Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Federation Gameplay
Login

Captain
Just spitballing here. This would be a single set bonus for the Exploration cruiser line that would come with Antimatter spread + Saucer Separation (not Chevron).

Deflector Beam
Targets Foe
45' Targeting Arc
10 kilometer range
5 sec charge
0.5 sec activate
5 min recharge
to target: 10,000 Kinetic Damage with 50% shield penetration (33.3 DPS)
to target: 1% chance to disable all subsystems
to self: -100 Current Engine Power

Affected by: Particle Generators and Engine power level
Cannot be used while in separated flight mode, due to needing the extra power from the saucer impulse fusion reactors.
Captain
# 2
11-02-2012, 04:14 AM
Looks like MACO 3 set ability to me.
Empire Veteran
# 3
11-02-2012, 04:14 AM
I wouldn't mind this ability Sure it didn't work in Best of Both Worlds, but that was only because the Borg were prepared for the attack.

Anything they can't anticapate though, CAN hurt them
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalnar83 View Post
Actually, the Heavy Graviton Beam and the Deflector Dish blast were completely separate, even as they were both from the same episode

Also, the Heavy Graviton Beam was mentioned as being one of the ideas that just wouldn't work, or needed 18/24 months to actually be ready to create. The ability here was improvised, so it's not really the same thing
Was named Trek17, but still an author.

Last edited by trek21; 11-02-2012 at 04:17 AM.
Captain
# 4
11-02-2012, 04:22 AM
Quote:
My idea does a heck of a lot more damage than the failbeam the MACO set offers, it would have a longer cooldown and would lack the repel/slow abilities of the graviton beam. It also comes at a hefty price, taking 5 seconds to fire, requires you to sit still and fire at a practically stationary target, nukes your engines and would make you dead in the water for a few seconds after (only an Exploration cruiser can handle its engines going down and not die).

Plus it's exclusive to a cruiser type that has seen zero love from the devs.
Captain
# 5
11-02-2012, 04:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fulleatherjacket View Post
My idea does a heck of a lot more damage than the failbeam the MACO set offers...
Have you ever tried that "fail" beam on max aux (aux battery) with some points in particle generators ? It's like 20k dmg for tac captain

But tbh, I do not like your ability much. There is already the phaser lance for Galaxy-X. There is already deflector beam for MACO set. If the dread eventually gets saucer sep, it would have access to THREE semi-same high dmg abilities....
Captain
# 6
11-02-2012, 04:29 AM
Quote:
Have you ever tried that "fail" beam on max aux (aux battery) with some points in particle generators ? It's like 20k dmg for tac captain
See that's the problem. Tac captains are overpowered.

Quote:
But tbh, I do not like your ability much. There is already the phaser lance for Galaxy-X. There is already deflector beam for MACO set. If the dread eventually gets saucer sep, it would have access to THREE semi-same high dmg abilities....
Or, it could be a three piece set bonus like the Jem Hadar set: Bonus only becomes active on the Exploration Cruiser Retrofit and Fleet Exploration Cruiser Retrofit. Seriously, that ship needs some love.

Last edited by fulleatherjacket; 11-02-2012 at 04:31 AM.
Empire Veteran
# 7
11-02-2012, 04:30 AM
Quote:

And Galaxy-X captains have been wanting a buff because the Vesta has rendered their ship out-of-date, so...

But really, if it's that much of a concern, those 3 specific Beam abilities can share a global cooldown. Or something
Was named Trek17, but still an author.
Captain
# 8
11-02-2012, 04:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by trek21 View Post
And Galaxy-X captains have been wanting a buff because the Vesta has rendered their ship out-of-date, so...

But really, if it's that much of a concern, those 3 specific Beam abilities can share a global cooldown. Or something
Or as I said above, it could be a three piece set bonus like the Jem Hadar set: Bonus only becomes active on the Exploration Cruiser Retrofit and Fleet Exploration Cruiser Retrofit. Seriously, that ship needs some love.
Career Officer
# 9
11-02-2012, 06:23 AM
And here I thought you were going to suggest a set bonus that enhanced your seperated saucer by giving it the ability to use Antimatter Spread. Bah.

In seriousness this would be a pretty neat thing to see and limiting it to the Exploration cruiser line is a nice idea. Still, I'd like to see it reworked a smidge so that it doesn't make an ungainly, slow ship even more ungainly and slow. I mean my experience with the Galaxy (at Captain level) is that it's even more difficult to turn and use effectively than the Bortasqu which itself makes the Odyssey look nimble.
Captain
# 10
11-02-2012, 06:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by canis36 View Post
And here I thought you were going to suggest a set bonus that enhanced your seperated saucer by giving it the ability to use Antimatter Spread. Bah..
The saucer already does that when separated if you have antimatter spread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by canis36 View Post
In seriousness this would be a pretty neat thing to see and limiting it to the Exploration cruiser line is a nice idea. Still, I'd like to see it reworked a smidge so that it doesn't make an ungainly, slow ship even more ungainly and slow. I mean my experience with the Galaxy (at Captain level) is that it's even more difficult to turn and use effectively than the Bortasqu which itself makes the Odyssey look nimble.
Sure engine drain for this ability would be a drag, but there has to be a tradeoff in the proposal I'm making. And saucer sep already makes the Exploration cruiser turn fast. But even without that, the Exploration cruiser does indeed turn faster than the Bortasqu.