3 people came into the area you are in and now there are no glowies then that will LIMIT how many particles you can get, and therefore how much dilithium you can get.
It is therefore LIMITED. The limit is not the glowie, but by time. If this event was a 24 hour event then I would agree that it is not limited, as people beating you to something would be a nuisance not a limiting factor.
So, if you do not call people directly competing against each other PvP then please give me another term that fits. Because it seems like PvP to me.
Also as far as DEVs calling non-combat play PvP another example are the Markets in City of Heroes. The DEVs there were quite clear that they considered that a PvP arena.

(BTW, can we please get somebody to send the silly cadets to class during the event? I don't know how many times I have had attempts stopped by cadets pushing me out of the way. It is irritating when you almost have a glowie scanned, you get pushed out of the way just as somebody else comes up and takes the dot you almost scanned. Not PvP? Yah right.)
Super Moderator
# 16
11-01-2012, 09:40 AM
I think I'd be more interested in something similar to the Academy event (a harvesting minigame) that was more cooperative.

The Academy event itself should probably be left alone... the competitive nature completely fits the Klingon Academy, at least, even if the running around scanning particles does not.
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online forums -- My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a "forums and website" support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
Captain
# 17
11-01-2012, 03:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyeto13 View Post
Ignoring most of the arguement up to this point, I think there has been previous talks about a Dilithium mine that is in contest between the two factions, and they have to fight for control over the mine. If they are in control, their faction gets a small be appreciable amount of dilithium through a 100% successful doff mission. The losing side gets nothing for that week.
I've heard such winds, and I hope they blow over us.

Career Officer
# 18
11-01-2012, 04:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by centersolace View Post
I've heard such winds, and I hope they blow over us.
I think the ideal for some kind of dilithium mine play is probably Nors as a fleet holding, seeing as how they're mining platforms. DS9 obviously didn't get used as such but I'd think the Cardassians (and Remans) would be the go-to experts in mining.
Captain
# 19
11-01-2012, 04:08 PM
Quote:
I think the ideal for some kind of dilithium mine play is probably Nors as a fleet holding, seeing as how they're mining platforms. DS9 obviously didn't get used as such but I'd think the Cardassians (and Remans) would be the go-to experts in mining.
I can see that happening.

I was hoping that we could fight over the new romulan sector. Highly disappointed that does not seem to be the case.